Post Your GAS

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, he dropped its price a bit finally. I would do it, but I have 3 8 string builds going atm. I don't neeeeed this, but I want it
Buy and sell when the other 3 are done cooking? Is there any spec on it you can justify buying it to try?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
i
wxb8cbjiwiljnq73ykld.jpg

oh61bnggb9wwzjbxytxe.jpg
it's scientifically proven that the best PRSes are green

Moongrum

Reaction score
Anyone know why carbon fiber didn't catch on as a neck material? Man-made materials seem to be kind of in vogue now with richlite, arium, etc. but from what I've read of carbon fiber, it doesn't have any of the downsides of temperature instability that was pointed out in that other aristitties thread. Is it prohibitively expensive? Are the sonic properties that bad?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Fascinating exchange on the web:
View attachment 144480

The man himself Rich Lasner chimes in:
View attachment 144484

Everyone asking about the neck heel which is weird:
View attachment 144483

Original catalogue pic:
View attachment 144482

Fascinating exchange on the web:
View attachment 144480

The man himself Rich Lasner chimes in:
View attachment 144484

Everyone asking about the neck heel which is weird:
View attachment 144483

Original catalogue pic:
View attachment 144482

I know the last name is off by a letter, but in reading that exchange, what popped into my mind was how funny it is that Freddy Krueger is so interested in a (different shade of) plaid guitar.

On a serious note, I've always been in love with that guitar. It looks like a wrapped Christmas gift.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I know the last name is off by a letter, but in reading that exchange, what popped into my mind was how funny it is that Freddy Krueger is so interested in a (different shade of) plaid guitar.

On a serious note, I've always been in love with that guitar. It looks like a wrapped Christmas gift.
Yeah I always thought it was a waterslide transfer.

Freddy Krueger is me and i got endlessly teased my whole life because of it....🗡️🗡️

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Anyone know why carbon fiber didn't catch on as a neck material? Man-made materials seem to be kind of in vogue now with richlite, arium, etc. but from what I've read of carbon fiber, it doesn't have any of the downsides of temperature instability that was pointed out in that other aristitties thread. Is it prohibitively expensive? Are the sonic properties that bad?
well it used to be really expensive which was why parkers were just a carbon fibre skin.

Toyota invented the carbon braider for the Lexus LFA so they could build the engine parts entirely of carbon but the machines are millions of dollars and hiring them needs a minimum volume.

Fretjobs on CF are difficult due to the surface prep that is required and curing. repairs are also difficult.

TL:DR unit production and flexibility is better than ever, high cost to start up and high cost to service

Moongrum

Reaction score
well it used to be really expensive which was why parkers were just a carbon fibre skin.

Toyota invented the carbon braider for the Lexus LFA so they could build the engine parts entirely of carbon but the machines are millions of dollars and hiring them needs a minimum volume.

Fretjobs on CF are difficult due to the surface prep that is required and curing. repairs are also difficult.

TL:DR unit production and flexibility is better than ever, high cost to start up and high cost to service
I hadn't even thought of fretjobs 😱

You say Toyota/Lexus uses braiders, is that this kind of design/texture?
Capture.PNG

I noticed modulus' necks look more like flakes:
zzz.PNG

Maybe this is a cheaper way of making a carbon fiber product and doesn't require fancy machines?
Also, I noticed Modulus is called Modulus Graphite, but they say they're using carbon fiber. Not sure if that means anything as far as the materials they use.🤔

Last edited:

Thesius

Reaction score

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I hadn't even thought of fretjobs 😱

You say Toyota/Lexus uses braiders, is that this kind of design/texture?
View attachment 144485

I noticed modulus' necks look more like flakes:
View attachment 144486

Maybe this is a cheaper way of making a carbon fiber product and doesn't require fancy machines?
Also, I noticed Modulus is called Modulus Graphite, but they say they're using carbon fiber. Not sure if that means anything as far as the materials they use.🤔
I suspect this is actually majority graphite so is a mineral (flakes/splinters) vs Carbon fibre (single continuous fibres in a lattice) so less strong, less resistant to temperature and less expensive.