Opinions on my genre.... is this music to niche for most to enjoy?

• Thread starter Rockwaves101
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rockwaves101

Reaction score
Hi SS.org

I really wanted to get your opinions on the genre of music my band is playing. We are really struggling at the moment to find bands similar to us and also to find promoters who put on this sort of music. My question is: Is this music too niche for most people to enjoy? Could you see yourself listening to it?

Another problem we are facing is finding a replacement bass player. Hitting the same wall again finding someone who enjoys this music seems to be impossible. Any advice for what I can do would be really great.

Links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00RlXdfLhI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gAYj0ynhg

Thanks in advance...:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Does not sound niche at all. In fact it seems like it has taken some features from lots of other established (mainstream-ish) bands.

emujarofhagas

Reaction score
I agree, definitely doesn't sound too niche. I highly suggest using Facebook as much as you can to network, since that can help both to find a new bass player and shows to play. There are plenty of like-minded musicians out there who'd be down to play progressive rock/metal, it's just a matter of finding them.

Rizzo

Reaction score
I actually don't hear anything niche, indeed it's the music going on mainstream metal nowadays. You'll find someone, keep trying!

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
This is niche? Sounds like a lot of Tool, post 2005 Deftones and standard 2010 onwards djenty off beat riffing. Your problem more than likely lies in the fact you live on the Isle of Wight, with only 140,000 odd people on the island. If you were in a major city I'd guess that you'd find a bassist in no time.

FWIW, I liked some of the riffs in that song, but really did not like the lyrics or vocals, and I'm not a fan of this current trend of lyric videos with the lyrics flashing up on screen cut over various scenic backdrops.

Rockwaves101

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice/responses. I know we aren't 'out of this world left field' it just seems hard to find people at our amateur-ish level to gig with. I'll keep up the the facebook spamming in hopes of finding a new bassist :)

Rockwaves101

Reaction score
This is niche? Sounds like a lot of Tool, post 2005 Deftones and standard 2010 onwards djenty off beat riffing. Your problem more than likely lies in the fact you live on the Isle of Wight, with only 140,000 odd people on the island. If you were in a major city I'd guess that you'd find a bassist in no time.

FWIW, I liked some of the riffs in that song, but really did not like the lyrics or vocals, and I'm not a fan of this current trend of lyric videos with the lyrics flashing up on screen cut over various scenic backdrops.

I guess I just come up against thousands upon thousands of 'landfill' indie bands in London. We don't actually live on the Isle of Wight any more... Need to get that changed!!

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
i really like the sludge-deftones vibe in the first song, i'd play bass for you

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
made me think of this, or a 2013 version of this:

If you ask whether it is too niche, it depends; compared to all the music in the world it is slightly niche and I suppose you can never hope to out-sell Madonna, but within it's genre it is not at all too difficult to approach, and there is a large enough group of people who like this type of music for you to be successful no doubt.

I really hope you find a bass-player and that you can keep going to see where this project takes you! Peace

Rockwaves101

Reaction score
I like the music, but the whole "my genre" thing is arrogant.

Hi im sorry I really didnt mean for it to come across as arrogant at all! I only put 'my genre' because I understand that genres are really up to peoples interpretation. Im in the band so im really not in an objective position to say what catagory it fits into. 'My genre' was just put in the title to be non-specific. Not an ego thing. I can only apologise.

Rockwaves101

Reaction score
made me think of this, or a 2013 version of this:

If you ask whether it is too niche, it depends; compared to all the music in the world it is slightly niche and I suppose you can never hope to out-sell Madonna, but within it's genre it is not at all too difficult to approach, and there is a large enough group of people who like this type of music for you to be successful no doubt.

I really hope you find a bass-player and that you can keep going to see where this project takes you! Peace

Ohh wow. Thats my favourite band, song and album... so that is extremely good of you to say it sounds even remotely like this thanks alot for the inspiring feedback.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like Karnivool to me.
Im really into the song 'Rite'

Miijk

Walking E-string
Reaction score
Would not say it's too niche either! But all in all: kind of interesting music, not a big fan of some of the instrumentality but there are some cool parts and I totally dig the vocals! :yesway:

Wish you luck with the bass-player! Lost our bassist in my band as well actually, good thing our singer could take that part in the meantime!

silent suicide

Winter is coming
Reaction score
I like this genre, but the lyrical video's are getting a bit old, and boring..
Rite is a good song, nice blend of calmness and heavy riffage..

Edit: you got a facebook page for your band ?