Pick Grip trick?

Mawnsterr

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

had a quick question concerning pick grip. Basically, I use either the Ultex Sharp 1.14 or the black John Petrucci pick (not the jazz picks, it's a little bigger, similar to the Ultex), but I forget the model name. Anyways, I love both these picks, but here's the problem: they have NO GRIP!!!.

I attempted a couple of different ways to create my own grip on it, but was left with failure.

Question: Do any of you use any "home techniques" to create a grip on your pick?

*If you have any pick models that are very very similar to the two I mentioned and have grip, please let me know.

Thank you everyone, I look forward to your answers!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I use Dunlop Jazztone 205's which have decent grip but it's still not enough so I drill a ton of small holes in them. I usually drill 15 holes in a particular pattern in each pick. I just use a power drill with a 1/16" bit. It also makes the pick a tiny bit lighter. You wouldn't think it would be noticeable but I swear I can tell.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
i use those purple triangles from dunlop and i cut a pattern in them on both sides, i use a stanley knife (dunno if that's a thing in the americas)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I use ultex jazz III's and luckily, I haven't had much of an issue with grip, though I will say that brand new ones are pretty damn slippy. They seem to get grippier as they get more use. The petrucci ones are even slicker.

I second ncfiala's recommendation; drill some holes in the pick, that should improve grip by quite a bit.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I predetermined my genetics to make it so I never sweat. Works pretty well, I've never dropped a pick during a gig.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Have you tried gorilla snot?
I've never tried it myself, but it is supposed to help.

I have some snot that I bought years ago. It never helped grip the pick, just made a mess that was difficult to clean. I once used some isopropyl alcohol to clean it off some Pick boy brand picks. The alcohol melted the picks.

I am weird and use 3 mm Dunlop Jazz Stubbies. I actually use my middle and index fingertips along with my thumb to hold the pick. When I was younger, I had a problem with picks twisting (tip rotating away from where I wanted it), so adapted with using the edge of my middle finger tip to help stabilize the pick grip.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
I use to know a guy that used skateboard grip tape. Although it felt like sandpaper to me. I drill holes if I need any extra. You could always just use tape though, like duct tape. It won't be super grippy, but the grip will at least be different. I actually think it would work out pretty well.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
Another idea. Drill holes, but not all the way through. Only half way. Fill the holes with a glue that will harden. If you slightly overfill them, you could create small little "bumps" of glue that will create a texture.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Another idea. Drill holes, but not all the way through. Only half way. Fill the holes with a glue that will harden. If you slightly overfill them, you could create small little "bumps" of glue that will create a texture.

Depending on the material of the picks, it reminds me of a trick I have seen with plastic volume knobs. The tip of a soldering iron can make divots in the material to allow for more grip.

metaldoggie

Pro smeghead
Reaction score
I use to know a guy that used skateboard grip tape. Although it felt like sandpaper to me. I drill holes if I need any extra. You could always just use tape though, like duct tape. It won't be super grippy, but the grip will at least be different. I actually think it would work out pretty well.

Actually I bought a few Clayton sand shark picks not too long ago, which basically have colored sand glued on.

Didn't really like them at all though, not my thing.

agonybrian

Reaction score
Ultex sharp..no grip?? Are you serious? I haven't played a pick with better grip. It's the only pick that doesn't slide around when I'm playing it. I used Tortex .88's forever and jazz 3's but discovered the .90 ultex sharp and will probably never use another pick again. Not to mention, they don't wear out near as fast.

Slamrish

Reaction score

Necky379

Reaction score
^
I do the same thing after sharpening them on the carpet, like an intentional rug burn. I'm using Dunlop Gator Grip picks.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
:scratch:

Not trying to toot but I never think about this kind of stuff. I almost never drop or lose control of my picks. I've thought about the grip tape idea because I was an avid skateboarder, but never really needed to

Latest posts