Pickup suggestions for jangly, grity baritone guitar?

• Thread starter spudmunkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Thinking about building a baritone guitar, and looking for pickup suggestions:

I lack the vocabulary to accurately describe the type of tone I'm hoping to achieve, beyond "jangly" or "gritty".

The guitar will have 2 pickups. I'm hoping to get a great low-to-mid gain gritty tone for the neck pickup. Like...i want a non-slide guitar version of Morphine's bass players's tone. A humbucker would be preferred simply because of noise, but I could make something else work.

And bonus points for if they look unique, like TV jones/filtertrons, lipstick pickups, or a unique P90-sort of cover.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Your options depend a lot on the pickup routes in the guitar.

What guitar do you plan to swap the pickups in?

If you have humbucker routes (pretty common) i would go with a Railhammer Humcutter of some sort in the neck and a Railhammer Chisel in the bridge. When i hear Railhammer demos I hear that jangly grit (no first hand experience though)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
1. what's your budget
2. give us some other band examples

No budget.

I'll need to think about that, I think.

Your options depend a lot on the pickup routes in the guitar.

What guitar do you plan to swap the pickups in?

If you have humbucker routes (pretty common) i would go with a Railhammer Humcutter of some sort in the neck and a Railhammer Chisel in the bridge. When i hear Railhammer demos I hear that jangly grit (no first hand experience though)

It would be for a self-made guitar body, so no limitations. If it's something weird, I can build around them.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I would look at some sort of PAF humbucker for the neck position like a Duncan '59 or Dimarzio PAF Pro, then a more modern noiseless Telecaster bridge pickup like the Dimarzio Area T.

I've got a Thinline Tele tuned to C that has a Dimarzio Area T set and it does all the nice clean and spanky sounds you'd expect from a Tele, but it also handles higher gain riffing like a champ. "Jangly" is probably a good word to describe the Area T bridge through a distorted amp :yesway: I've had the PAF Pro in the neck position of a few guitars and I'm always impressed. Plenty of attack and clarity, but it's very vocal in its midrange and isn't thin sounding. Great for leads, cleans, finger picking, etc.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Amp is gonna be pretty damn determining if this works well or not.

Im guessing vintage accurate pickups would do it. But yeah, evaluate the amp its running into.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Anderson stacked singles
manlius makes some interesting humbuckers
Rio grande also has some unique stuff.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Go for the Danelectro look similar to this:

yyrrf8vczuvigdceyatl.jpg

Or if you're feeling adventurous, grab 4 single coils and go the Aoi from Gazette approach:

en-iii-aoi.png

As for pickup choices, definitely go for the 60s voiced ones, like Dimarzio Area 61, BKP Mothers Milk, any Dano Lipstick (SD makes some too). P90s. Or dual Lollartrons would be sweet.

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Rio grande also has some unique stuff.

They do indeed. :lol: I was hoping they were wired standard to be able to use all 3 coils, but it's just 1 or 2 coils at a time, from what i can tell. It's not the tone I was looking for, but they look awesome. Ha!
0000498_crunchbox-bulldozer.jpeg

Mini humbuckers often have that characteristic, no?

Some seem to, yes. Mini Humbuckers and P90-ish pickups sort of occupy a similar space in my mind's ear.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Suhr Thornbuckers would probably work really well. Lower output vintage vibe. But they'll scream in the right situation. I'd go with the + in the bridge as it was designed for the bridge in longer scale length guitars. It has single coil like bite to it while set as a humbucker and it splits really well. In general Suhr pickups are criminally not spoken about for heavy down tuned music.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure you're right. I'm just not sure what that actually means, as that's a pretty damn wide net to cast. :lol:

Pick your pickup type, go to the sd site and find their vintage spec of that.

Then find out which sims in the helix are vintage amps, and work with that - once the guitar is built.

Also go try some guitars in store to see which have a jangly base tone (calling the jazzmaster right now but we'll see).

Latest posts