Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Spencer rocking the bono look in that new video. I always thought Periphery would get less heavy but nope still chugging and djenting atonal riffs.

It's funny when artists re-use old riffs 🤣🤣 I fell in love with the idea when I heard Juggernaut because it really worked well there. But most other times it is funny to hear, Mark Tremonti has reused some riffs & licks in his new songs and it just feels weird.

It's weird because it's an unwritten rule in metal to not directly re-use any ideas and it has spread into other styles of music in recent years. Which has its pros and cons. It forces musicians to constantly explore new ideas wether it scales and intervals or incorporating new styles which then leads to new genres. On the other hand it pushes people to change chord progressions and melodies to finish on the "wrong" note which sounds off when it would have sounded better the conventional method. But you don't want to reuse ideas so you are stuck trying to choose between the two.

If you listen to pop, classical, Disney or other film music etc they endlessly use the same ideas over and over throughout their careers. Pop artist shamelessly re-use existing melodies from other big artists but in metal this gets you torn apart(Avenged Sevenfold copying Metallica been a prime example). That's not to say you can pick out most artist's influence from how their riffs and melodies are variations of existing riffs but directly re-using their own riffs is rare in metal.

It always shocks me how quick covers go up. I think it’s become a bit of a competition. This one dude had a cover within 12 hours or so where he not only redid all the instruments but managed to edit a high quality playthrough of it and post it on YouTube. The talent out there is just insane!

It's more a personal challenge than a competition at least in mine and many other's experience. You could finish work and relax playing games or you could tab/learn/record/upload a new solo and then comfortably switch off knowing you did something productive. That dude re-recording the entire song is madness, talented guy!

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
It always shocks me how quick covers go up. I think it’s become a bit of a competition. This one dude had a cover within 12 hours or so where he not only redid all the instruments but managed to edit a high quality playthrough of it and post it on YouTube. The talent out there is just insane!
That's awesome. I'd actually be pretty honored if someone did that to my band

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Mirror

Reaction score
Wild. Didn't expect it to be a 6 string song. All covers assumed Drop G# on 7s like usual, but it seems to be some Reptile like octave drop thing.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah it's the GGCFAD Reptile tuning. The guitars on this album sound enormous, although as somebody else pointed out it does sacrifice a bit of clarity. The riffs in the two singles are pretty caveman so it could be they adjust the production on other tracks. I dig that Nolly is a bit higher in the mix.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah it's the GGCFAD Reptile tuning. The guitars on this album sound enormous, although as somebody else pointed out it does sacrifice a bit of clarity. The riffs in the two singles are pretty caveman so it could be they adjust the production on other tracks. I dig that Nolly is a bit higher in the mix.
Is Nolly even apart of this record? I've been pretty out of the loop on this one since I deleted my social media accounts over a year ago.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Couple of nerd dork questions.

Why did Tom Murphy leave? The reason was pretty vague that was reported on.

What gear did he use? I've seen an Ibanez in some live clips, a warwick in another? No idea regarding pedals/amps

And Was Nolly using Tom's basses to record PII?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From the videos it looks like Nolly playing some kind of Warwick Jazzman (I think), a Fender Jazz and what I'd assume is a Mayones Jabba.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

What gear did he use? I've seen an Ibanez in some live clips, a warwick in another? No idea regarding pedals/amps

If I remember correctly, Tom just didn't enjoy or adapt to being on the road. I believe he also just wanted to be with his family more.

I highly doubt Nolly used any of Tom's gear on P2. Pretty sure Tom was long gone during that recoding. If you want to know his gear, why not try and ask for yourself? He has a public Instagram and Facebook, at least, he did a few years ago.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Tom just didn't enjoy or adapt to being on the road. I believe he also just wanted to be with his family more.

I highly doubt Nolly used any of Tom's gear on P2. Pretty sure Tom was long gone during that recoding. If you want to know his gear, why not try and ask for yourself? He has a public Instagram and Facebook, at least, he did a few years ago.
Tom was a nice guy, I saw him with Periphery on the last tour he did with them. I beat him in Soul Caliber that they had on Gamecube at the march stand. Good times

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Idk what Tom used but there's a clip of Nolly using a Warwick streamer.

I'm guessing Dingwall came in later on

And I think I recall Misha bringing up a Warwick 6-string for the 8-string songs.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score

Was he long gone? There's a live video of him playing face palm mute. If they were all still buddies it wouldn't be a stretch to ask to borrow the basses for the recordings.

I've seen him play a Warwick they looks very similar to the PII one & Tom had a Dingwall at some point during a rehearsal.

Seems too similar 😅

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
New stuff is pretty good boys

@bulb If you had to do the signature amp thing all over again would have still gone with Peavey? Are you under NDA or can you talk about your experience with how the Invective went? It's not a bad amp but how Peavey delayed it so many times must have sucked for you