Opinions on a Tuning Shootout

• Thread starter VacantPlanet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Hey fellow SevenStringers. I've been playing around lately with several new tunings(for me) and I'm somewhat at a stand still about which one I like better. I've played around with about 4 different tunings. There are things I like about each one, but I just can't decide. I was wondering if I could get some input?

Quick notes: These clips were quickly thrown together. So not a lot of tweaking was done. The same guitar was used for all clips. A hardtail mahogany bodied guitar with Randall pickups. Amps used were Podfarm models of the 5150/Deizal Herbert into an orange 2X12 impulse I found on the net.

The tunings used from low to high/whatever is- Drop B tuned to 4ths(B, F#, B, E A D),C# Standard (C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#), Drop C# tuned to 4ths (C#,G#,C#, F#, B, E), and D# Standard (D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#). Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
beerbang.gif

Tunings in Context
https://soundcloud.com/rendered-in-steel/tuning-shootout-songs

Guitars/Bass Only
https://soundcloud.com/rendered-in-steel/shootout-guitars-only

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I vote drop B :) I think it sounded best for that riff by far. Also it's very much low enough, and riffs on the second string being that little bit lower in F# I like also :D B is a tuning in which you can do anything and sound low enough but not too low.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I like about that tuning. I enjoy tuning down but at the same time, I also want to maintain clarity. I've got a 7 for lower stuff, but it may be on its way out the door, so I'm toying around with altered tuning. All of the drop tunings are in 4ths on the higher strings, because I feel that causes to play in ways I normally wouldn't. Anyone else?