Orange PPC 412 vs Mesa Oversized 412 vs Bogner Uberkab 412

andwhatnot

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but have been using it for info anonymously for a while for the occasional information. It seemed like the right website to start asking some questions I had on some gear. Basically, it's what the title says. Need a studio ready amp, that would be easy to go with on long tours, probably sitting in a van for long periods of time. I am leaning towards the Orange cab, but I'll let you guys try to pesuade my one way or another, I'm up to try anything. Of course I live in f***ing Maine, so our Guitar Center is small and never has more than 20 amps, so I haven't been able to try any of them out, so I have to go off pure reviews. Plus I'm going into the studio in a month (band called Bones of Ego, were releasing our debut EP in a few months so look out for it. Just thought id stick a plug in there for us.), and I need it to sound good in there, cause it would be what I used for all future recordings. For those of you that may be curious, my current rig is a Schecter Blackjack ATX C1-FR, and an ESP Eclipse II in Volcano Red I may be getting soon, into a pedalboard with various effects and noise gates and what not, and into a Peavey 6505+, into (currently) that shitty free cab that Guitar Center gives you when you buy the 6505+.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
Shoot for a used Mesa cab dude. You can score them for $400-$500 in good condition and they are fantastic cabs. I really like Orange cabs, but the wooden planks/no casters is a deal breaker for me, plus a Boogie cab is much easier to find if you're on a budget.

evilsaint

Reaction score
For me, Uberkab > Recto cab > Orange PPC.
Really love the tone combination of V30/G12T75 from Uberkab.

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Hey man, I am selling a really good condition Mesa Rec Slant 4x12 cab in PEI here in Atlantic Canada, I am not too far from Maine at all, if you are interested, I would be def willing to meet you halfway, perhaps somewhere in New Brunswick? Pm me or txt me 902 388 4343 if you are interested, thanks!

thepylestory

tunamelt
Reaction score
im rockin an Engl Savage with the Orange PPC 4x12. Its an awesome cab, i love it. At the same time i want the Uber and Oversized. All in all i think you cant go wrong man.:hbang:

andwhatnot

Reaction score
Alright guys, thanks. If I do with the recto cab I will def hit you up TaylorMacPhail on your offer, i'll let you know. Say that I have enough money for any cab, you guys still suggest Mesa?

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I know I'm in a biased position, but I like the cab, I just need to sell it in order to afford an Axe Fx, and I can run it through my line 6 tubed 2x12 combo anyways :p

Attercop

Reaction score
Well first you need to figure out what speakers you want: decide if you prefer the sound of all V30s, or the mix of V30s/T75s in the Uberkab. The speakers are going to make a much bigger difference than the cab itself will, so make that decision and go from there. If you do decide you like straight V30s better, that's when you can worry about the Mesa vs Orange thing, which is pretty subjective.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Uberkabs are great but chances are good that you wont' find one for nearly as cheap as a Mesa and they don't pop up as often used as Mesa cabs do. A 4x12 Mesa cabinet is always a solid bet and since you can pick them up for $500 used all day long it's not a bad deal. :yesway: I'd go for the Uberkab personally but you'll likely end up spending a good bit more.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I'd also vote for the UberKab. It cuts better than the other 2... especially the Mesa cabs which always sound too dark, muddy and bass heavy to me.

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
Another vote for the Ubercab but in consideration of your gigs, transport and all that abuse, the Mesa handles better the abuse, also you can switch the speakers to get the mix of the ubercab.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Uberkab.

I have a Mesa Recto OS cab and it is way too boomy and flubby for a 5150/6505 if you are looking for a tight metal sound, especially if you down tune (e.g Born of Osiris type stuff). I bought a Framus Cobra 412 and words can't express how much better that is than the Mesa OS, and that is just with celestion heritage speakers (at lower volumes). I've talked to Peavey, FJA mods, and Voodoo mods and they all said stay away from the OS for that type of sound it wasn't acoustically designed for that style with those amps. I know Nick (Zimbloth on here) is in the same boat he recommended me the Fryette or Uber for the same reasons.

So, depending on your style I would go Uber, Fryette, Orange PPC412-HP (with the G12k100 speakers), Engl Pro, etc...

If $1k is too much look into a 212 with the G12k100 speakers. I believe you can get one from Avatar for around $500.

Good luck and hope this helps...

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Usually my choice is Orange > Über > Mesa.

However, there is only one exclusion to this, which is the Peavey 5150/6505 (II/+), where my choice of cab would be Mesa > all.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
^ I have that exact setup and sounds like piss. :scratch:

Also depends on your style... I never noticed a problem when I was playing 80's/90's (EVH, Extreme, Megadeth, etc) type stuff... soon as I downtuned and started playing 7-strings and wanted articulate/tight sound I noticed how flubby/loose/boomy it was.

OH well OP, sorry... I guess just try shit out and go with what you like. Make a trip down to a GC in NH/MA.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but have been using it for info anonymously for a while for the occasional information. It seemed like the right website to start asking some questions I had on some gear. Basically, it's what the title says. Need a studio ready amp, that would be easy to go with on long tours, probably sitting in a van for long periods of time. I am leaning towards the Orange cab, but I'll let you guys try to pesuade my one way or another, I'm up to try anything. Of course I live in f***ing Maine, so our Guitar Center is small and never has more than 20 amps, so I haven't been able to try any of them out, so I have to go off pure reviews. Plus I'm going into the studio in a month (band called Bones of Ego, were releasing our debut EP in a few months so look out for it. Just thought id stick a plug in there for us.), and I need it to sound good in there, cause it would be what I used for all future recordings. For those of you that may be curious, my current rig is a Schecter Blackjack ATX C1-FR, and an ESP Eclipse II in Volcano Red I may be getting soon, into a pedalboard with various effects and noise gates and what not, and into a Peavey 6505+, into (currently) that shitty free cab that Guitar Center gives you when you buy the 6505+.
Basically, I am in the same situation as you. Being from Maine, I have had to rely on reviews from various sites. I run a Peavey 6505+ and I have done so since the first 5150 II came out but my cabs were always lackluster and for years I used the shitty cab that came with my amp too. I moved over to a Blue VooDoo 4x12 5 years ago that was loaded with V30s and it sounded so much better but last year I wanted to upgrade again so I went on a search. Of course GC in Portland had absolutely nothing.

BUT!!!!!

Buckdancers Choice in Portland is definitely the way to go. I believe they have Mesas and Orange in there. At least last time I went in they did but that was awhile ago, so you may want to give them a call before you go.

As for me, I decided to take a chance on a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12 and I have not regretted it. For me, it is the sound I was always looking for.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i like the Orange but there's something about the mesa that just does it for metal, can't comment on the ubercab but i sure as hell would love to stick a boost 6505 on top of one and see what comes out, i imagine it'd be thick and brutal

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Try something with Celestion G12k100s before you buy anything... trust me.

I put one of these and Classic Lead in my 5150 212 combo (recommended by the same people I mentioned earlier) and it is AMAZING.

andwhatnot

Reaction score
So from what I've heard, a Bogner Uberschall may be the better choice? I watched a few a/b comparisons and really like the tone and definition, and GC wouldn't ship down two cabs for me to compare, or even one, before I already bought them. I might go to that store that Double A was talking about and compare between the mesa recto and orange ppc if they have them, then take the winner of that and compare to Uberschall (somehow), and the winner of that is my cab. Or something like that. Maybe I'll order the Uberschall, bring it into that Buckdancers place in PO and compare, and return the uberschall if it loses. Idk, any suggestions would be welcomed.