Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
It's funny when artists re-use old riffs 🤣🤣 I fell in love with the idea when I heard Juggernaut because it really worked well there. But most other times it is funny to hear, Mark Tremonti has reused some riffs & licks in his new songs and it just feels weird.

But what I still wonder is, why did Juggernaut have to be a double album??? It released at the same date, the sound is the same, the "story" connects the songs. So why release 2 albums? Is it so the fans have to buy 2 albums to hear all the songs? Wouldn't that confuse potential new fans who are discovering the band?

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I know people say we rip off meshuggah, but I did go full on thordendal rip off for that solo section haha. Just had fun with it.
I did wonder if you'd got him in for a guest solo
Anyone else think it's weird how many ideas are reused on these tracks from older songs?
I like it because they've tended to reuse or reference bits I liked and not bits I didn't like

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I like it because they've tended to reuse or reference bits I liked and not bits I didn't like

Hey man, if it works for ya it works.

I just think Periphery fans are very quick to say it's all intentional and just use it to praise them.

They have 5 members and release an album every 4 years, I tend to expect new material(s) 😁

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
no one will know what's intentional or not except the band, all we can do is infer from the material they've released. it wouldn't be the first time a "part 2" version of a song was released on a later album years after the fact. i think it's pretty harmless to reuse a riff from an album that came out what, 7 years ago, with 2 albums releases between then and now. it's not like the majority of the material is reused.

either way i thought wildfire was just okay but zagreus was pretty sick. really liked the use of the theme motif from Hades in it as well

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I just think Periphery fans are very quick to say it's all intentional and just use it to praise them.
Periphery makes music for the drug-addled kids of middle-class and lower-class Americans who would rather spend all of their free time browsing TikTok instead of filling out applications for jobs that could actually improve their financial status, or instead of contributing positively to society in any meaningful way.

Oh...no wait...that is Polyphia.

My bad. :lol:

Periphery makes music for simple people.

I mean, look, the band's listeners are divided into mainly two camps. Either they are still riding the wave of P1, hoping that Periphery will release another/better iteration of P1; or they are still riding the wave of P2, hoping that Periphery will release another/better iteration of P2. How many times have we seen P2 specifically mentioned in the past few pages alone of this thread?

So, Periphery fans are indeed simple people. Is it any surprise that they fall into the "everything was intentional!" mindless praise crowd? :shrug:

RevelGTR

Reaction score
The tracks have really grown on me over a few listens, I’ve had the chorus from Wildfire stuck in my head all day.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I know people say we rip off meshuggah, but I did go full on thordendal rip off for that solo section haha. Just had fun with it.
just the solo? Selling yourself short haha

I thought the references to older songs were great, very Devin

antareus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Enjoyed both singles a lot! The Hades ditty near the end of Zagreus stumped me for awhile, I was convinced it was from a Periphery song. Darren Korb’s compositions on Hades are killer.

Looking forward to seeing Periphery at the Fillmore in March.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
no one will know what's intentional or not except the band, all we can do is infer from the material they've released. it wouldn't be the first time a "part 2" version of a song was released on a later album years after the fact. i think it's pretty harmless to reuse a riff from an album that came out what, 7 years ago, with 2 albums releases between then and now. it's not like the majority of the material is reused.

either way i thought wildfire was just okay but zagreus was pretty sick. really liked the use of the theme motif from Hades in it as well

Isn't it a little more than bizarre to care at this point? They self publish so as weird as it might be for others to make the realization they're probably writing music with less outside interference than ever. I don't really find most people have interesting commentary on music and can't help but make surface level comparisons and immediately say whatever is new is the best thing they've ever heard.

I love Wildfire's chorus and the entire track is fun, but both of these place pretty low from me in the discography.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Isn't it a little more than bizarre to care at this point? They self publish so as weird as it might be for others to make the realization they're probably writing music with less outside interference than ever. I don't really find most people have interesting commentary on music and can't help but make surface level comparisons and immediately say whatever is new is the best thing they've ever heard.

I love Wildfire's chorus and the entire track is fun, but both of these place pretty low from me in the discography.
very confused about why i'm quoted considering nothing in your comment is even remotely related to anything i said

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I genuinely do not like Periphery at all besides the intro riff for Icarus Lives cuz it's fun but I listened to the new singles and they were alright besides the vocals like always. They're legitimately awful and I wish everyone would quit doing shitty fry vocals lol. The chug parts were cool and fun tho :)

I like when the guitar goes chug chug :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
very confused about why i'm quoted considering nothing in your comment is even remotely related to anything i said

You were mentioning intentionality behind their writing, I'm actually in agreement with you.

And I find that the comments I see focusing on reuse of motifs and riffs in such minor ways when they're the most independent they'll ever be are as said, bizarre.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Wildfire is a straight up banger. I didn't really dig Zagreus at first but it's grown on me.

@bulb what amp models were your go-tos for this album? Iirc, it was a lot of HBE on PIV? Or was that PIII? 🤔

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I genuinely do not like Periphery at all besides the intro riff for Icarus Lives cuz it's fun but I listened to the new singles and they were alright besides the vocals like always. They're legitimately awful and I wish everyone would quit doing shitty fry vocals lol. The chug parts were cool and fun tho :)

I like when the guitar goes chug chug :)
Get Moises (app) and remove the vocals. :)

bulb

Reaction score
Songs are great, really impressed and excited for release.

Love the guitar tones, can’t wait to find out what amps/models made it onto the record.
Saw someone else asking, reamped with a bunch of amps, mainly Invective and Granophyre, often combos across 4 tracks, always boosted with a Precision Drive. Also used some Carstens Grace and 5150 here and there. Some Lone Star for certain pushed cleans etc, Carstens worked well for that and some leads too. Suhr Loadbox and GGD Zilla Cabs based off of the “Swedish technique” preset.

bulb

Reaction score
I dig the new stuff... fuckin nerds with perfect covers within a couple hours of release is both awesome and cringe at the same time. I think only Dream Theater has bigger nerds.
It always shocks me how quick covers go up. I think it’s become a bit of a competition. This one dude had a cover within 12 hours or so where he not only redid all the instruments but managed to edit a high quality playthrough of it and post it on YouTube. The talent out there is just insane!

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Saw someone else asking, reamped with a bunch of amps, mainly Invective and Granophyre, often combos across 4 tracks, always boosted with a Precision Drive. Also used some Carstens Grace and 5150 here and there. Some Lone Star for certain pushed cleans etc, Carstens worked well for that and some leads too. Suhr Loadbox and GGD Zilla Cabs based off of the “Swedish technique” preset.

Interesting! Is this the first album where the tones come manily from amps as opposed to Fractal?

It always shocks me how quick covers go up. I think it’s become a bit of a competition. This one dude had a cover within 12 hours or so where he not only redid all the instruments but managed to edit a high quality playthrough of it and post it on YouTube. The talent out there is just insane!

Put some respet on João Medeiros' name 😂