Pickup suggestion for 80's glassy tones (HS Configuration)

• Thread starter ScatteredDimension
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
Hi, so I have a Jackson HSS soloist (sticker bombed to cover the middle pickup) and I'd like to know is it possible to achieve those awesome glassy 80's clean tones with basically only one neck singlecoil pickup.
Asking this since I believe those sounds usually comes from the 2 and 4 positions with a middle pickup involved.
I now have a single coil pickup from a charvette that looks cool with the Charvel logo, but it's a noisy pickup (distorted) and i'm sure there are better pickups for the tone I'm looking for.

So what pickup would fit the bill and should I also look for different wiring options? I have a basic 5way switch atm.

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
80’s glassy cleans make me think of Huff/Luke/Timmons.

Have used the Cruiser (dp187) in the neck and it’ll do that tone with a bit more girth

Dann Huff used the Duncan Hot Stack (s2) but I’ve not got hands on experience of it

Would also say that a compressor is pretty key for the majority of 80’s cleans

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
The ESP single (SS 120) in the Lynch guitars does it extremely well, although it can't normally be found separately.

Cruiser would be a good choice. Duncan rails generally come up short in the glass department, although can be very nice for leads.

fookite

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
80’s glassy cleans make me think of Huff/Luke/Timmons.

Have used the Cruiser (dp187) in the neck and it’ll do that tone with a bit more girth

Dann Huff used the Duncan Hot Stack (s2) but I’ve not got hands on experience of it

Would also say that a compressor is pretty key for the majority of 80’s cleans
I've always struggled trying to get these kind of tones. What's your process for dialing in the compressor?