Post Your GAS

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
0149500581_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Related but I really want a fender shortscale but nothing about them are really conducive to the styles of music I like or want to play

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
The Parker is definitely not the most versatile high-end 7. One of the least versatile guitars IMO.

Why do you say that? I have one and the tonal options are great for me.

Kaff

Reaction score
2nd that. The super versatile pickup options and a floating trem with tension adjustment which you can limit or block completely with a built in mechanism sound pretty versatile..

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
2nd that. The super versatile pickup options and a floating trem with tension adjustment which you can limit or block completely with a built in mechanism sound pretty versatile..

mine has a piezo and coil split.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man I've swore by Les Pauls and Singlecuts lately... But I wouldn't hate an ESP/LTD Phoenix at all.

Yeah, I thought the appeal of Parkers were the innovative construction techniques and how crazy versatile they can be. :shrug:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

Tonally they're a bit thin-sounding, and pickup options are a pain. I mean, what's a less versatile guitar that still has 2 pickups? If I had an LP or something I could always swap in some HB-sized P-90s. If I had a strat I could put an HB in the bridge or stacked HBs in the other positions, and I have a pickguard so swapping through all those configurations is a super simple install.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Tonally they're a bit thin-sounding, and pickup options are a pain. I mean, what's a less versatile guitar that still has 2 pickups? If I had an LP or something I could always swap in some HB-sized P-90s. If I had a strat I could put an HB in the bridge or stacked HBs in the other positions, and I have a pickguard so swapping through all those configurations is a super simple install.

I'm not sure if I agree with thin-sounding...as far as tonal options..one of my parkers is this:

5545-desktop.jpg

It has pizeo, two single coils (a lipstick for cryin' out loud), every possible switching combo, and I sometimes put a hot rails in the bridge. This guitar has seen country, metal, rock, and a symphony-rock gig.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Tonally they're a bit thin-sounding, and pickup options are a pain. I mean, what's a less versatile guitar that still has 2 pickups?

like the vast majority of the market is 2 humbucker guitars. Or are you counting "versatile" to the ability to sound like a strat?

with 2 humbcuker, split coil, and piezzo, the only thing the guitar is missing is a middle coil for the in-between positions of a Strat. If you realy want that sound, then get a start for that recording then

narad

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I agree with thin-sounding...as far as tonal options..one of my parkers is this:

5545-desktop.jpg

It has pizeo, two single coils (a lipstick for cryin' out loud), every possible switching combo, and I sometimes put a hot rails in the bridge. This guitar has seen country, metal, rock, and a symphony-rock gig.

Ha, yea, sure I can see that being in the right direction (and I find teles are just immensely versatile guitars), but as far as I know the 7-string parkers are all H/H, with the usual Parker mountings.

like the vast majority of the market is 2 humbucker guitars. Or are you counting "versatile" to the ability to sound like a strat?

with 2 humbcuker, split coil, and piezzo, the only thing the guitar is missing is a middle coil for the in-between positions of a Strat. If you realy want that sound, then get a start for that recording then

I'll put it this way. Out of the like 18 guitars I own, my Parker Fly (and every Parker I've ever played -- which aren't any of the weird tele sort of things but all H/H fly/maxxfly) is the least versatile sounding guitar I own, with the exception of a couple things with just crazy hot pickups in there. I really need to be in "that mood" to grab the fly.

Honestly the splits on stock fly/maxxfly guitars aren't very good IMO, and like piezo is good if you're Petrucci or doing some prayer worship thing where you need to switch to jangly/pseudo-acoustic sound, but generally-speaking I've found that to be very gimmicky. I leave it off when playing clean 90% of the time. It doesn't do a great metal tone...it doesn't do a great classic rock tone...it doesn't do a very full-bodied clean sound. It does its own thing. StevenC loves the thing so I'm not saying it's a bad guitar, it's just that versatile would be one of the very last words I would use to describe it.

Let's say my Hartung/Huber guitars, both can do respectable distorted PAF metal, nail classic rock, have really nice cleans (and Haussel/Gerold pickups with good splits, that I don't even know if you could get for the Parker mounts because they're smaller shops). Or let's compare to guitars I don't own but would describe as versatile -- PRS 408. Great splits and very versatile electronics. I can listen to clips and not be sure if I'm listening to an LP or a strat, to say nothing of the gamut in between.

So yea, that's what I mean - the only guitars of mine I would think could be less versatile is like something with EMG 81/85 kind of thing where it's a tool for a specific job.

A-Branger

Reaction score
are the humbuckers smaller on the Parkers? in order to not be able to re-place them for something more versatile?

speaking off, are the pickups rear mounted? or jsut dont have any ears?. If its so, then yeah having the "wrong" set of pickups and the lack of a chance for you to upgrade them would not make it versatile liek you say

narad

Reaction score
are the humbuckers smaller on the Parkers? in order to not be able to re-place them for something more versatile?

speaking off, are the pickups rear mounted? or jsut dont have any ears?. If its so, then yeah having the "wrong" set of pickups and the lack of a chance for you to upgrade them would not make it versatile liek you say

There's no ears -- two of the pickup "poles" aren't really poles but mounting screws that go down through the baseplate. And it's different whether it came with DiMarzios or SDs. Like it's not a dealbreaker - if you believe the fly is the best guitar in the world and you're willing to throw a bunch of money at it, I'm sure you can get some alternate pickups in there, but yea, I'm going to factor in the time/effort/options in modifying what is a simple change on other guitars.

I mean, Parker's stance was basically "Send the guitar to us and we'll change the pickups" and now they're basically defunct so that's not a great situation to be in. Vs. like a strat where you can go to like EMG and buy some HB loaded pickguard all wired up or etc. basicalyl be ~10 screws away from having a totally different sound. Of course mostly here I mean versatility without modding -- I've never heard a Fly get a convincing range of tones and if that's to blame on the pickups, you're also not going to have a fun time getting new ones to address that issue.

A-Branger

Reaction score
yeah problem seems to be the pickups then, and with the lack of an option to change them you are kinda stuck with it.

what a weird design choice really. But again these are the same guys who decided to eliminate fret tangs and just glue them in into a plain fretboard, making the job of a tech much more fun

narad

Reaction score
yeah problem seems to be the pickups then, and with the lack of an option to change them you are kinda stuck with it.

what a weird design choice really. But again these are the same guys who decided to eliminate fret tangs and just glue them in into a plain fretboard, making the job of a tech much more fun

And the same people who also paint over the sides of the nut so you can't change it without causing some sort of finish damage.

But honestly, even apart from that it's just not a versatile guitar. In some hypothetical gig night where you play songs from 50s-2017, a good PRS will get you doing a very respectable take on a lot of those tones. The Fly would probably do passable 70s/80s tones, but I feel probably not as good as a charvel / general superstrat with a hot PAF bridge. If it were just the fact that it has piezo, a JP7 would still do better metal tones, and just sounds a bit more like a typical strat/LP type of thing.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
And the same people who also paint over the sides of the nut so you can't change it without causing some sort of finish damage.

But honestly, even apart from that it's just not a versatile guitar. In some hypothetical gig night where you play songs from 50s-2017, a good PRS will get you doing a very respectable take on a lot of those tones. The Fly would probably do passable 70s/80s tones, but I feel probably not as good as a charvel / general superstrat with a hot PAF bridge. If it were just the fact that it has piezo, a JP7 would still do better metal tones, and just sounds a bit more like a typical strat/LP type of thing.

Prs does this too with some of their guitars..the 408,513, those narrow fields and the wired rounded off humbuckers. I think if you know what you are getting into it's ok. Doesn't really appeal to me though...I need to know that they can be modded.

That being said I think a lot of smaller wonders would gladly rewind the Parker pickups into anything you wanted.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

2 splittable humbuckers, piezo, and like 19 switches... :yesway:

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll put it this way. Out of the like 18 guitars I own, my Parker Fly (and every Parker I've ever played -- which aren't any of the weird tele sort of things but all H/H fly/maxxfly) is the least versatile sounding guitar I own, with the exception of a couple things with just crazy hot pickups in there. I really need to be in "that mood" to grab the fly.

I can understand that. I guess my argument is about parker guitars in general and not just the fly. But I do think the fly is versatile, it can be a singing lead metal guitar or a pretty twangy single coil guitar. We may just have to agree to disagree here