Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
I’d not heard UO before but I drove from WV so enjoyed every moment. Their singer was extremely charismatic. The keyboard player was over the top in a very good way. It was just a wonderful night. I was up on the rail right in front of Jake for Periphery. Oh man. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
about halfway through, the synthwave direction this took was a bit unexpected but cool

there's been a couple parts here and there that i'm a bit iffy on like a synth transition that felt very abrupt somewhere in atropos i think? wax wings had a sick solo in it, everything is fine's heavy section is uncharacteristically heavy for periphery which is cool

feels like they've almost been alternating vocal/guitar focus on their albums and this feels like more effort went into melodies for spencer this time around compared to p4 imo, more on par with p3

pretty good so far tho

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Still a couple of tracks to go, but this is a very very good album, possibly AOTY contender for me. Does a really good job of taking bits and pieces from their previous work - and at least from my pov it takes most of the bits and pieces I like from each album.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Only got a chance to listen to a little, but I'm surprised and a little disappointed Wax Wings (as great it is it!) had zero references to Icarus Lives. They trolled me good 😂

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely way out there; most of the tracks have caught me by surprise.

I'm enjoying it very much.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I just had my first listen and first impressions are good. It's surprisingly un-metal in places. I did not enjoy Silhouette, I especially cringed a bit at that modulation at the end. Let's see how that develops after multiple listens. Atropos is a bloody masterpiece in my opinion.

Antiproduct

Reaction score
I definitely have to give it more spins but that's normal for me with proggy content.
It seems a little bit more "honest" to me, rougher in places but absolutely superbly mixed. It's really fun listen to it.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Nik Mystery so it's kinda fun they basically put a Nik Mystery song on a Periphery album. I like that they're embracing the weirdness and diving a little deeper into the orchestral and electro stuff even on the heavier sections (the arpeggiator in the second half of Atropos, for example, really works for me).

As usual, this album won't sit well with those whose main concern is the risk of somebody walking by during a section that isn't CVLT and then having to worry about their reputation.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I dig it well enough, it doesn't rank in my top 3 in the discography but it's definitely a fun listen.

I'm tied for Wax Wings/Wildfire as favorites on the actual record, and in a pretty roundabout way it reminds me more of P1 than anything else. It's less predictable than P3 - 4, and the abundance of interludes and breaks from bands style composition was always something I enjoyed about how they write.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Can't say much after the initial listen. Mostly because I've learned most albums, especially Periphery albums, take time to get into them. Dying Star and Thanks Nobuo are pretty dope, though.

chewpac

working up to 7...
Reaction score
i'm on my first listen. just getting through Wax Wings now...holy shit. it's awesome.

if the rest of the album is as strong as the first 1/3, this could be incredible