Opinions on older Carvin DC 747

• Thread starter setsuna7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to trade one(with my 3570z)this weekend,
Since Carvins especially The extended range kind are pretty much rare where I come from, I need your opinions/suggestions on them. The one will be getting is the hardtail version, no piezo. Bone stock. According to the current owner, it's about 2003/04, definitely pre-Kiesel, even has the old headstock style.

Thanks,
Setsuna7

🤘🏼🤘🏼:metal::metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
A friend and I went down to the Sacramento store back in 2008 when it was still open, and he ordered a decked-out DC747. It was an amazing guitar, and while I was in the store, I played as many as I could, all were awesome. I still remember an oil (or satin) finished one-pickup holdsworth that was amazing, and I wish I could have bought.

As far as playability goes, they were great in my opinion. The resale back then was pretty low, seems to be better now. Sound-wise, I can only really speak to my friends DC747 as its the only one I've had long-term experience with. Sounded decent, but it wasn't his best sounding guitar, even if it was his most expensive.

Also, pickup routes were smaller than standard, so you need to either sand down the edges or grind the pickup baseplate down to fit SD's or DiMarzios in.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
^Ha! I played one in the Sac store too... go figure.

Anyway, I really liked the neck and fretwork on it. Their styling dates them a bit IMHO, but if you like it, you like it. I don't remember if I i even plugged it in, so I can't really comment on the pickups. I find the C22s in my Carvin 6 quite good, though.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
My first 7 was a DC 727 with a Floyd Rose. I bough it used and cannot remember the date, or never knew, but I loved it. It had an alder body and a maple top. It was of very high quality, par with my Gibson CS ES339, with exception to the pickups.

As was mentioned before, the routes are annoying, actually, I had to have a luthier expand my routes on another DC727 I had (sold the first one to purchase the second one direct from then Carbon.) So, that was a hassle, but I loved the guitar enough to put the cash into having it done professionally.

I liked the neck, the stock pickups weren't terrible, 5$3 body was light and there was good rosonance (important to me just because I like playing guitars without an amp a lot), and the guitar felt super solid. So, I would recommend the DC747 based on my experience with the 727, which is only different because of the middle pickup.

Edika

Reaction score
I had a DC747 and it was a really nice guitar with really good playability and a comfy neck profile. I liked the pickups and it took me about two years to decide to change them to a D-Sonic and AirNorton. I kept the single coil as I quite liked it. The Dimarzio pickups were tighter and hotter and did improve the sound but it wasn't in the effect of changing stock no name pickups to something else. They were warmer and mid to high output pickups. The routes are annoyingly small if you want to change pickups but Dimarzio base plates can fit with a bit of shaping on the tabs.
The one I had had a one piece maple neck, mahogany wings, ebony fretboard and walnut top and it looked good. The neck was rock solid and required low maintenance. The action could be set really low with minimal buzz even on the low string. Only reason I sold it was that I needed the money and had decided 7 strings weren't for me back then.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I have a DC727 from 2003. It's still my favourite guitar.