Pre CBS fender vs 70s Gibson

• Thread starter Stooge1996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
Just wanting to hear others opinions on this potential deal I’ve been offered. I’ve been looking to trade my 79 Les Paul Custom Anniversary 25/50. My les Paul is in an ok condition and is completely original minus the pickups.

I’ve had someone reach out with what looks like a fairly decent condition 1964 fender mustang. Owner thinks the old case with it is original but I can’t determine that and he’s also offered to kick in $1100 with his guitar. The used market for mustangs in Australia seem to be all over the place. Anywhere from $1800-$4500.

Anyone think this a good / bad deal? I’m not totally in love with the Gibson I just don’t want to go backwards value wise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
Mustangs belong back on the bottom shelves of pawn shops where the grunge junkies who popularized them first found them

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Mustangs belong back on the bottom shelves of pawn shops where the grunge junkies who popularized them first found them
Yeah. As a player's guitar, I'd keep the Paul. And even then those still seem to be worth a pretty damn penny.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Mustang was literally designed for little kids. It's somewhat collectable, but the Les Paul is more collectable, more playable, and just all around a more desirable instrument.

I hope that helps.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
The Mustang was literally designed for little kids. It's somewhat collectable, but the Les Paul is more collectable, more playable, and just all around a more desirable instrument.

I hope that helps.
Great insight! Definitely given me something to think more on in that regard

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pre-CBS Fender stuff is WAAAAYYY overrated. The top tier Strats and Teles were great, but the "student" level stuff was typically fairly junky and only brings in money because of the time period it was offered.

Stooge1996

Reaction score
Pre-CBS Fender stuff is WAAAAYYY overrated. The top tier Strats and Teles were great, but the "student" level stuff was typically fairly junky and only brings in money because of the time period it was offered.

thanks for that info. I was worried that many of the listings for mustangs online were inflated by potential hype but legit had to post here to get some more insight

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thanks for that info. I was worried that many of the listings for mustangs online were inflated by potential hype but legit had to post here to get some more insight

Yeah, a lot of the clout of Mustangs comes from the time period they were made and who later played them, not necessarily because they were good guitars.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I'm a Fender homer but am I the only one who always thought Mustangs look like a Sears Catalog offering for a child interested in a musical instrument?
udclliworytb49vfsyen.jpg

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is not as much magic in every Pre CBS like people make it out to be. Especially on what was low end then.

I have hands on worked on not a lot but I am sure 20 Pre CBS fenders. They fit into a few categories. One being 'beaten and refretted three times' which does not add up to the precieved desirability of relic'd. There is the 'nice guitar, but nothing special other than the rarity' and the last one a virgin that kept her innocence in a case. Of those 20,there were two. I intimately remember both. One of those had hardly looked played a 1954 tele. Original frets few marks, but DANGGG it was a religious experience. The other was one of the first 10 BBenders which was more recent. It just had mojo. And it played and sounded great. I worked on all of them under a late master luthier.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
There's a certain charm to a Mustang, I had one in my teens. Kept it for about 5 years before I sold it and bought an RG instead. But, they aren't the most comfortable to play. The bridge design is horrendous, tuning stability is shit. So just keep all that in mind. The shorter scale is fun, and the tone is different. Not bad, but just different. If you like thick strings, you can go pretty heavy on these because the scale. Nowadays I prefer a Jaguar or better yet a Jazzmaster over the Moosetang.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Or sell your Gibson and order a custom shop Fender of choice. I don’t know the Aussie market but LP customs seemed to hot right now. Again, I know what a CS fender costs here in the states but not in Kangeroo Bucks

Adieu

Reaction score
Afaik CITES got an instrument exemption, so global market is an option too now?

jl-austin

Reaction score
My dad had a 50's or 60's era duo-sonic II (similar to a mustang), and that thing was crap. If I wanted a Mustang, I would build one from Warmoth.