Pickups for Gibson SG (DOOM)

• Thread starter skullfxr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Ah shit, didn't know he left them, but I did notice something going on with Mastodon sets when I was buying my Duncan Distortions; I was looking for a set of Divinators or the other one Bill had, and it was like they never even existed.
they still have sets of pike's sigs on their site, so he may still be with them (or they're NOS sets) but bill, brent, wino and the red fang guys definitely jumped ship.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Amer Alameddine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I cannot speak from experience, but I've heard the Bare Knuckle Warpig is a great choice for that kind of music. This video is old but it shows it in action doing a pretty good job.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I went with the Railhammer Anvil and Nuevo 90. Should be solid AF. Excited to have a P90 for the neck. $170 shipped for the pair isn't bad either.

I will get them installed when I get them and let you all know what I think.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
P90 for the neck is also my choice, and blends really nicely with a HB with the 4 knob LP/SG control layout.

Ultimately the market for these things is so saturated with booteek builders that as long as you pick someone with a good reputation you should get great results.

A $300 pair of pickups is not 5x more pickup than a $60 pair, it turns out, and the differences are mostly negligible after a certain point.

Looking forward to hearing your choices in action.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score
Best pickup I had for my doom setup was a single Lace Drop N Gain in a partscaster. Was dark and undefined, going into my Orange TV200. I know Lace has kinda gone the way of the buffalo it seems, but I'd also check out some BLK/TRI pickups if you can find em. They are little bit bright but super doomy and they go great in SG/Les Pauls.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Best pickup I had for my doom setup was a single Lace Drop N Gain in a partscaster. Was dark and undefined, going into my Orange TV200. I know Lace has kinda gone the way of the buffalo it seems, but I'd also check out some BLK/TRI pickups if you can find em. They are little bit bright but super doomy and they go great in SG/Les Pauls.
pssh good luck finding blk/tri stuff. It took me over a year to find a used yeti and his website/IG is dead anymore.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
If you're playing into a Rockverb and you like Wata from Boris tone, she is using a JB.

The Lace signature Matt Pike Hesher pickups are also really bad ass imo. One time I picked up a silverburst Epiphone LPC with a Hesher bridge and I really regret trading it, or at least not keeping that pickup before I traded.

Dave Death

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you were spending more dough I'd recommend the alnico War Pig from Bare Knuckle. They are not cheap though. I don't know if their Brute Force pickup from their Boot Camp range gets anywhere close. I think it is closer to their ceramic pickups.

oracles

Reaction score
pssh good luck finding blk/tri stuff. It took me over a year to find a used yeti and his website/IG is dead anymore.

BLK/TRI has always been a side business for Mike, and I dont anticipate that changing anytime soon. He's a busy guy, and this just isn't his priority, nor does it need to be. Every time he does a drop, it sells out in roughly 3mins. I get the frustration for sure, I love his stuff, I've switched to it exclusively, but he's just not pushing it as much as he is other projects.

Eyelessfiend

Reaction score

I kinda lost track of him tbh. I got a few sets when he was still making pickups more regularly. I thought he would have come back by now but I know Mike is a busy dude. Just sucks cause I'd love more guitars loaded with BLK/TRI pickups.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
If you were spending more dough I'd recommend the alnico War Pig from Bare Knuckle. They are not cheap though. I don't know if their Brute Force pickup from their Boot Camp range gets anywhere close. I think it is closer to their ceramic pickups.

I've used/owned both. The Alnico Warpig would be a better fit for doom. In my experience messing with the Brute Force, there's ample output, but it sounds leaner and tighter on the lower end of the spectrum. I really like that set, but at the same time I think there's better choices out there for going HAM with some doom music.

Screwhead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
BKP War Pig. I've got a pair in a 7 string fanned fret and they sound incredible. I'm using a Ground FX Burning Sunn as a preamp and the sound is absolutely perfect.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
BKP War Pig. I've got a pair in a 7 string fanned fret and they sound incredible. I'm using a Ground FX Burning Sunn as a preamp and the sound is absolutely perfect.

i fully realize that you are trying to help, but you recommending something for a completely different application. a seven string fanned fret is a far different guitar than an SG. i am assuming that everything else with the guitar spec-wise is different too. that really doesn't help me or anybody because its so far off.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the pickups should be here today and i will get them installed today pending the hurricane that may landfall in tampa today.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Question: was the song War Pigs even recorded with humbuckers? I know Tony recorded S/T with P90s but I'm not sure when he eventually changed to humbuckers.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread makes me glad I can get boutique pickups for about $120usd shipped :lol:.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
a) I love those stock pups
b) Bare Knuckle Boot Camp pickups are relatively inexpensive and very good. The 'Brute Force' variety is supposed to be similar to the Warpig but probably too high output. They welcome emails for this type of thing.
c) +1 for P90 in the neck!

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
How about a Gibson 498 for the bridge? I love them in LP Studios and I'm gonna put one in an SG bridge eventually. They seem to be made for Electric Wizard/Sleep/etc. Nice and growly. You can leave the 490 in the neck, just get one p'up.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Electric Wizard/Sleep

Sorry, I'm not aiming to pick on you, but it always bothers me when people act like these two bands' tones are at all similar just because they are both stoner metal bands. They are tonally not even close.

Electric Wizard is a fuzz pedal, most famously a boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. EW's entire sound revolves around fuzz into a high wattage clean amp (Hiwatt). EW tone is scooped.

Sleep (Matt Pike) is all about cranked tube amp distortion and pushed speakers. He doesn't use a fuzz pedal. Sleep tone is projecting midrange.

Despite both bands being stoner metal pioneers, they practically couldn't have a more different tone and approach to making it.

There's this incredibly stupid YouTube video with way to many views and likes where Rabea teaches you how to "get Sleep tone on a budget" by playing a fuzz pedal into a low watt Blackstar. It literally sounds nothing like Sleep (or HoF) and the tone is absolute shit.

Ted Pikul

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not aiming to pick on you, but it always bothers me when people act like these two bands' tones are at all similar just because they are both stoner metal bands. They are tonally not even close.

Electric Wizard is a fuzz pedal, most famously a boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. EW's entire sound revolves around fuzz into a high wattage clean amp (Hiwatt). EW tone is scooped.

Sleep (Matt Pike) is all about cranked tube amp distortion and pushed speakers. He doesn't use a fuzz pedal. Sleep tone is projecting midrange.

Despite both bands being stoner metal pioneers, they practically couldn't have a more different tone and approach to making it.

There's this incredibly stupid YouTube video with way to many views and likes where Rabea teaches you how to "get Sleep tone on a budget" by playing a fuzz pedal into a low watt Blackstar. It literally sounds nothing like Sleep (or HoF) and the tone is absolute shit.

It's a versatile pickup.