Pickup advice for RG2228

• Thread starter Apatheosis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Not sure how Aftermaths would sound in a basswood guitar, they really shine in mahogany instruments IMO.

Tosin may not use them but I'm a huge fan of the M8 bridge pickup, they have great definition and are a lot more versatile than some people think. Plus the active-sized one would be a straight drop-in without any drilling or rerouting of the pickup cavity.

That said, all of your options sound good to me and it really just comes down to personal preference. I would guess some sort of matched set would work better than, say, an M8 in the bridge and a Lace in the neck.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I'm the big 808x supporter here and I will say the EMG videos of Tosin playing did not sway me to buy them. In fact, you can barely hear his live signal in those videos; its mainly the studio recording which I believe was mostly recorded with Mischa's Carvin. Feel free to fact check that though.

The 808x's will be the easiest to install. You simply unclip the 808's and clip in the 808x's and you are done.

After the 808x's were installed my first reaction was, "Where did all the bass go?" My second reaction was "I can actually hear the notes on the 8th string...with distortion on and everything!"

What I like most about them is they seem to do whatever you need them to do. In fact, through my Mesa Roadster, I don't really hear the pickups, its just 4 channels with their own character clearly coming through. High end ribbon microphone preamps have a lot of clean gain on tap and thats what the 808x's remind me of. They don't get in the way and only seem to enhance the sound of your amp!

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
The best pickups in the world are about to hit the market: EMG 81-8/85-8. Get those, unless you don't want actives, but from what your saying, if you want the ultimate in 8 string pickups for high gain, clarity, and METAL, EMG is #1.

(and I urge you to pay no attention to any of the trolling flame anti-emg clowns that say otherwise cuz youll find a lot of them on this site)

Johnathan

Gearhead
Reaction score
The best pickups in the world are about to hit the market: EMG 81-8/85-8. Get those, unless you don't want actives, but from what your saying, if you want the ultimate in 8 string pickups for high gain, clarity, and METAL, EMG is #1.

(and I urge you to pay no attention to any of the trolling flame anti-emg clowns that say otherwise cuz youll find a lot of them on this site)

Sure, the 81s and 85s are really nice pickups. But still, to claim that they are the ultimate pickups for metal. Fine, that might be your opinion. And i do agree with you, to a certain degree. You can't get every type of metal sound there is out there with the EMGs. When it comes down to it, it's all about taste.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
Sure, the 81s and 85s are really nice pickups. But still, to claim that they are the ultimate pickups for metal. Fine, that might be your opinion. And i do agree with you, to a certain degree. You can't get every type of metal sound there is out there with the EMGs. When it comes down to it, it's all about taste.
and i agree with you. it does come down to taste in the end.