Playing Through the Cab While Recording Through IR

• Thread starter Ribboz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Hello,
My father records through his Suhr Reactive load. But also enjoys hearing his amp through the cab. I want to make it so he can do both while being able to control the volume of his cab separately. Here are my current ideas.

1. Suhr Reactive Load Thru direct out to a RockCrusher or other attenuator.
2. Suhr Reactive Load IR Headphones out to a separate power amp. (John Suhr supposedly recommended this) (Wouldn't this apply the IR to the sound? Isn't putting a IR before a power amp a bad idea?)
3. Waza Tube Expander

A couple of possible options but I'm not sure how they will work out.

A. Suhr Reactive Load Unbalanced Out to RME and Balance Out XLR - 1/4" to power amp (Can the Suhr Reactive Load use both outputs at once?) (Would XLR - 1/4" to a power amp sound good?)
B. Suhr Reactive Load IR Unbalanced IR Out to RME and Unfiltered Out to power amp (Unfiltered out means it bypasses the IR, right?) (Can the Suhr Reactive Load IR use both outputs at once?)

What do you think would be the best option? My father wants to enjoy playing through the cab with the conveniences of recording IR. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless I'm somehow reading your post wrong, why not just use a 1/4" splitter box? Most I see are usually four outputs instead of two but still under $75.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Option B is probably the easiest way. Send the IR signal to the interface and unfiltered/no IR signal into a separate power amp to feed the cabinet.

You wouldn't have to go with a particularly fancy or expensive power amp, especially since this is likely just for bedroom/moderate levels. You can find PA style rack power amps of various power ratings for super cheap. Carvin, QSC, Crown, etc. Even one of the pedal-sized EHX power amps would work for just producing some sound in the room :2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Unless I'm somehow reading your post wrong, why not just use a 1/4" splitter box? Most I see are usually four outputs instead of two but still under $75.
Are you saying to use a splitter on the output from the Suhr Reactive Load, sending one to the DAW and one to a separate power amp? That could probably work.

Option B is probably the easiest way. Send the IR signal to the interface and unfiltered/no IR signal into a separate power amp to feed the cabinet.

You wouldn't have to go with a particularly fancy or expensive power amp, especially since this is likely just for bedroom/moderate levels. You can find PA style rack power amps of various power ratings for super cheap. Carvin, QSC, Crown, etc. Even one of the pedal-sized EHX power amps would work for just producing some sound in the room :2c:
Hmm. Ok that sounds pretty good. Thank you. :)

what amp?
Friedman BE100

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Another two options have come to mind.
1a. Line out from BE100 to power amp, with his current setup of the Suhr Reactive Load going to the Daw.
2b. Splitter sending one signal to amp/cab and the other signal going to an axe fx to Daw. Having two separate rigs at the same time.

Edit 3c. Would the BE's line out to the DAW, then through an IR, sound very different than the normal set through the suhr reactive load?

Last edited:

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
I record like this all the time, using my cab as my in-room monitor and recording separate tracks for dry DI, 'cabless', burned-in IR, and IR with post processing so a client can pick and choose whatever suits them.

I use a Line 6 Helix as the 'brain' of the operation, but the chain goes:

Guitar -> Helix input-> (for separate dry DI) -> pedalboard drives -> Amp input

Which then forks into:

Amp line out -> Helix loop return (so I can put an IR on it in the Helix, as well as time effects to a separate output)
Amp speaker out -> A2XR attenuator box -> cabinet

Latest posts