Playing... FEAR FACTORY - What to use ?

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Ok, so what effects do i have to use to have a good FF sound...
I know here are some FF fans...
Thanks

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
You dont need any effects, all you need is brutal distortion, maybe an EQ pedal to dial in a tight sound, and a super heavy pick attack. EMG's would help too. He used a modded JCM800 for Demanufacture and Obsolete, then switched to Line6 PodXT pros into mesa tube power amps for Digimortal, only cuz his modded marshal got stolen.

RCB

Reaction score
Also keep in mind the tunings used on certain FF records. For instance:

S.O.A.N.M--B
Demanufacture--B
Obsolete--A
Digimortal--B,A (for most of the record), and G

As for Archetype and Transgression, I believe it's mostly (if not souly) B tuning.

One last thing I'll mention is that Dino had a chorus pedal in his Marshall rig. I don't know how it was used, but it was there.

Hope this helps, and if ya already knew this...well....:ugh:.......:runs out the door:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Volsung said:
Also keep in mind the tunings used on certain FF records. For instance:

S.O.A.N.M--B
Demanufacture--B
Obsolete--A
Digimortal--B,A (for most of the record), and G

As for Archetype and Transgression, I believe it's mostly (if not souly) B tuning.

One last thing I'll mention is that Dino had a chorus pedal in his Marshall rig. I don't know how it was used, but it was there.

Hope this helps, and if ya already knew this...well....:ugh:.......:runs out the door:

Bad misinformation there. Obsolete has songs in B (Hi-Tech Hate, Resurrection, etc) as well as A. Archetype and Transgression do as well.

FF really doesnt use fx, on Digimortal they used some a bit, but in general its just straight up. There might be some on Transgression but I don't consider that a genuine FF album.

Brord

Furor Teutonicus
Reaction score
Dino uses chorus on his clean sound. Make sure you have a NOISEGATE to get that instant silence on the stackato ritm playing and make sure to use a decent amount of mid's, dino got most of it's low end out of the low mid register. Use plenty of highs and be a little more gentle on the precense. Use just enough gain to get the palm muted notes nice and crunchy (more of a scraping sound than a thud in the chest). Use LIGHT strings (.10's for standard tuning + .52 for the low B he used) Emg 707's and heavey pick attack wil help a lot.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Im pretty sure he uses 9s for B and 10s for A. Its likely the .052 is for B tuning. I cant imagine tuning ADGCFAD with a .052, i'd think it would be at least a .056.

Brord

Furor Teutonicus
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure that's what I read, but I'm not going to argue about such details... Anyway he uses light strings.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes, the light strings definitely play a HUGE part in his crisp tight huge tone.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Im pretty sure he uses 9s for B and 10s for A. Its likely the .052 is for B tuning. I cant imagine tuning ADGCFAD with a .052, i'd think it would be at least a .056.

I remember reading he uses/used a 50" anything over that was muddy to him.

EdgeCrusher said:
You dont need any effects, all you need is brutal distortion, maybe an EQ pedal to dial in a tight sound, and a super heavy pick attack. EMG's would help too. He used a modded JCM800 for Demanufacture and Obsolete, then switched to Line6 PodXT pros into mesa tube power amps for Digimortal, only cuz his modded marshal got stolen.

nope just line6 pods. Dino said he found his sound playing with a line6 pod(tight high gain) with the mesa power amp (tube warmth and tone) He a/b'd them with recto's but chose the line6 due to the slight tube sag with the recto's:agreed:

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Ibanez (with EMG and painted neck, set trem) --> Pod Pro (not XT I'm pretty sure) --> Mesa 2:90 --> 2xMesa 2x12 cabs

that was around 2000 I think?

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
InTheRavensName said:
Ibanez (with EMG and painted neck, set trem) --> Pod Pro (not XT I'm pretty sure) --> Mesa 2:90 --> 2xMesa 2x12 cabs

that was around 2000 I think?

yeah sound about right. I remember the thing about the painted neck too.:agreed:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
He also used a filter pedal (like the Ibanez LF-7 Lo-Fi) for those scratchy, look-mum-no-bass-or-mids sound (3:03 in No One or 2:44 of Back The Fuck Up offa Digimortal). I believe he also uses chorus for the "melodic" bits in song where there are single string ideas; i.e (Memory Imprints) Never End and Descent for two examples. Does he not use the Vetta II now? Seems bloody stupid that Line 6 wouldn't advertise his usage of it...

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
stitch216 said:
He also used a filter pedal (like the Ibanez LF-7 Lo-Fi) for those scratchy, look-mum-no-bass-or-mids sound (3:03 in No One or 2:44 of Back The Fuck Up offa Digimortal). I believe he also uses chorus for the "melodic" bits in song where there are single string ideas; i.e (Memory Imprints) Never End and Descent for two examples. Does he not use the Vetta II now? Seems bloody stupid that Line 6 wouldn't advertise his usage of it...

Where did you see he uses the Vetta? As far as I've known he's used the POD Pro and Flextone II head.

I think it's funny how no one's talked about Christian's sound. I prefer Dino's myself.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Christians sound is just a Krankenstein I think. :noplease:

Sebastian

Reaction score
Well... not so sure if its only a Krankenstein...

I prefer Christian (i dont say Dino is worse.. i just like Christian more...)

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
I think I prefer Christian's playing...

as for his rig, he has a powerbook and guitar rig II for FX I think...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Really? Wow.. have you heard the album "Demanufacture" or "Osbolete"? Christians not bad but the FF style is 100% Dino, Christian is pretty much just doing his best impersonation right now.