Orchestra

wretchedspawn

Conquering theThrone
Reaction score
I want to start using some orchestra parts in our songs but I need a bit of help. I found a sound I really like, but I dont know all the instruments involved. It would be a great help if someone could identify these for me.
Royalty Free Music Sample Player
I can obviously hear the snare and timpani but I don't know the rest. Also, if possible, could someone tell me how each instrument is used to voice the chords?

One more thing. Are there any good sounding soundfonts or samplers for this sort of thing that are free or not hundreds of dollars like the East West products?

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

French horn
Trombone

you can get ediroll orchestra, it sounds better then this soundclip and isn't bigger then 300mb

D

Desecrated

Ediroll Orchestra seems pretty cool. Any others I might wanna look into?

garritan personal orchestra is somewhat halfgood. it works well to do layer to ediroll, but east west symphony gold or platinum edition is probably the best.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
From what I have experienced (and how I arrange) there isn't a "set" but if I am using horns and strings, then I will lay out the root tones with the contrabass and cellos, use the the violas and violins for the 3rds and 5ths, and then use a horn section for other tones, (2nds/9ths, min6ths, ect)

Of course there is no right or wrong, and you might find that you like the horns doing ___ and the strings doing ____. My suggestions would be pick up some orchestra peices that you like and listen. I would actually say pick up damnation and a day or have someone who has it let you borrow it. The interrem peices for the "chapters" are very epic (think the new dimmu but moreso imo)

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
East West Symphonic Orchestra is great and is pretty much the current standard for symphonic VST. Garritan Personal Orchestra is also pretty good and is cheaper, but I think it's still something like $200. I'm not personally aware of anything cheaper than Garritan that sounds half as good. :(

D

Desecrated

East West Symphonic Orchestra is great and is pretty much the current standard for symphonic VST. Garritan Personal Orchestra is also pretty good and is cheaper, but I think it's still something like $200. I'm not personally aware of anything cheaper than Garritan that sounds half as good. :(

Nobody buys software today :D

Eddie Loves You

Reaction score
I do this stuff for living, I buy hardware and hire musician instead.

I, along with almost everyone outside of feature film scoring, don't have the budget to hire an orchestra. And logistically, preparing 30 different parts for real musicians is a pain in the ass compared to sequencing in DP.

D

Desecrated

I, along with almost everyone outside of feature film scoring, don't have the budget to hire an orchestra. And logistically, preparing 30 different parts for real musicians is a pain in the ass compared to sequencing in DP.

I don't hire an orchestra either, The biggest budget I had allowed my to get an string quartet and a trumpet play. Then I scored around them with ediroll orchestra and east west.

A good example of hiring a musician was one of my horrorcore project where we hired a keyharp player, a small 4 man choir and a drummer. That alone cost about 1600 dollars.

"preparing 30 different parts for real musicians is a pain in the ass "

I know, I prepared a piece for trumpet, euphonium and french horn. Just converting everything to transposing notation (might be wrong term in english, i hope you get what i mean) almost made me pour salt on my dog.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I think edirol's orchestral sounds pretty good. I did my whole black metal intro on my music page with it (while some of the orchestra isn't mixed well), and I think it sounds fairly good.