Owane new record - Unmissable modern fusion

• Thread starter Winspear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
Everything Owane writes is incredible. Makes me wish I could play keyboard.

turbo_4i4ka

Reaction score
It's another masterpiece, no doubt about it. I've been spinning this record quite a few times for the past 2 days.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
goddamn i just listened to the whole thing on spotify and its mindblowing imo. I almost never move songs into my "favorite ever" playlist and 2 tracks just went straight there.

as turbo said, goddamn masterpiece.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Found him randomly on Spotify a couple of months back and I have been spinning his tunes ever since. He is INCREDIBLE! Has had a huge influence on my playing already too. I can't wait to see how far this guy will go.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
One, holy crap this is the best fusion album I’ve heard in a looong time. Two, I really need to figure out that chord progression in the beginning of “Indian Explosion Bowling”, because it’s sublime.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
great fusion, probably some of my favorite stuff since I first heard brett garsed.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like a lot of the melodies are lifted from elsewhere? Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying this, but every major melody sounds too familiar. And none of the parts ever linger much, so it's hard to nail what it sounds like. Piano intro to Groove of Satan sounds almost exactly like Robert Glasper's Everything In It's Right Place.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Glad you are all enjoying it! Hmm @Eptaceros , I don't reckon so. At least no more than anything else is generally lifted. Moreso influenced. I listened to that one part you mentioned and can see what you mean but it's not really that similar. It's similar in vibe and some of the harmonic ideas used, but the same is true of say, most metal, or most pop music. This fresh jazzy sound just has a very distinct flavour defined by various harmonic ideas that really stand out strong, and might remind you of other songs that do similar things. For example chromatic changes in melodies and such. I think it would be way more work to try and intentionally quote so many ideas. The guy is clearly well versed in the sound and I don't think he has (or would have) any trouble putting together these kind of ideas independently. Just like any other genre it's defined by certain standout things that may remind you of other songs, and being jazz, those things are much more distinct and noticeable than other genres, I think.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
I don't think it's intentional or anything, the guy clearly has his own thing going on. And I can't get enough of it! Been listening nonstop since you made this thread. I guess it's just the nature of his tunes, a lot of his melodies and progressions really strike a familiar/nostalgic chord. I'm always blown away by players that can make heavy use of pentatonics sound so fresh and exotic.