Playing... FEAR FACTORY - What to use ?

• Thread starter Sebastian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Well , there will be no one like Dino anymore...
But Christian plays the songs good... like the Big Day Out 2004 - great concert...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the new Asesino record. That's some intense stuff. I love Fear Factory, they are one of my top 5 all-time bands, but they need to redeem themselves after Transgression.

Sebastian

Reaction score
That is right...
Well i cant buy the first Asesino record in Poland.. that sucks... Lets just hope the new FF album (2008 ?/. probably) will be a Killer album

RCB

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Bad misinformation there. Obsolete has songs in B (Hi-Tech Hate, Resurrection, etc) as well as A. Archetype and Transgression do as well.

FF really doesnt use fx, on Digimortal they used some a bit, but in general its just straight up. There might be some on Transgression but I don't consider that a genuine FF album.

You correct on some level. As far as Dino's tuning on Obsolete, it is in A. Dino didn't play an open A on Resurrection. The lowest note in the tune is a freted B note. It's all here in their 'Evolution of Fear Factory' book. It's possible to play Resurrection on a standard B tuned guitar and be note for note accurate though. And I'm sure that the same situation can apply to Hi-Tech Hate as well.

To see it in action, go to www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMgSTxyoCFE (video and audio are a little off).

Now for Archetype and Transgression, I'm not 100% sure of and I hope I didn't come off as 'all knowing' about those records.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There are a few songs on "Obsolete" that are in BEADGBE tuning. It's not just that on a few of the songs the lowest note is B, its that in certain chords theres open note drones that are clearly in B. Same goes for Digimortal. There is no way Ressurection is in A, for example..

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Christian's sound never really impressed me, but in retrospect thats probably because i had heard it all with Dino's sound. This isn't a sleight against Christians rig (it sounds fucking good in isolation) but it doesnt grab you and go "shit!" like Dino's first did. Its refreshingly different from all the scooped mids-no definition shit that is everywhere. Transgression was pish-poor, although Christians sound on Archetype isn't a Krankenstein, its a marshall JMP-1.
As for the Vetta, i may have got slightly confused there, but im petty sure i have seen pics and interviews where he talks about his Vetta.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I didnt realize a JMP-1 was capable of sounding that good. I mean it wasnt that ballsy, it needed the bass to fill it out, but it was pretty good.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I thought the JMP wasn't that bad.

Now the Krankenstein, on the other hand, :barf:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
The krankenstein IMO is viciously overrated. Listening to Shadows Fall and Arch Enemy and Fear Factory who all used it, i just haven't been impressed. The fact that it doesnt even "do" clean makes me think its a stupidly overpriced re-work of my 6505, cos the cleans suck on that too!

RCB

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
There are a few songs on "Obsolete" that are in BEADGBE tuning. It's not just that on a few of the songs the lowest note is B, its that in certain chords theres open note drones that are clearly in B. Same goes for Digimortal. There is no way Ressurection is in A, for example..

Yeah I get ya. I think I'll leave this one in the air for another time. We need to ask Dino about all this. Didn't that Shannon fellow tell him about this site? We need an interview done by the fans.

To Be Continued...:D

ANYWAY, I hope I helped a little bit there VEGETATHEPUPPET

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
InTheRavensName said:
Arch Enemy seemed lacking with the Krank as opposed to the 5150's...

Arch Enemy use the Krank Revolution head which supposedly is a lot better than the Krankenstein. Apparently the Rev1 is a legit tube amp and not solid-state like the Krankenstein. That being said I havent heard them live witih their Kranks so I can't judge, but 5150s are always amazing.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
1) 7-string with light strings (10-50 for B songs, 10-52 for A songs)
2) Line6 Flextone (he's been using one for years)
3) EMG707 pickups

The only effects he's been known to use are...
Chorus and delay for cleans
Ibanez Lo-Fi pedal

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I thought it was 9-50 for B and 10-52 for A.. ah who cares, close enough :yesway: I did hear his EMG 707s are custom made anr voiced differently than stock ones though.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
After talking with him, I can assure you, they are the same.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
EdgeCrusher said:
He used a modded JCM800 for Demanufacture and Obsolete, then switched to Line6 PodXT pros into mesa tube power amps for Digimortal, only cuz his modded marshal got stolen.

The PodXT didn't even EXIST when Digimortal was released! As a matter of fact, the PodXT didn't even exist when Dino was IN Fear Factory. C'mon man.

Volsung said:
Also keep in mind the tunings used on certain FF records. For instance:

S.O.A.N.M--B
Demanufacture--B
Obsolete--A
Digimortal--B,A (for most of the record), and G

As for Archetype and Transgression, I believe it's mostly (if not souly) B tuning.

Also keep in mind that SOANM and Demanufacture were done on 6 string guitars tuned to B. Not 7's. Dino didn't get into the 7's until after Deman was recorded. And Obsolete was done with tunings of B and A (along with a G song or two if you got the Digipak). Same with Digimortal.

Volsung said:
As far as Dino's tuning on Obsolete, it is in A. Dino didn't play an open A on Resurrection. The lowest note in the tune is a freted B note. It's all here in their 'Evolution of Fear Factory' book. It's possible to play Resurrection on a standard B tuned guitar and be note for note accurate though. And I'm sure that the same situation can apply to Hi-Tech Hate as well.

Just because a publishing company releases the tab for an album doesn't mean it's 100% accurate either dude. Ever look at 'Blackened' for the AJFA album? It's WAY off base. Most of that album's book is. The only book I trust is books published or 'authorized' by their guitarist, i.e. Dream Theater tabs. JP looks over the tabs and corrects them if they're wrong.

Moral of the story: Don't trust what you read. Trust what you hear.

zimbloth said:

+1 :agreed:

stitch216 said:
The krankenstein IMO is viciously overrated. Listening to Shadows Fall and Arch Enemy and Fear Factory who all used it, i just haven't been impressed. The fact that it doesnt even "do" clean makes me think its a stupidly overpriced re-work of my 6505, cos the cleans suck on that too!

Shadows Fall doesn't really use Krank amps. They're endorsed by them, but their stage amps are unloaded, dummy amps/cabs. Well, the cabs might be real, but the amp heads are clearly dummy. You can even see it in their magazine ads. (Although for the life of me I can't seem to google an image of their magazine ad... :scratch: )