Pickup issue

• Thread starter thrsher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
I just got to the studio and plugged my 8 string in. Dimarzio dactivator 8 and i am getting practically no response. My other guitars are fine but i dont know what the issue is. Guitar was fine last week, its as if the pickup died. Checking the wiring, everything looks fine. Guitar is only a few weeks old and its just a single bridge pickup. Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the contacts on the jack "holding" the plug properly?

With such a simple layout, I'd just re-solder everything to be sure it's not a bad joint that's come a little loose.

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
Yeah, might be that.
I'd try finding out, most likely in this order:
1) check the jack itself
2) take a screwdriver and tap the pickup on the bobbins, if there's no sound, proceed to bypass the volumepot (simply just solder straight to the jack). Tap the pickup again. No sound? If you get a sound, it was your volumepot. if you don't, check the cable(s) from pickup to jack and the connections of these to the pickup... unlikely, but either the cables / the connection are dead, or the pickup is dead (even more unlikely).

but i'd bet on a broken pot?

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
Im gonna check the pot as this seems very likely based on symptoms. Thanks guys