Politics & Current Events Closed Indefinitely

• Thread starter Alex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of sensitive, butt hurt, lame losers.

I've always hated the way it works - this select group has ruined it for all. If you suck at debating like I do, take the L like an adult, and carry on.

That was one of my favorite subs to read, 99% of the left of center viewpoints I get from real people are from here. I almost always disagree with them, but people like @TheBlackBard , @StevenC , @Drew and @narad , and others, have all posted things that have actually made me go back, do my research, and truly think about topics I hadn't thought of in that regard before. Even though I didn't agree with them, they made me better. And I think closing that sub is wrong.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I stopped participating in the Biden Admin thread partly because I can't deal with US politics anymore and partly cause it was nothing but silliness... just like an off-topic anything-goes free for all... sometimes humorous to read when I was REALLY bored but so far from anyone actually discussing anything political for the last maybe 20 or so pages. Props to @Big Dumb Bitch for trying to get it back on track at times but with the @DrewH pitchfork crew, it just dissolved into some weird jr. high flex fest. And fwiw I've never reported anything on SSO so I had no skin in this game whatsoever.

tedtan

Reaction score
I hate to see this as we’ve done really well in the politics and off topic area for years. Sure we get the occasional troublemaker (MetalHex, DrewH, etc.) but we just need to empower the mods to handle things when they do occasionally pop up, especially if Alex isn’t around to do so. Otherwise we lose one of the very few places online to discuss these topics civilly.

For what it’s worth, the only two things I’ve ever reported other than spam were both many years ago. First, someone was talking about raping young children, probably jokingly in context, but that still isn’t something we need to have here. And second, someone posted pics of an actual KKK rally they had attended. That is something else we don’t need. Both posters were banned.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yikes... I don't have much skin in the game since I don't generally like to discuss politics (especially publicly), but I always thought this was a generally very civilized community. I didn't post much, but I did like to read for my own education. I think I'm quite capable of sorting through the few bad apples myself. I tend to agree with the notion that moderators should probably be given a bit more power to intervene (though I have no clue what that would look like, necessarily).

That, and I thought the main complaints were about bots cramming up the place and pushing either bullshit marketing or a 3rd party's political agenda?

Shame to see that section of the forum go. I feel like it might push some users out... :(

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't blame me. Blame your own inflated view of yourselves as always being right, always having the best solution, etc. You couldn't be mature enough to accept others opinions and actually engage in discussion. You can't have discussion when the core long term members all agree with each other and then descend upon and attack any other members who don't share those exact points of view. It was pure unhealthy tribalism versus a place to actually debate. I haven't contacted Alex or reported anything in months. So, probably in attempt to get rid of me, you reported your own section of the forum right into extinction. Poetic justice for the bullies of this forum.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Don't blame me. Blame your own inflated view of yourselves as always being right, always having the best solution, etc. You couldn't be mature enough to accept others opinions and actually engage in discussion. You can't have discussion when the core long term members all agree with each other and then descend upon and attack any other members who don't share those exact points of view. It was pure unhealthy tribalism versus a place to actually debate. I haven't contacted Alex or reported anything in months. So, probably in attempt to get rid of me, you reported your own section of the forum right into extinction. Poetic justice for the bullies of this forum.

You weren't discussing politics. You were just trying to convince everyone that you're cool for like 20 pages. I sit here thinking, why do I know DrewH's entire background, education, job history, hobbies? None of this stuff actually relevant to the discussion. Every argument wasn't fact-based, it was Drew-based, and such a thing was never going to be anything resembling a productive discussion.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You weren't discussing politics. You were just trying to convince everyone that you're cool for like 20 pages. I sit here thinking, why do I know DrewH's entire background, education, job history, hobbies? None of this stuff actually relevant to the discussion. Every argument wasn't fact-based, it was Drew-based, and such a thing was never going to be anything resembling a productive discussion.
You weren't letting discussion happen. It's either people agree with you or they are the enemy to be attacked, discredited, etc.

Not discussing this further with you.. You guys did plenty to nuke that part of the forum without my help. Because if it wasn't me or Glades, you would have just piled on the next person with a contrary point of view by hurling the insults, telling them they are stupid, etc.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Reddit vibes.

And before I get called a hypocrite for TGF’s lack of a politics section, we started that forum in 2023, had we started it 10 years ago, we’d probably have a politics forum. What I think made it great here was that there was already an established ground of ‘We actually discuss politics and don’t sling mud’ that we felt would be impossible in 2023 and most likely impossible for the next few years.

It’s a bummer that “moderation” is handled in a “Everyone loses out” way instead of just handling the shitheads.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
You weren't letting discussion happen. It's either people agree with you or they are the enemy to be attacked, discredited, etc.

Not discussing this further with you.. You guys did plenty to nuke that part of the forum without my help. Because if it wasn't me or Glades, you would have just piled on the next person with a contrary point of view by hurling the insults, telling them they are stupid, etc.
It lasted 20 years before you started posting.

Anyway, this is incredibly weak from @Alex. Give the mods power to deal with this stuff and the forum runs itself.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reddit vibes.

And before I get called a hypocrite for TGF’s lack of a politics section, we started that forum in 2023, had we started it 10 years ago, we’d probably have a politics forum. What I think made it great here was that there was already an established ground of ‘We actually discuss politics and don’t sling mud’ that we felt would be impossible in 2023 and most likely impossible for the next few years.

It’s a bummer that “moderation” is handled in a “Everyone loses out” way instead of just handling the shitheads.

It literally only descended into name calling because we couldn't ban one guy.

I warned for years that if you couldnt take any action to keep the threads civil, they'd turn into a total unintelligible mess, which is what 2/3rds of the CE thread was ever since one guy got here.

You can close down the P&CE but the cat's out of the bag that hate posts and insults are fair game everywhere on this site. See how long until the top thread in every subforum is a Battle Royal and the site is totally unreadable.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It literally only descended into name calling because we couldn't ban one guy.

I warned for years that if you couldnt take any action to keep the threads civil, they'd turn into a total unintelligible mess, which is what 2/3rds of the CE thread was ever since one guy got here.

You can close down the P&CE but the cat's out of the bag that hate posts and insults are fair game everywhere on this site. See how long until the top thread in every subforum is a Battle Royal and the site is totally unreadable.
And this is precisely why it's good that you don't have the power to ban. Because you lack the ability to be impartial, which is the #1 trait that is required of a good moderator.

I have zero respect for you or the other guy who was actively making the situation worse.

Alex did the right thing. Politics has no place on a forum like this.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And this is precisely why it's good that you don't have the power to ban. Because you lack the ability to be impartial, which is the #1 trait that is required of a good moderator.

I have zero respect for you or the other guy who was actively making the situation worse.

Alex did the right thing. Politics has no place on a forum like this.
Its a two way street. Those "guys making the situation worse" also could've been handled if this site had any moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.