Please help my SLO 30 gas.

• Thread starter SkullCrusher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Realistically, above 50w, most of the time, it's not about a need for volume and more about the headroom and feel. That's not to say watts don't add volume at all, but it's not "the point" of having tons of watts most of the time (unless you're trying to play bass through it or something).

Ninja'd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
If you don't need tighter low end and more clean headroom then no, you don't need 100w.

Modern amps don't rely on power amp saturation anyway. It's about the bass response and headroom (thus compression). It's not about volume at all.

a very fair point indeed!! Thank you.

Unfortunately its nearly double the price of the 30.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Get it. Then decide you also want the 100. Sell me the 30 for $1500 and use the proceeds for the 100. The. We both win.

Wait...then I’d probably sell the 30 for $1000 and get a 100. So...uh...never mind.

Bearitone

Reaction score
a very fair point indeed!! Thank you.

Unfortunately its nearly double the price of the 30.

You could build one from a kit?
I just asked this in a forum a week or two ago and supposedly these are the way to go:
http://c3amps.com/SLO Kits.html

definitely cheaper just a bigger PITA because you have to put it together.

Maybe you could find a non-functioning SLO 100 on the cheap and throw some money towards getting it repaired?

I would just pass on the SLO 30 entirely though. Law of diminishing returns my friend. I highly, highly, doubt a SLO 30 or 100 is $2100 better than a used 6505. I actually doubt it sounds even $200 better than a used 6505 with fresh tubes. At least for high gain tones.

Last edited:

Aliascent

Reaction score
Maybe you could find a non-functioning SLO 100 on the cheap and throw some money towards getting it repaired?

I have never seen non-functioning SLOs for sale though. This stuff retains value so well that it's always worth fixing. I don't doubt it can happen, but never seen it.

To OP, get the SLO 30, or save and splurge for the big one. SLO tone is to die for and highly addictive.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
In the UK a price of a Mesa Mark V (90 watt) is now the same as a SLO30. Now this changes things.

The Mark V 35 watt is nearly a grand less!

manu80

Reaction score
I'll be more direct and say that a 30W for 2500 euros is just crazy. You really are buying a name and a legacy for sure but this is a bit insane...I saw some avengers, decatone etc and all are still expensive as f....
I'm sure that Soldano is the graal for a lot of us but I'l never put that amount of money in a head honestly.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Why would wattage dictate price :lol:

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
Modern amps don't rely on power amp saturation anyway. It's about the bass response and headroom (thus compression). It's not about volume at all.
Exactly. Big iron and big headroom = better transient response on the low end.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
You could build one from a kit?
I just asked this in a forum a week or two ago and supposedly these are the way to go:
http://c3amps.com/SLO Kits.html

definitely cheaper just a bigger PITA because you have to put it together.

I would just pass on the SLO 30 entirely though. Law of diminishing returns my friend. I highly, highly, doubt a SLO 30 or 100 is $2100 better than a used 6505. I actually doubt it sounds even $200 better than a used 6505 with fresh tubes. At least for high gain tones.

lot's of doubt. very little facts.

Latest posts