Petrucci's ToT amp settings

• Thread starter DragonGuitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Yo,

I'm looking to get John Petrucci's tone from Train of Thought or Octavarium. I have a JP70 that I'm playing through a Mesa Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb 50, and he used all Road King (Dual Rectifier) on that album, so I think I should be able to come pretty close. Do you know what settings he used, or what settings sound close? Should I use the Modern or Vintage mode? I am particularly looking for his tone, especially lead tone, on Stream of Consciousness. Really his tone from any of DT's albums is great, but since I have a single rec I should be able to get closer to ToT, plus that album mainly used 7 strings or down tunings, so that's helpful since I am using a 7.

Any help is much appreciated! And I understand I will never sound exactly like Mr. Petrucci, because some tone is in the fingers, his rig cost so much, etc, and I'm fine with that. But his tone is close to what I hear in my mind when I'm writing, and I occasionally play DT covers, so I want to be able to get as close to his sound as I can and then go from there. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
TKY02.jpg

katsumura78

Reaction score
I was just about to post that photo hahaha. Those are great starting points but you'll most likely need to boost it a bit.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm guessing he used vintage for leads and modern for rhythm, if I could only choose one (since they aren't foot switchable its inconvinient to switch between them for live use and I might have to tweak the knobs, etc), do you think I should go with Modern or Vintage?

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
You also need John Petrucci's fingers, or its just not gonna cut it :shrug:

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, I did find a pretty close tone that I like alot, on Vintage mode, used somewhat close to these settings, but I had to back off the gain and bass and boost the treble a little to get good clarity. So a little closer to his settings on the modern channel, but I'm using Vintage and it sounds killer :hbang:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That sounds about right. The Single Rectos sounded darker than the Dual Rectos, in my experience.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Man, I don't have an actual recto, but I have just about every sim that emulates one available, and on pretty much all of them, using those settings results in a tone that's SO dark for my playing. I guess JP has the brightest fingers and picking style known to mankind :lol:

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Man, I don't have an actual recto, but I have just about every sim that emulates one available, and on pretty much all of them, using those settings results in a tone that's SO dark for my playing. I guess JP has the brightest fingers and picking style known to mankind :lol:

Haha yeah. I guess us mere mortals have to tweak it a bit though