Perpetual burn with YJM fury, will it work?

Velathnos

Displacer Beast
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently ordered an Ibanez RG565, should be here in 2-4 months, and of course I'm already planning changing the pickups. I want this guitar to be my shred guitar. I've been wanting to try the yjm fury (neck) for a while, so that should go in if I eventually change the pickups (which will most probably happen).

For the humbucker, I figured I might as well continue the shred theme and go for the perpetual burn. I usually go for hotter pickups (I initially planned to go with a distortion or something equivalent) but I don't want the bridge to be too loud in relation to the neck. So my question : will it work and be balanced? Also, would anyone be willing to share their experiences with these pickups?

Additional question : should I go with a 500k volume pot? Not sure if that's gonna work with the YJM fury...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Be forewarned that the YJM fury output is quite low. There will be quite a difference in output/volume with any humbucker worth its salt in the bridge, even the PB imho. I'd say u're better off with a hotter option in the neck, e.g. Dimarzio Air Norton S/Chopper, or SD Hot Rails/Little 59, etc.

As for the pots, I always go for 500k, the YJM neck is a bright pickup so u may want to go 250k, or just add a tone knob w/ the 500k.

jclogston

Reaction score
I'm going with a duncan distortion and dimarzio chopper for my rg565 reissue.
I would love the ygm neck but it has way too low of an output relative to the duncan distortion unfortunately.

Velathnos

Displacer Beast
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll settle on something else. My main concerns is having a noiseless single coil that will be the closest possible to a "true" single coil sound, and not simply a small humbucker, while balancing with medium to high output humbucker on the bridge.

Marked Man

Reaction score
The Fury set is my favorite SSS for loud rock, although it is quite mild in output and designed to be boosted to Valhalla for the desired tone.

I'd consider something like the Dimarzio Injector for your needs.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
The Fury set is my favorite SSS for loud rock, although it is quite mild in output and designed to be boosted to Valhalla for the desired tone.

^ I actually have that, already in 1 guitar, and a 2nd planned for another Warmoth project. In the first guitar, I paired it w/ Area 67 middle and a SD Custom custom, I fine-tuned the pickup heights till cows came home and the volume difference is still noticeable, not night and day, but it's there, so I cannot imagine how a YJM would fair.

Between the Injector neck and YJM neck, I'd take the injector any freakin' day, love it to pieces! Has this flute-y violin tone, just sings, but it's not a typical neck pickup, it's quite bright, so works better in mahogany/basswood bodies imho.

Velathnos

Displacer Beast
Reaction score

Thanks, yes I've settled on the Injector for the neck, and probably the Perpetual Burn for the bridge. If I'm not happy with the PB I'll put it in another guitar and go with a Super Distortion or something in that range.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I've settled on the Injector for the neck, and probably the Perpetual Burn for the bridge. If I'm not happy with the PB I'll put it in another guitar and go with a Super Distortion or something in that range.
A Heavy Blues 2 is a pretty good option here too - hot enough to hang with a bridge humbucker when used as a neck pickup, and while it's a little darker than I'd normally expect of a singlecoil, it still sounds like an authentic singlecoil to my ears, and a little darker actually makes it compliment a humbucker nicely. I didn't keep it in my Strat, eventually going on a long kick of swapping pickups out before I eventually settled on Areas for the neck/mid spot of a SSH pickguard with a AT1 in the bridge, but I will say that while I didn't love it playing live in the room and eventually wanted something with a brighter attack, it recorded beautifully.

Velathnos

Displacer Beast
Reaction score
A Heavy Blues 2 is a pretty good option here too - hot enough to hang with a bridge humbucker when used as a neck pickup, and while it's a little darker than I'd normally expect of a singlecoil, it still sounds like an authentic singlecoil to my ears, and a little darker actually makes it compliment a humbucker nicely. I didn't keep it in my Strat, eventually going on a long kick of swapping pickups out before I eventually settled on Areas for the neck/mid spot of a SSH pickguard with a AT1 in the bridge, but I will say that while I didn't love it playing live in the room and eventually wanted something with a brighter attack, it recorded beautifully.

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind if the Injector doesn't do the job.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interesting, I'll keep that in mind if the Injector doesn't do the job.
I'd have to go back and check, but I'm 99% sure this was a HB2 initially with my Strat's volume running around 70% or so, and then wide open for the "main" solo section, into a Roadster. Not the most amazing recording, I've gotten a bit better since then, but good enough to get a feeling for the pickup and the attack. It felt a little dark in the room, but sat beautifully in front of a SM57.

https://drewpetersonguitar.bandcamp.com/track/alien-love-child

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
Be forewarned that the YJM fury output is quite low. There will be quite a difference in output/volume with any humbucker worth its salt in the bridge, even the PB imho. I'd say u're better off with a hotter option in the neck, e.g. Dimarzio Air Norton S/Chopper, or SD Hot Rails/Little 59, etc.

As for the pots, I always go for 500k, the YJM neck is a bright pickup so u may want to go 250k, or just add a tone knob w/ the 500k.
I agree, I think this is spot on^

Velathnos

Displacer Beast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, like I said I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Injector. Of course I'll try the guitar before changing anything. But I've been thinking a little more about the bridge.

How high output can I go before the Injector is overpowered? Would something like a JB or Super Distortion be ok, or should I go with medium output? I'm searching for a bridge humbucker that can chug while still retaining some clarity, with great lead tones and good clean. Something that could work in a 80s pop cover and in a fast melodeath band.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How high output can I go before the Injector is overpowered? Would something like a JB or Super Distortion be ok, or should I go with medium output? I'm searching for a bridge humbucker that can chug while still retaining some clarity, with great lead tones and good clean. Something that could work in a 80s pop cover and in a fast melodeath band.
Honestly, I'd go about this in the other order. Spanning 80s pop covers and melodeth in a single pickup does limit your options some, and honoestly you'll probably use the bridge a lot more ethan the single coils for riffing, so I'd maybe try to figure out what works there, and then worry about your singlecoil options.

It also depends somewhat on playing situation - saturation in particular can have a big role here, as even sets that to me sounded "balanced" for lead playing were pretty unbalanced for strumming clean chords. A singlecoil is a lot less compressed than a humbucker, meaning it's attack is going to be sharper and more likely to drive the amp into saturation than its sustain. For the sort of moderately driven Timmons-like lead tones I like, I found I had a fair amount of leeway with singlecoils when it came to a low-medium output humbucker, and pretty much any of the Area singles (with their lower magnetic pull) could be made to work unless I have the humbucker right up on the strings, since the "perceived" output while picking notes through gain balanced well even if the actual output didn't. Through a very saturated amp, you might have even more leeway.

gclef

Reaction score
My rg3xxv (2nd reissue after the rg465) came with a dactivator/air norton s combo.

I love the ANs in both series and parallel.

What I didn't love was the dactivator. I do like it in my mahogany rg520 though.
I ended up swapping a super distortion in. Now I love it. The inner coils parallel is a great fender strat sound. So is the ans in parallel.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow and here I think the stock pickups are great. :drew: