Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I still remember seeing a video of what I believe was the first time Racecar was played, the solo comes and the camera is on Misha assuming he's playing it, and Misha is pointing at Jake basically "No, dude, over there! Jake's playing!" Good times.
I guess I'm basically saying I really wish Racecar was back in the set. Even like a Dream Theater thing where play like the first half early on and then close with the second half or something.

Anyway, did Jake learn that solo from Loomis or did he figure it out on his own?
I'm assuming you're talking about this video? Ahhh good times. Man have they improved their live performance lol. The part you're talking about is right after Misha's solo around 9:05

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
He was the best guitar player on Periphery. The irony.

Yeah, sweet irony. Rest of the guys can play for sure but Nolly's skills and phrasing are just magnificent. It always bothers me, really. He's great with playing, engineering, mixing etc. and I wonder how his mind didn't explode yet :D Years of experience and studying for sure.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, sweet irony. Rest of the guys can play for sure but Nolly's skills and phrasing are just magnificent. It always bothers me, really. He's great with playing, engineering, mixing etc. and I wonder how his mind didn't explode yet :D Years of experience and studying for sure.

He's basically music Jesus.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
Loving it, a great evolution from P3, there’s something in here for everyone, even though it’s leaning a bit more towards the heavier side.

Crush is taking my top spot for favorite right now in terms of the songs as a whole, although I like some seperate sections in other songs better, for example the second half of Follow Your Ghost which slays.
Reptile is a huge accomplishment imo, it’s done really really well, I think it's the best from their set of longer songs.
As I always liked their softer side as well It’s Only Smiles scores a lot of points with me too.

Hell it’s just all good, congrats to Misha and the guys, great stuff, will be spinning this many many more times :D

Last edited:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Perfect, now if I could just get the download I paid for, I can go carry on with my day and listen to this in my car rather than being tethered to a laptop :shrug:

Sounds dope tho.

You do realize this is out early right?

I'm a little indifferent on first listen, but I think it's a great album in terms of the general music. Maybe it's just time and tastes changing, but I think all the previous albums hit harder when they first came out for me than this one. Doesn't mean this is a bad release in any way, but I'd rank their other albums higher for sure.

It probably sounds harsh but I think this might actually be at the bottom of my list or on par with Clear in the spectrum of all the albums.

I'd give it an overall 7/10, with my favorites being Sentient Glow, Follow Your Ghost, and Garden in the Bones.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
So is The Focus Hour on the album or not? I remember seeing clips of the guys recording it last year.

Type_R3387

Reaction score
So is The Focus Hour on the album or not? I remember seeing clips of the guys recording it last year.
The opening riff from Bulbs’ “The Focus Hour” is featured within the opening track, “Reptile”. On the note of Bulb, it’d be great to see “Füf” show up in some future Periphery material!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
was listening to a couple of the older albums and its cool see how great they still hold up after all these years...