Per Nilsson/Guitar Messenger solo contest 2023

• Thread starter bassisace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
I decided to try and give it a go, even though I'm not sure if I'll have the time to sit down and compose something. But I've signed up to their newsletter and the only email I've received so far is to confirm my subscription. Is there a delay between the confirmation of subscription and receiving an email with the link? It's been 15mins since I confirmed my subscription though lol, but usually it's instantaneous.

bassisace

Reaction score
I decided to try and give it a go, even though I'm not sure if I'll have the time to sit down and compose something. But I've signed up to their newsletter and the only email I've received so far is to confirm my subscription. Is there a delay between the confirmation of subscription and receiving an email with the link? It's been 15mins since I confirmed my subscription though lol, but usually it's instantaneous.
Took about 3 hours before I received the email. There’s also a Dropbox link in the contest page.

Kinda hard to solo over tracks when Per’s album solos are burned in my brain 😂

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Here’s Per’s Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhul6wnvpggixhm/GM solo contest.zip?dl=0

Edika

Reaction score
Took about 3 hours before I received the email. There’s also a Dropbox link in the contest page.

Kinda hard to solo over tracks when Per’s album solos are burned in my brain 😂
Or even come close to playing something like him lol

Thank you! I got my link several hours later but not a bad idea getting it directly from the source as I haven't downloaded them yet!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Here’s the solo I composed on Chrononautilus. It was indeed hard getting Per’s solo out of my head 😂. Can’t wait to hear your entries. Hope you post them here, ‘cause I have no clue who is who on Instagram 😂.

Great job, man! I would genuinely enjoy that as a solo on the track.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Great job, man! I would genuinely enjoy that as a solo on the track.
That’s a great compliment, thank you! It’s exactly the ideal goal I aimed for. Not some technical craziness, just something that fits. Glad I have achieved that in some small manner.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Here’s the solo I composed on Chrononautilus. It was indeed hard getting Per’s solo out of my head 😂. Can’t wait to hear your entries. Hope you post them here, ‘cause I have no clue who is who on Instagram 😂.

Very tasteful playing. Love your legato too!! Great, great solo dude. I also like reading your posts in general as I very much enjoy your perspective and approach.

Cheers and well done, sir!

bassisace

Reaction score
@HungryGuitarStudent great playing but it definitely sounds quite similar to the original like you mentioned. Wish I could play as well as you!
70% of Hungry’s solo is over a part where there’s singing in the original track, so no😂

I’ve been learning Per’s solo and @HungryGuitarStudent ’s solo has nothing to do with it. The notes and rhythm aren’t even the same. It’s not because the phrasing is Per esque that it means the notes are the same…

@HungryGuitarStudent Good job man! Your solo is great!

Last edited:

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Thank you guys!! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. I take all comments, positive and negative :)

A significant part of my improvement came from negative comments I got when I joined SSO and shared compositions. For example, my vibrato sucked, and it forced me to analyze what I was doing wrong.

Last edited:

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I guess I meant it just really sounds like scar symmetry. :D Anyways, bravo on a job well done.
No need to justify man, it’s all good :) I definitely need to exorcise Per’s influence on my phrasing 😂 I’ll start transcribing other players and hope that’ll do the trick. Thanks again for the listen :)

@bassisace No transcription, taking a break from writing tabs to play more.

Last edited:

bassisace

Reaction score

I started learning your solo. It’s so cool to play and a big phrasing exercise for me. Would you ever consider doing a Skype lesson? Gonna need help😂

Latest posts