Other bands asking to use your gear

• Thread starter Thanatopsis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coldandhomeless

Reaction score
Anyone can borrow my rig, but i seriously doubt they would be able to hook it up properly lol. So as long as im the tech, they can use it if they want.
As for guitars, i specifically buy equipment for others to use... i got a bunch of ibanez rgs in different tunings i never use just waiting for someone to use them. But noone gonna play MY main guitars. Helltothe.... no... ring dings, bracelet scrapes, necklace knocks, exaggerated pick scratches...not a chance.... it is fun to have more backup gear in your arsenol than most bands have main gear. Lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
The last gig I play the headlining bassist asked me to borrow my lead which was funny that he brought everything except that, I'll lend my bass but its a 6 string so most people are but off and my amp head & cab as long as their used together, my pedal board is the exception...no one touches my babies.

Enselmis

Reaction score
I borrowed some guy's 5150 one time cause the show was on the 4th floor of this dirty old building with no elevator, and my amp was in the trunk of a car 2 blocks away. Everything went fine. That guy was really nice.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
A friend's band forgot to bring their entire drumkit. Not sure how they managed that. Anyhow, I lent them mine. When I got it back, the lip of the hoop on the snare was bent. Not sure how that guy managed that.

Other than that it's ok though.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
The only piece of gear I let other people use is my cab... as well, you can't really damage it.. If they screw up the impedance match, it's their head that will burn! :rolleyes:

But my answer is always no for amps or guitars...

SkyIllusion

Maine Music Teacher
Reaction score
I've let a few friends use my amp/cab before. It really depends on the situation and I think that is going to be the most common answer.

There have been a few times where I've needed to use an instrument cable and people haven't let me so I tend to not *most* bands in my area use my shit. I normally go by a few things.

Do I know and trust the person?
Did we plan to share gear before hand?
Is the person asking to share gear a jerk and do they look like they know how to handle equipment?
Have I asked this person for help in the past and they have said no?

I've only let a guitar to one person and that was Tom from Last Chance to Reason because I'm really solid friends with those guys.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
In case of an emergency, I will lend everything I can and I'm happy to explain how to use it. If someone's guitar blows up mid-show and we play in a similar tuning, I have no issues giving him mine. Why? Because shit happens unfortunately and no one really wins when a band's show is cut short or can't even begin due to unlucky circumstances.

If someone comes up at a show with only his guitar and is expecting people will lend him stuff it's a slightly different story, not so much because of the gear itself, but because of the wrong attitude.

But in general, I have never had a single issue with anyone using my gear. Some of it (amps, cabs) you can't really break unless you set it on fire, and it's meant to be played after all.

Hemorrhage

Reaction score
I borrow the amps and cabs, especially if its pre-arranged. Usually the venues are so small that there is no point for all bands to haul their cabs and drum kits and w/e to the venue. Its easier for everyone.

I always lend my amp if something breaks up. People are usually a bit intimidated by an Axe FX setup tho. Also if some guys show up with a setup like "I'm just gonna put my pedal straight to the FOH" we usually offer our rigs for the greater good. That of course depends on the person you'd lend it to, if he is a complete twat its instant karma.

If a guy shows up at a venue without his gear and starts begging for people to give him lewt for the gig he is going to have a bad time. The band of our size (and the bands we play with) plays on gigs that 99% of time are a result of co-operation. There is no room for ignorant dickfaces in that scenario.

What you will not borrow is my Amfisound. It's usually worth as much as the other bands whole setup and I'll cut you if you touch it without permission. I'll help you fix your guitar or lend you spare strings but my main guitar is too personal and valuable. If I had a cheapish spare axe then I could consider it.

I would never go ask for gear to borrow from our headliner if I do not know them well unless it was a true "emergency". An amateur move.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I've shared my cabs along with my bass player sharing his whenever we've headlined, but only with bands that we knew well, and knew that they wouldn't destroy our gear. We would do this on occassion to help facilitate a consistent backline that would facilitate a faster change up. The allowed each band to get 2 or 3 more songs into their set. Often times, I would tech for one of these bands during their gigs if I was unscheduled with my band.

Networking is vital in this industry, the more you have someone else's back, the greater the potential for them to want to have yours.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
I let Vogg use my Peavey 6505+. Because, well it's Vogg!
Generally I try to be nice about that stuff. Cabs are no problem, but I have not let anyone use my Axe FX II.
But if their equipment broke down or something, I'd help out of course. I remember playing with this band that thought they were the shit (they weren't). But they were bigger than my band, and we opened. We had crappy equipment at the time, so we asked if we could use some of theirs. They said no. And we thought that was really lame, and it also caused a really long change over because the stage was so small, and we had to swap out the entire drum kit and cabs, everyhting! so I think of that when someone asks us.

Reaction score
Cabs and shells yes, amps sometimes, instruments never unless it's a friend. Sharing cabs and shells is a question of practicality. There's a reason touring bands often share the same basic equipment.

It just depends on how easily broken something is & how expensive it is to replace. It's hard to bust a cab, especially if you spend 25 seconds making sure it's set up right with their amp.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
If a band contacts me and arranges before hand then unless i sense they are dicks i'll usually agree to lend my amp/modeller. hell i'll probably even program a couple of patches for them if i have the time. Also in the event of an unforeseen breakdown i could probably persuaded to step up and save the show.

But if you just turn up to a gig with no gear and expect to use mine with no prior agreement then no way.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story:

We played a show in a little bar this one time, and had agreed ahead of time on what would be shared or not (one set of cabs, drums, etc- everyone else just brings heads and breakables). Then one of the bands shows up with a whole second drum kit- I don't remember the details, but I think part of the confusion was that there were left-handed drummers and complicated change-overs involved. Maybe it was one of those times where once the drums were set up on stage he refused to move it out of the way for the other drummers or something, I don't remember. The details are unimportant.

Anyway, this guy, from some local band I'd never heard of before, refused to let anyone use any part of his kit, or to use anyone else's kit- and when asked why he wouldn't, his response was gold:

"You wouldn't ask Slayer to borrow their drum kit would you?" :lol:

stevexc

Reaction score
First and foremost, if I know you personally and I'm around for the gig, definitely. Hell, there's even a couple guys who I'd loan stuff out to with no exceptions.

But at an average gig? If it's an emergency and you seem cool, I might loan my bass out, but probably not. If my amp is set up, I'll probably let you use that though. I'm with Max -what are they gonna do, fiddle with the knobs?

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
First and foremost, if I know you personally and I'm around for the gig, definitely. Hell, there's even a couple guys who I'd loan stuff out to with no exceptions.

But at an average gig? If it's an emergency and you seem cool, I might loan my bass out, but probably not. If my amp is set up, I'll probably let you use that though. I'm with Max -what are they gonna do, fiddle with the knobs?

A band once borrowed our bassists Trace Elliot head and blew it up. Seriously. He was playing, and then it just stopped working (one of the caps blew, apparently)

GRANTED: The amp itself had some issues, but there was something about this dudes bass, pickups, playing, or a combination of all 3 that caused a cap to blow. The only reason I don't write it off as coincidence is because it had happened 2-3 other times during that tour alone.

Even with all of that, they were super cool guys, and our bands instantly hit it off. I wouldn't hesitate to loan them my gear again (just not their bassist :lol: )

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A band once borrowed our bassists Trace Elliot head and blew it up. Seriously. He was playing, and then it just stopped working (one of the caps blew, apparently)

GRANTED: The amp itself had some issues, but there was something about this dudes bass, pickups, playing, or a combination of all 3 that caused a cap to blow. The only reason I don't write it off as coincidence is because it had happened 2-3 other times during that tour alone.

Even with all of that, they were super cool guys, and our bands instantly hit it off. I wouldn't hesitate to loan them my gear again (just not their bassist :lol: )

There is absolutely no pickup, bass, or playing style that would do that to an amp. The way the signal path works and the kind of signal the instrument sends simply wouldn't physically be able to harm anything.

In fact, it's typically the other way around, grounding issues with the gear leading the electricity from the amp into the instrument, and through the unfortunate player.

Maverick187

Reaction score
Lending shells cabs when prearranged- defo

Lending shells cabs when not prearranged- usually

Lending anything else- Never, unless its a friends band and something blows or something.

This happened to me once.

We played a gig 300 miles away, local band brought (awful) shells for everyone to use. Their drummer says to ours "since i let you use my (awful) shells, can i use your (very expensive) china?". Drummer begrudgingly says yes, china gets hammered. COCK.

Agree on all this 110%!!!!!

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Just as many, it depends on the situation. I have never been asked by someone to use my guitar and I hope that never happens. I definitely do not like lending my gear out. It is usually the most expensive shit there unless we are opening for a bigger band.

I have lent my amp head to a touring band that had tubes shit out on the the night before. Of course they asked to use MY amp out of the other half dozen amps there haha. I was a bit worried but all was well.

Another time I lent someone my entire half stack, thankfully it was a peice of shit and before I had any good gear. I had to leave after we played and some ....bag wanted to use my horrible horrible stack. Why in the world?? Anyway my drummer said oh dont worry I will watch it and bring it back to you.

Yeah that did not end well. Someone knocked it over and one of the speaker jacks was ....ed and it bent in the chassis. Thank god there was a second speaker out and thank god it was a crappy amp.

I will always be hesitant to lend anyone my gear but it really just depends. If it is a legit touring band that had something happen to them then sure absolutely but if it is just some random kid I dont know that wants to use my amp because he thinks its sounds so cool or because he "forgot" his amp I don't think I would be so generous.

Call me a dick but my amp is expensive and chances are if someone has the nerve to ask to use it then they won't have the money to replace it when they break it for whatever reason.

InfestedRabite

Reaction score
I think it's -better- for bands to share amp/backline gear, just to facilitate quicker changeovers, less messing around that way. Most gigs here everyone sorts it out beforehand and says what they're bringing, so there's no surprises and people know when they're leaving/loading up etc. It's always good to be able to walk to the gig with all the gear you need (and planning on getting the EHX 44. Magnum soon, so won't even need to use other amp heads...)

However, I'd be a little wary of letting someone use one of my guitars if they had a problem with theirs that seemed like it was their own fault, but if i knew them and knew that they were legit I'd be down with it. I've let people use my pedalboard before though, that's more expensive than the bloody guitar...

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The only piece of gear I let other people use is my cab... as well, you can't really damage it.. If they screw up the impedance match, it's their head that will burn! :rolleyes:

But my answer is always no for amps or guitars...

I forgot to mention this in my previous post in this thread, but I once loaned out my old Marshall 1960A for an all-day festival type of show in my hometown. I didn't really have to worry about anyone walking out with it since either I or a trusted friend were there through the entire day watching over all of the backlined gear, plus the impedance thing didn't matter since I was the only one using a tube amp that day :lol: it did end up gathering a few more scuffs and scratches, but I was honestly expecting a lot worse.

I've only loaned out my amp once, and that was a pretty unique situation. I was drumming for a band and the day of one of our shows, our lead guitarist tells me hadn't brought his rig into town from his dad's house a few towns over because he figured he could "just use mine" that night :squint: ironically, he, the guy/bandmate I trusted most handling my gear, ended up being the one to rip a caster out of my cab and lost the power cable for my head :facepalm: never again.