Photography Thread

Chuck

Reaction score
Those are great man, especially the silhouette. :yesway:

I've been in a bit of a slump lately, not shooting as much - I figure I'm not gonna try and force it. I've been pretty steady into photography the last few years and this is my first serious dead zone (only taking my camera out once a week or so and not shooting a whole lot). It's been probably two months of this or so. I'm a little worried about getting rusty, but I wonder if forcing myself to shoot is the right idea.

I've got a solo wedding and two I'm second shooting in June, so hopefully that gets me back into the swing of things.

Thanks man! :D

I should also note that the portrait of my dad was with the XE-2S and 90mmf2, but I think it's pretty obvious the X70 couldn't pull off that shot :lol:

Personally I've never been one to force photography, for me right now it's mostly a hobby that I pick up odd jobs for friends and family here and there. I seem to always bounce back and forth between focusing more on guitar and less on photography and vice versa.

It's been different lately though and I've had to adapt a little, for the longest time I just went out and did landscape photography, then slowly I progressed to trying street photography more often. Either way I'd spend hours outside - away from the house. And now that I have a little girl it's a lot more difficult to get out of the house for hours at a time. I've started shooting around the house more often, improving how I photograph guitars mostly and I've really been enjoying that. So I think a good way to get back into the swing of things without really forcing it is to try something new, are there any genres of photography you've never really experimented with?

Whammy

Reaction score
Those are great man, especially the silhouette. :yesway:

I've been in a bit of a slump lately, not shooting as much - I figure I'm not gonna try and force it. I've been pretty steady into photography the last few years and this is my first serious dead zone (only taking my camera out once a week or so and not shooting a whole lot). It's been probably two months of this or so. I'm a little worried about getting rusty, but I wonder if forcing myself to shoot is the right idea.

I've got a solo wedding and two I'm second shooting in June, so hopefully that gets me back into the swing of things.

Get back into it man.
Of course you will get rusty but that comes back. You just don't want to be working on it during a wedding :lol:

I never worry about getting rusty with the technical side of the camera. But getting rusty with being creative, that's a little harder to get back.

A break is always good if it's needed, but it's too easy to go on an extended vacation. You sometimes need to force yourself back into it.

If I go on a little break (be it intentional or just a lack of time) I find my creative side suffers. I need to view my photos afterwards in Lightroom and make mental notes as to what areas I'm lacking in. The next time I shoot I force myself to work on said areas.
Then I repeat the process noticing other areas that are still lacking.
It's never ending really :lol:

Everyone's method is different of course. This is just what works for me.

Get back into it man :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score

Chuck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a thought recently and wanted to see if any of you guys were interested - basically, I ADORE this thread and those who regularly post. Truly you guys are fantastic photographers and the CC I can get from you guys is invaluable. The only issue is the activity in this thread is particularly slow - and I think most of you, like me, don't really visit SSO often anymore and really only use SSO for this thread... So I was thinking of creating a Facebook group for us to share our work and chat about it and gear and whatever else you like. I'm already FB friends with a few of you guys so I don't see any reason to not make a group. Who's down? Cause I'd love to make that a thing.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Part of the reason for my slow down is that I have a 7 week old at home and I don't want to flood this thread with photos of him. I really haven't had any time to shoot much of anything. I'm not opposed to a group, but it's not going to up my level of participation (unless other participate more, then I may be able to provide more CC).

Chuck

Reaction score
Part of the reason for my slow down is that I have a 7 week old at home and I don't want to flood this thread with photos of him. I really haven't had any time to shoot much of anything. I'm not opposed to a group, but it's not going to up my level of participation (unless other participate more, then I may be able to provide more CC).

Yeah of course man, my little girl is 5 months tomorrow so I know how that goes :D I just figured a FB group might be an easier way to communicate. And god knows I spend more time on FB(typically on my phone or iPad) than here on SSO. Of course this is a great place to share photos cause it can support large files, unalike FB. But like I said I think having a FB group might stimulate more conversation/activity.

Kaff

Reaction score
Here's a cool photograph of my ex-bike, Ducati Hypermotard 1100S. This was taken for my sale ad (and it worked cause I no longer own that bike) by a photography enthusiast friend, who had a vision to get a "racey, dramatic look" to the pictures.
IMG_8471_zps7813kv5e.jpg

takotakumi

Reaction score
What would you guys recommend for an upgrade for the Body coming from a Canon T2i?
Some things I would like are a Higher ISO (pictures to look better with lower lightning) movable display,and maybe 60 fps.
I'm really just selling the body for a friend of mine to get into photography as well as making a slight upgrade on my end, so nothing super expensive haha

Also, I'm using Canon lenses so I guess it has to be canon hehe

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend for an upgrade for the Body coming from a Canon T2i?
Some things I would like are a Higher ISO (pictures to look better with lower lightning) movable display,and maybe 60 fps.
I'm really just selling the body for a friend of mine to get into photography as well as making a slight upgrade on my end, so nothing super expensive haha

Also, I'm using Canon lenses so I guess it has to be canon hehe

There's plenty of new T6i kits for $400ish

CircuitalPlacidity

Carnivorous Jesus
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm going to be building a new pc soon for photo and music projects. I would really prefer not to go over the $1000 mark. Photo stuff will just be LR and PS and as far as the music side goes it'll be mostly VST stuff out of Cubase or something similar. Any tips? I'm looking into an i7, but am unsure of which processor exactly....

Reaction score
Hi folks, very nice photos here... thought I'd share some of mine also. Some of you might have already seen "The Painting Thread", so, creating image is not new to me. I have a pretty nice camera, outdated already, but pretty nice nevertheless, however, this one photo was taken with my smartphone (Samsung S4 mini, yeah, and oldie also). No post production.

Let's pray for a working link to Google photos...
It's a vertical shoot of a stairwell from the floor up, to a window at the top, hence this kind of light. The next photo is from the opposite direction, just to show what this is all about and isn't half as awesome as this one (IMO obviously). I'll try to share some more photos, as I move along, I've been collecting some since 2004 and photography wasn't new to me by then...

z59tUMeVNyfoyQOZz_DG2cpXfq8gVE28TP3HAc2Ry9_Fadt1WvwfdNQOOPA70XHQHdiStA30VbnLNBCkgAZHLzZtZTuKsgDGkgZPMj8BzzEHVpq7eHf2cA07Xhd_lqlP1znLdkudn2QyPmT261kJzt9FBNmU22ttSg7pqnagpAvywvCGoFMYYZr8NUwreN8991jf44EnkGKMh88Xw6ILnDZ01KbaFyWimha5HOrzRBtUQxoSM1VbNjf0fFShS9MynZj2P1bNlRW04R52XgfxSzOfbQAqzZn7luSW-Wf0lqStcyGiYbjduCQe4_KEEPn_xJH3GGVS9X7HU9H-_aExPSUvn-McHZMdO_S2OQFyhTsj6vjUuHaL3VoQr6_kgxIjLsP6qiXLNPtzBfe9dObVTR6bshZj0om8yV9DfYagUqOJsm8uWVhROcCRhIJskYA04-stVwNfRYXn3w4Ddkea6VdbJWWZ6V8L6a57VWG38OuR4e_nHBiFdXWFONBzVDmUqw4do-bg1DPIRwmCTBIztr3G99RUAu9_fm_w_T5l2AtReySzG5dV6PUngmqQlftCKqPlZHNSy45GU4b8vgpCeHjF969JFOWVTZsHmCpqNjiPwdGEdHYK=w1920-h1080-no

GIc7LVHaaL7ycnBjiB2QZ9J8Ly3IzC_bfdovJQCHUdsm4QVf206JkFLy4Xqx_2gk2BMKw9nkPOrmJxM5LL-YS522ssDaHGwMXa0PMLM8KrGYxdWL4GyzoT5uCgFDsf0j-o1vkeLOHkby_sJeAVVqcSpOOTkRTFScHNnlixYKReydDITuPkTJKSQOLEN5n9PGZds3XbxdO6cgx9Lg1p3xEfrK9KxEBKBPo6Ue6O7Nb9ABjv2TriwwD1ZW-rmFC4Y9K7rOMrvzYEqzyIZLXhWJNhLWZwL_HM2OJ3j1nfPDFyN0p5Qtdo9NqtJw2Y364pVkp6zyMAUhDcBWfBHxOzD39svefGlJqTrlZPCRHjiqNH-xcqjjca5nJphktl36e9UztpxYAJEP602yyUdBmt0Z7kSi_ieAiPVEQ_6uzA49AvyFYPCbIXRogIURB8D31I7GFtEyf2vt98ZCOQ4SsnylH6wPC8TjhaMjsHIM0wDm66ftTz8Horc1mtsd4jO4TLeklrweXIPR30zOvGNDcY98q2TXaPHRxXtPgS_MiD8o-Iq5yhTwV3wv_MlGxYEq38WKl9skbCEFbLgUMX58rI4dx_-QDKtgQCBISdFJtaKOP8bJobBnZanV=w1920-h1080-no

feilong29

Reaction score
Just got back from my trip to the Big Island. It was absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feilong29

Reaction score
Been a while y'all! Everyone still shooting? What's everyone's setup these days? After about 4 years, I've finally upgraded to the Fujifilm X-E3. I feel that since I'm moving to Japan, and it rains often, I should have gotten a weather-sealed upgrade, but...bills and being broke lol. I took this from my lanai yesterday. Yep, I'm still editing like doo-doo haha, but I wanted to have a reason to take my first shot. I pushed some of the colors and kept it as "dark" and colorful as possible. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

47621809732_57301632b7_h.jpg

h