Post Your GAS

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone own or played one of the Northlane Josh Jackson 7s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Those Trivium dude Epiphones seem very compelling. Knowing how much of a PITA gloss black guitars can be I'd opt for the white, but I think the black looks slightly better.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Those Trivium dude Epiphones seem very compelling. Knowing how much of a PITA gloss black guitars can be I'd opt for the white, but I think the black looks slightly better.
I agree. Les Paul 7 string headstocks still throw me off though. I’d have to go 6.

Moongrum

Reaction score
What's the deal with Gibson bursts? Other than cherry/clown, they almost nearly always look great imo. Compared to other manufacturers they often use figured maple that isn't really that figured, symmetrical, or bookmatched that well, but they look awesome. Do they have a secret sauce for their finishes or something? Or is it just me putting bursts on a pedestal because of the rawk 'n roll history?
Anyone else feel this way about their finishes?

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What's the deal with Gibson bursts? Other than cherry/clown, they almost nearly always look great imo. Compared to other manufacturers they often use figured maple that isn't really that figured, symmetrical, or bookmatched that well, but they look awesome. Do they have a secret sauce for their finishes or something? Or is it just me putting bursts on a pedestal because of the rawk 'n roll history?
Part of it is probably just that they’ve been doing bursts longer than anyone else, so they’ve got people on staff who’ve been applying these finishes for decades and have lots of documentation and protocols for that process.

Color mixing and application ratios, purposeful aging techniques on the stains (with the reissue guitars), hell even how the tops are carved could all make a difference on how they finish out. It’s fascinating stuff for sure though, they really are a thing of beauty.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I think a big part of it is how they match up to expectation. If I visualise an LP with a figured top, it's a very subtly figured top that "shimmers" as the angle / light changes, with either the whole top having a light finish or the centre of the burst being very light. If I visualise most other brands (e.g. PRS, Ibanez J Custom etc.), by default I have a mental image of a much darker stain.

Because Gibson burst finishes tend to be very light in the middle, dark staining of the "flames" isn't required in order for the figuring to be appreciated, so the overall effect is relatively subtle. Because the overall effect is more subtle, the contrast between two poorly book-matched halves is also relatively subtle.

If the finish colour is darker (e.g. a deep blue), the top ideally needs to be stained with black / extremely dark blue and then sanded back (such that the "flames" are darkened but the rest of the top isn't), then the finish is applied over this. The end result is that the figuring is dark and prominent (i.e. "pops"). Mediocre book-matching will therefore result in a more obviously noticeable contrast. If the top flip-flops, the contrast between the figured half and (seemingly) unfigured half will be huge from the worst angles.
These finishes can look fantastic when well-executed, but require "better" tops and can never appear subtle in the same way they could with a lighter finish (the "flames" are too dark for that).

Moongrum

Reaction score
I think a big part of it is how they match up to expectation. If I visualise an LP with a figured top, it's a very subtly figured top that "shimmers" as the angle / light changes, with either the whole top having a light finish or the centre of the burst being very light. If I visualise most other brands (e.g. PRS, Ibanez J Custom etc.), by default I have a mental image of a much darker stain.

Because Gibson burst finishes tend to be very light in the middle, dark staining of the "flames" isn't required in order for the figuring to be appreciated, so the overall effect is relatively subtle. Because the overall effect is more subtle, the contrast between two poorly book-matched halves is also relatively subtle.

If the finish colour is darker (e.g. a deep blue), the top ideally needs to be stained with black / extremely dark blue and then sanded back (such that the "flames" are darkened but the rest of the top isn't), then the finish is applied over this. The end result is that the figuring is dark and prominent (i.e. "pops"). Mediocre book-matching will therefore result in a more obviously noticeable contrast. If the top flip-flops, the contrast between the figured half and (seemingly) unfigured half will be huge from the worst angles.
These finishes can look fantastic when well-executed, but require "better" tops and can never appear subtle in the same way they could with a lighter finish (the "flames" are too dark for that).
This all makes a lot of sense actually. I much prefer Gibson's figuring/finishes over PRS, and I think you explained why quite well and it has to do with the more subdued finishes/figuring Gibson has. PRS are great looking, but man those tops are severe, their flamed has very defined striping, which is probably in due part to the finishing you mentioned of layering stains with sanding.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
This all makes a lot of sense actually. I much prefer Gibson's figuring/finishes over PRS, and I think you explained why quite well and it has to do with the more subdued finishes/figuring Gibson has. PRS are great looking, but man those tops are severe, their flamed has very defined striping, which is probably in due part to the finishing you mentioned of layering stains with sanding.
I love the unsubtle flamed maple top on my 'Sodalite' (dark blue) J. Custom RG8520. It has "tiger stripes" that really pop.
I was able to choose mine from detailed photos, rather than ordering based on a stock image. I would go so far as to say I'd be disappointed with the figuring on most RG8520s & RG8570s from the same era as mine, so I'd be wary of ordering one online from one of the big retailers (got mine from Ibanez Rules!!).
The flamed maple top on my 'Sapphire' RGA321F is barely visible in most lighting (I suspect due to the dark staining step being skipped), so it looks like a regular blue burst finish at first glance. The guitar looks nice, and I got it for a very fair price on the used market, but I would feel misled if I'd paid the going rate for a brand new Prestige based on the stock images for this model.

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I would go so far as to say I'd be disappointed with the figuring on most RG8520s & RG8570s from the same era as mine

I completely agree with this. I specifically chose my 8527Z, and boy have I seen some absolute shite in regard to the tops they used on other examples from the same exact model. There are tons with bookmatching that looks downright pathetic.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Don't go to the Andertons second hand site.
There is a RGIR28 fot 450£. It is calling my name. Will go fine with my IR20FE.
There is a Jackson B8 if you are interested.

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I need to fill a void in my life.

stand.jpg

And I'm thinking I'm missing a vintage sounding guitar in my arsenal. So I'm looking at this.

Spitfire.Purple%20Haze%20(PURH).01.png

I'll probably swap the Shecter brand "FilterTrons" for the real thing.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Yessir, ask away

Hey! Just wondering how you like it and if it still gets played? I’m looking to buy a medium price tier 7 that’s different than my Schecter Loomis and Mayones Regius. I love Strats and the Jackson has the perfect aesthetic for me. Just wondering how it sounds and plays.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey! Just wondering how you like it and if it still gets played? I’m looking to buy a medium price tier 7 that’s different than my Schecter Loomis and Mayones Regius. I love Strats and the Jackson has the perfect aesthetic for me. Just wondering how it sounds and plays.
sounds mega, i play it loads. the quality is also unreal and its got one of the best feeling necks i’ve ever felt. it’s also on par with one of josh’s guitars i own from the usa custom shop if that’s a good comparison.