Polychrome DSP new plugin from McRocklin

• Thread starter vertibration
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I always enjoy some quality marketing bullshit:

I replaced over $3000 of plugins (and a massively complicated software rack) with a single plugin, PolyChrome DSP McRocklin Suite.”— McRocklin

Translation: "I stopped using the NeuralDSP stuff I get for free worth $3000 to the average guy once I got my new plugin."

"Unnamed competitor: 1.5ms
PolychromeDSP: 0.045ms"
This is a bold one. Let me try! :idea:

Our pizza: Good
Some other place's pizza: Bad

Time to open my own pizza chain. Brb!

Last edited:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I always enjoy some quality marketing bullshit.

"Unnamed competitor: 1.5ms
PolychromeDSP: 0.045ms"

Let me try! :idea:

Our pizza: Good
Some other place's pizza: Bad

That's a ridiculous bold claim considering latency has to do with your hardware setup. What interface you are using, type of connection, and even CPU power.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vertibration

Reaction score
I knew this plugin was BS the second I saw it. The UI is rough man, cant tell what a damn thing does. Presets are drowned in FX. If I were in his shoes, and someone helped me make a plugin, this would not be it.

vertibration

Reaction score
I always enjoy some quality marketing bullshit:

Translation: "I stopped using the NeuralDSP stuff I get for free worth $3000 to the average guy once I got my new plugin."

This is a bold one. Let me try! :idea:

LMAO

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
after buying archetype petrucci and being completely unsatisfied, all in one plugin sims are something I avoid. fractal or real amp with reactive load and irs here all the way. it seems every amp plugin I own relies on heavy gating to mask the trash and make it "useable". take the gate off and its all artifacts and noise. then it needs tons of delay and verb to make it sound good. they all seem like this. at least the ones i have

vertibration

Reaction score
after buying archetype petrucci and being completely unsatisfied, all in one plugin sims are something I avoid. fractal or real amp with reactive load and irs here all the way. it seems every amp plugin I own relies on heavy gating to mask the trash and make it "useable". take the gate off and its all artifacts and noise. then it needs tons of delay and verb to make it sound good. they all seem like this. at least the ones i have
I get what your sayin. I like Helix, and the Fortin amp sims. However, I definitely agree. All in one plugins can be played out. I also think amp capture tech is moving a long nicely, and thats a solid option with Tonex, NAM, GuitarML, Tonehub, and THU Rig

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The UI is rough man, cant tell what a damn thing does. Presets are drowned in FX.

Ok, I just tested hit. This review is spot-on.

Horrid interface. Distortion sounds are clanky. I feel like I have no control over my playing, kinda like an old modeller where everything was turned to 11.

Nope.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Ok, I just tested hit. This review is spot-on.

Horrid interface. Distortion sounds are clanky. I feel like I have no control over my playing, kinda like an old modeller where everything was turned to 11.

Nope.
Yeah but the 3D graphics are dope AF.

(But seriously, they are)

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Noise and artifacts haven't been a problem with plugins unless I'm hitting them too hard on the way in, but I haven't actually bought an NDSP plugins even after demoing everything because once the volume is turned down to match Helix Native, all the "magic" of NDSP tones goes away and I can get 99.9% of the tones from Helix Native.

Sacha

Reaction score
Market is pretty saturated and the bar is pretty high; not hearing anything here to make this stand out enough to make me bother trying it tbh

Matt08642

Reaction score
Noise and artifacts haven't been a problem with plugins unless I'm hitting them too hard on the way in, but I haven't actually bought an NDSP plugins even after demoing everything because once the volume is turned down to match Helix Native, all the "magic" of NDSP tones goes away and I can get 99.9% of the tones from Helix Native.

Honestly if I plug my POD X3 output in to my interface and use some good IRs in my DAW, it's like 99% of the way to most modern stuff for basic high gain sounds.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
No clutter either! No pedals, no cabs, no FX that you will never use, no problem 😎😎

If a version of the Axe-Fx was releasead with the TSE layout (a 5150 sim, a tubescreamer, basic FX and an EQ) for 1000$ I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes. I mean, isn't that the only things on it everyone uses anyway? :lol:

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel like this about channel strip emulations or most all in one plugins, generally. They usually grab the bare minimum aspect of a piece of hardware inside of a plugin, trying to take out of every apple that falls out of a tree but never finishing a single one.

By trying to be everything all at once, it ends up being less effective after months of use and you just realize it's widely mediocre compared to separating single plugins in your bus or mixer insert that have one personality.

Trying to accomodate everything under the crammed hood but never really focusing on the quality of the output from plugins that focus soley on one to a few detailed and solid tones that a hardware unit really accellarates at.

Not to mention it's usually lighter on cpu if I don't pull out a channel strip that has a several types of compression types, several EQ's and probably some other utility/FX plugins lodged in there with options galore as well. In addition to other plugs you have to add before or after the channel strip anyways. I no longer saw a point in using them.

Sure, you could totally get away with getting in the general ball park with them but getting the full cigar will take longer to accomplish and you will probably need aid of other plugins afterwards anyways.

For the record, I did get good results with such plugins at first. It was only after comparing the tone with single instanced plugins and that I also realized they were more efficient, accurate and quicker take your time off this buss and onto the next one.

At least for me, don't let that stop you from using them and getting kickass results from them regardless of what I said. I don't actually know shit about fuck because some full roundhouses are terrific, like Amplitube, for example. I guess IR's help cut down on cpu letting the plug focus on code underneath and amp sims have less going on than channel strips even if both utilize IR's to shape tone.

Last edited: