Other bands asking to use your gear

• Thread starter Thanatopsis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only person who's been at a gig and been asked by a member of another band to use some of your equipment or instruments. I've only been asked twice, once for a guitar, once for an amp and didn't let them. One time though, my amps ride had to leave anyways(I drive an Audi TT and with the back seats folded down, it's an inch too narrow to fit my 4x12) so a friend was putting it in his car and had to leave after we finished playing. It's not that I'm a selfish dick, I might do it for someone I knew as long as I trusted them. I take very good care of my things(not just music gear, if I spend my money on something, I'm going to treat it well). With random people, I don't know that they put the same care into things as I do. Overall though I'd always be more open to letting someone use an amp than a guitar.

So how do you guys feel about this and usually handle the situation?

Also, unless something happens at the last minute, I question the type of person that thinks it's OK to show up to a gig without even knowing for sure that you will have an instrument and/or amp to play. That's one of the most unprofessional things I can think of to do. If you don't end up getting stuff to use, I wouldn't plan on the owner having you back to "play" there again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Really depends on the situation for me.

My bass player plays in another band and I'd let him use my pedalboard from time to time.

I'd help out some green kids if theres a malfunction and have several times, both with guitar and amp.

If its an illegal underground show (I play those often), you're not getting shit from me unless you're in my circle.

Think about Karma, too. You might honestly need help one night..

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I've let a few people use my amp and cab, no biggie really... I just keep my eye on it.

Beats loading it in the car and keeping an eye on the car...

Given To Fly

Reaction score
"Be charitable if someone is in genuine need, but do not let people take advantage of you." I figure this is a good rule of thumb for gear and life. :yesway:

downburst82

Reaction score
Just don't ever lend your guitar to Prince...

The-Roots-Captain-Kirk-Epiphone-Crestwood.jpg

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
"Be charitable if someone is in genuine need, but do not let people take advantage of you." I figure this is a good rule of thumb for gear and life. :yesway:
Yeah, I understand shit happens because sometimes things that are beyond your control get in your way. The odds of me loaning a guitar vs amp are much less(though both are low). For anything though, a big part of the consideration would be the vibe I get from the person and how responsible and trustworthy they come off as. And look at their car. Regardless of what it is, its condition will tell you how they take care of things.

Reaction score
Every time you book a gig you should figure out who brings what sans breakables (heads/cymbals/snare/etc) either split guitar cabs bass cab and drums or get some extra money and bring it all. But if someone's in a pinch you should always help out if you can. Don't book if the band has a habit.

Bodes

Reaction score
All depends on who they are and what they want/need.

Amps, I'm less picky letting dudes borrow. If from interstate, and they have a gig booked for us in their town, most probably lend my amps. Gives them more space in their car and ditto for the return for us.
Guitars... Most likely not. Unless their a really good mate.
Cables and small shit: not a problems, shit happens sometimes.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
It all depends, if someone shows up and their gear dies while setting up or they are touring, then sure, but if someone shows up and just asks to use the other band's stuff because they did not bother to bring any, then, no.

I played a show where this other band we knew had heard of my iPad/JamUp rig and ragged on me for it, so during soundcheck, said band's guitarist's amp craps out and he asks me if he can borrow my rig, lol, I set him up in 2 minutes and the show went on...:cool:

UncurableZero

Reaction score
I've let other people use my stuff a couple of times, mainly because their main "rig" was crap and we were playing in front of a lot of people. What do you seriously expect when you come to play a show and you only bring your Boss Metal Zone pedal? This happened on one occasion and I was given a couple of annoyed looks when I suggested that they don't plug their pedals straight to FOH.:noplease:
I'm not being an elitist, a lot of unconventional rigs work very well, but nobody should suffer through a whole show of MT-2 -> FOH.
I wouldn't lend any one my guitar if I didn't know them well though.

TBF_Seb

Reaction score
I play a sevenstring and Axe-Fx + active monitor. Most people are confused to play with either anyway :lol:

Guitar: only if I know the person well enough, or it's a case of emergency and I have a decent impression of the person.
Amp: I'd say rather yes than no, but the typical guy is unable to cope with a preprogrammed midi controller + Axe-Fx.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
People could die before I lend my main guitar. And my back up too btw :).
I've never play with some serious furious pro guitarists who didn't have a serious furious pro guitar GEAR....so the only times it happened to me it was some kids that I didn't trust.
I lend only to people as maniac as I am. "Take care of your stuff cause you like it and it's expensive, don't play The Who, you don't have endorsements"
Amps are another story. Like said before, if one of this bastard dies during a gig I would let my amp, but "don't touch my settings before I could get a pic of these dumbass !!!"
Cables and other shit I say yes only if I know the guy, otherwise it's lost. Too many cables lost these years so the store is closed.
"And why I'm the only one who prepare myself to any kind of shit ?" That's the only question sometimes it comes to my mind.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Funny thing, I've only played live (god awfully) 2 times in my life when I was younger, and both times I was asked to lend some part of my gear.

One time was my Digitech DEATH METALURU distortion pedal (oh the sweet metal youth I've been through) from an unknown dude that would play next in the gig that was at a fvcking school I didn't even go to :lol:.

EDIT: I don't care how old you are, get your own fvcking gear. A gig is not craigslist, nor a sampling booth in a guitar store. The guy just liked the pedal and wanted to try it, he didn't need it before he listened to it, he didn't need it afterwards (even if he didn't have a distortion pedal in the first place).

EDIT 2: I heard this particular gem that day: "Well we'll play a couple of Iced Earth covers. One of our guitarists is tuned half step down (as in almost all of the old Iced Earth songs), and the other is tuned to standard. We think it makes an interesting sound" .... :lol:

The second time I was asked to lend my guitar (warlock 7 string- sweet metal youth part 2) to someone I did know, that supposedly had a bit of a problem cause for some reason his floyd rose on his ibanez sunk so he had lots of buzz. I made up the (semi acceptable) excuse that I was tuned half step down, and I didn't want to mess up with my set up. It's not that I didn't trust that guy in particular, it's just I didn't trust his butthead thrash metal bandmates. Since he was the quiet guy in his band, if something happened to the guitar I was negatively predisposed that his bandmates would say "fvck this guy just say it was like that before you used it" or something like that.

EDIT 3: He end up playing with his own guitar. I don't know if he fixed it or something, but I couldn't hear any buzz anyways cause the sound was horrible anyways and you could barely make out the notes.

I know the above aren't anything extreme, but if it's risky to lend your gear when you're a yound adult, imagine how it would be when dealing with 16 year olds...

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
If I know them, I'll all for it because I know they'll respect it as much as I do. I baby all of my stuff. there are some guitars I prefer to keep just as recording guitars because if they got dinged or scratched, I'd probably throw a bitch fit.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
We're kinda small. My drummer and bassist both have been straight up offered house or nicer gear just cause people around here seem to be cool like that :yesway:

I also run Axe/FRFR, so while I'm not against the idea I think it'd do more harm than good, haha.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
If I know the band and trust them then I'll let them use whatever they need if they clear it with me pre-show.

If someones amp craps out right before their set, and its a band I dont really know, I'll let them use it, but watch them like a hawk (and tell them to please let me know if they twiddle any knobs). I definitely wouldn't let somebody I dont really know use my guitars, though.

Experimorph

Reaction score
I think managing this sort of stuff is an integral part of the metal music scene on smaller stages here. My band's always in direct contact with the groups sharing the stage about who's bringing in what beforehand. It's cool to let another band use your amp, for instance, if they arrive from a far-away town and it's been dealt with. As such, we've had the chance to use someone else's amps and cabs as well. I've played through other bands' bass cabs at some places; in return, I've let members of other bands play through my Pod simply because they heard my live sound and liked it.

I'm not as sympathetic when it comes to handing down your own instrument, unless it's really necessary due to strings snapping or something like that. So far, I've never had to borrow anyone's instrument nor have I had to lend mine. Being willing to help and being helped when needed is cool; taking advantage of someone and being taken advantage of ain't.