Peavey 6505+ 112 combo OWNERS REQUESTED

• Thread starter glytch5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I have the above amp... its about 9 years old.

The problem:
Presence control on both channels- They use seperate pots for each channel. This knob suddenly does NOTHING until you hit about 9/10 then you get 100 percent presence, anything below 8.5-9 you get ZERO presence. This acts the same on both channels!
Is your 6505 112 the same way?
I feel like I used to run the presence on about 6 or 7... now its always pretty much 9!

I tried replacing: C28, R111, R10, C56, R85. These did NOTHING.
-Can't be the pot since both channels have their own, and the problem is common to both.

Am I totally insane? Or is this how all the peavey 6505 112s are?

If you guys could tell me if you have the same problem or if mine is bad that would be great.
PS: tried the FX loop thing... presence acts the same with or without that buffer active.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
The presence knob on mine did nothing until it was on about 8, and was very quickly too much presence after that. I ended up just leaving it at 5, as there was plenty of brightness and cut everywhere from zero to 8. Is yours sounding muffled without the presence being cranked?

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
The presence knob on my 6505 head is pretty much like that too. There is a small difference in sound until you get to about 3 or 4:00, then it's just a huge jump in presence.

If i remember right, even the EVH Stealth amps do something similar. I don't think you get any real presence control until about noon.

tedtan

Reaction score
The presence control works on the power amp section of the amp, so if your presence pots just started behaving this way, and they both behave the same way, it may be time to change your power tubes.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Presence is kinda funny, and can fuck with your mind. I used to have an evh 5150 50w and it took me months to realize that the presence was not working. I swear it had been working just fine before. I took it into a tech only to find out that it actually had never been connected from the factory. Go fucking figure. Thanks Fender!

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I also have an EVH 5150 and the presence seems to work fine. On this peavey it used to work fine... I have changed all the tubes on this amp many times. Remember this is the 112 combo... not the actual 6505.
So there is absolutely no presence (muffled) until I hit almost all the way up, then it all spills in.
You guys are saying thats normal?

I don't get any presence until waaay passed noon. When I used to jam this amp with friends, that dial was always around 6 or 7... now its just about always all the way up. Same with resonance... though it changes throughout the sweep more than presence, it just feels weaker. It used to get out of control... not its pretty much always on 10.

Adieu

Reaction score
Can I post a video on here and show you guys?

I think the method is to upload to youtube, then embed here via the video button (next to smileys and picture links in the reply box above where you type)

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
mine is the exact same way. it is so dull sounding it's just gonna sit there until I get the motivation to crack it open and ruin it by modding

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Nice! that was good, wish you would have hit it alittle more with it lower but yeah... that sounds exactly the same... I guess I should stop replacing all these damn caps and resistors lol! Thank you so much for that.

Me EVH actually changes throughout the sweep. I very much appreciate it dude... unless me and you BOTH have the same problem haha

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Nice! that was good, wish you would have hit it alittle more with it lower but yeah... that sounds exactly the same... I guess I should stop replacing all these damn caps and resistors lol! Thank you so much for that.

Me EVH actually changes throughout the sweep. I very much appreciate it dude... unless me and you BOTH have the same problem haha
For sure! I know what it's like to have amps toy with your head like that. Oh, the joys of being a guitarist. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
it is fun... crap I have bought so many components to replace... pretty much every cap and resistor in the pre amp.
boy I wish I could afford a good scope and wave generator... then I could buy any old piece of crap amp and make it work.

Latest posts