Pickup rings to direct mount - do I just use wood screws?

• Thread starter Tisca
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
or get those mounting base plates? For height adjustment wood screws could be bad in the long run. There's also some "screw anchors" out there. Don't know if I even have enough body thickness for wood screws.

lewis

Reaction score
or get those mounting base plates? For height adjustment wood screws could be bad in the long run. There's also some "screw anchors" out there. Don't know if I even have enough body thickness for wood screws.

Seriously use the FU Tone PMS blocks.
They are super easy to install, height adjustment is easy and they sound better in.
Pricey yes but on a quality guitar, they are worth it

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
My Mayones has threaded metal inserts in the body and uses machine screws which is nice, but every other direct-mount guitar I have just uses wood screws. Pickup height tends to be a set-and-forget thing for me, so adjustment has never really been an issue.

Even if it strips out, it’s not hard enough to fill and redrill a hole to justify some other solution as far as I’m concerned. In fact the only time I’ve had a problem with mounting holes is when I switched from Duncan to Lundgren on my schecter A7+, since the Lundgren’s mounting holes were a bit wider spaced. I just filled the holes with a drop of superglue and a piece of toothpick (fit almost perfect).

Also as far as wood screws go, find something small with a small head, not like sheetrock screws or something. Also make sure they’re not so long as to go through the body.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
use hex/torx head screws, or if you can't find any, use stainless or other harder alloys (stay away from zinc or super cheap phillips wood screws, the heads strip really easily). Trust me, it'll save you a lot of headaches that come from taking out stripped screw heads or screw holes. Alternatively if you're feeling fancy, slap in some threaded inserts and never worry about either of the aforementioned issues.

lewis

Reaction score
oh wait yeah, I completely forgot these existed!!

@Tisca https://shop.warwick.de/en/Parts+fo...ded+Insert+for+Pickup+Mounting+_M2.5+threads_

phpThumb.php

Get some of these bud

1Euro each

lewis

Reaction score
That's cheap. Shipping will set me back 15€ tho. I'll see if I can find somewhere else.
ah bummer! :(

is that from Europe to the USA? (im assuming thats where you live?)
That is abit steeeeep given they wont weigh much!

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Why don't I just glue nuts into the body wood with holes underneath. I also came up with a solution for not having to drill threads from pickups. If I feel productive I could build something similar to those FU Tone PMS blocks.

lewis

Reaction score
Why don't I just glue nuts into the body wood with holes underneath. I also came up with a solution for not having to drill threads from pickups. If I feel productive I could build something similar to those FU Tone PMS blocks.
if you can and sell them less than £50 each, I will happily give you my money hahaha

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Todo me pickups screwed right into the wood with quality foam underneath works perfect. I'll never put more springs into my guitar than those strictly necessary.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Cheap alternative to PMS: Buy some cheap pickup baseplates from Ebay, screw those to the bottom of the pickup cavity and then mount the pickup directly to it.