Passive pickup suggestions for basswood

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I’m thinking about putting in Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and a 59 in a basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard guitar (bolt-on, fixed bridge).

I’m looking for a smooth lead tone with a bit of PAF tonality (for ex., Per Nilsson on Singularity 1) and good low end for metal riffing (for ex., Alluvial). I currently have EMG 57-7/66-7 and I don’t like the lack of low end.

My choice is based on the SD EQ curve for the custom 51 and 59 (and on some gear demos). Am I making a good choice for my objectives ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I’m thinking about putting in Seymour Duncan Custom 5 and a 59 in a basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard guitar (bolt-on, fixed bridge).

I’m looking for a smooth lead tone with a bit of PAF tonality (for ex., Per Nilsson on Singularity 1) and good low end for metal riffing (for ex., Alluvial). I currently have EMG 57-7/66-7 and I don’t like the lack of low end.

My choice is based on the SD EQ curve for the custom 51 and 59 (and on some gear demos). Am I making a good choice for my objectives ?
Why not just try an EQ pedal, giving a slight push around the 100s and 200s?

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Custom 5 and ‘59 is a classic pair. Perfect set for PAF sounds.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Why not just try an EQ pedal, giving a slight push around the 100s and 200s?

I could, but I also dislike other characteristics about the EMGs. I could do surgical EQ to get what I want, but that would be time consuming since I change tones a lot (depending on the mix I’m playing over).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, but an eq pedal would also let you cover more ground and fine tune better. Pros and cons.

kerryymm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The EQ pedal suggestion is a good one, but if you go with changing the pickups I think you’ve picked the right set