Prometheus (Ridley Scott returns to the Alien franchise)

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Overtone

Reaction score
I just hope there's a director's cut or something. I don't have any problem with knowing little about some things and having to guess, only that other things seemed inconsistent.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I just hope there's a director's cut or something. I don't have any problem with knowing little about some things and having to guess, only that other things seemed inconsistent.

Still not going to solve issues like them taking their helmets off after 10 seconds on an alien planet and the decision to have someone undergo a Caesarean then make her free to run around instead of being utterly crippled.

But perhaps it'll shed light on some other things, which I guess could be cool.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Still not going to solve issues like them taking their helmets off after 10 seconds on an alien planet and the decision to have someone undergo a Caesarean then make her free to run around instead of being utterly crippled.

But perhaps it'll shed light on some other things, which I guess could be cool.

Yep, fuck that. Lost was bad enough Mr. Lindelof.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Great read! I love how he says that the way his script was bracketed into certain outcomes was an "interesteing challenge". I admire people with tact :lol:

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
I didn't like the movie.

Thought it was gross and overall unappealing. The plot sucked too. That's just my opinion though.

Also, the fuck was with the first scene with that white dude who offed himself?

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got this movie on blu-ray and was slightly disappointed that it reverted to cliche horror/monster movie stuff, and not a venture into why the engineers created man. Sure that question is asked, and answered: "Because they could", but that just felt like a cop out in order to just make the overall focus of the movie horror.

The biggest issue in my mind is how Scott sort of tried his hand at mass ambiguity a la 2001, but put it in a movie that was based on finding answers, not just a character driven, well constructed story.

I can only hope Scott manages to answer the questions he claimed would be answered in Prometheus with Prometheus 2. :rolleyes:

I must say that if viewed in the same vein as Alien, it's a pretty cool movie, but again the fact that it was based around origins and answers and such, make it fall flat.

And it WAS visually interesting and the world it creates is supremely interesting. Aaaaaand I have a total man-crush on both Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. :wub:

ST3MOCON

Reaction score
I didn't like the movie.

Thought it was gross and overall unappealing. The plot sucked too. That's just my opinion though.

Also, the fuck was with the first scene with that white dude who offed himself
?

This is exactly why people didnt like the movie. They cant understand anything without being told!

The engineer who "offed" himself was sacrificing himself to seed the planet with life. He was being watched by his creator, the real "god". Another race of alien superior to himself.

The people who dont like this movie truly dont understand it. Its so amazing that a lot of people cant put simple pieces of information together themselves. The movie is great. The whole movie is about creation.

Let me break this down simple.

God (unknown alien race) - Angels (the engineers) - Man
SAME AS
Reptilians - Greys - Humans

Alien mythos is very similar to biblical mythos

Now in the movie we have become gods by creating Artificial Intelligence (David)

Now we go to heaven and meet our creator.

We the audience understand about as much of what is going on as the characters in the movie. That is all.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
In case anyone missed it, here's some of my sentiments in comedy form (well, they're pretty funny issues to begin with):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

The "creation" concept is a big DUH moment, and the average viewer gets that. But the execution was simply not on par with the rest of the production. You talk about people not being able to put together information, but there's so much information in this movie that DOESN'T go together that you also say "oh well you just don't understand it." That's what makes it a bust for me: If you tell a good joke that half the room gets, and half the room has to make shit up about to laugh at, was it a good joke? And, don't insult people's intelligence just because they have a different opinion than you, it's a bit immature IMO. On the flip side of that coin, it could be said that people who did like Prometheus don't have a good grasp for plot development or have an indominable hard-on for Ridley Scott. All just an opinion on my part of course. Either way, glad you thought it was nice, I do like the overall concept but would have went another way with it. Lets hope P2 is more well thought-out, if they make all this empty space work out awesomely I'll welcomely feel pretty dumb.

ST3MOCON

Reaction score
I really thought the execution of the creation theme was fine. you say it was a "DUH" moment yet so many people always ask the same question at the beginning. Every time i see the same complaints about not understanding the movie so they didn't like it or there wasn't an alien in the movie so it sucked. I have found that people don't like it for simply 1 or 2 reasons. They were expecting an Alien movie or they really couldn't put the information together themselves. People put alien on such a high pedal stool. Its a good movie but it also left so many unanswered questions. Also i didn't insult someones opinion for not liking it. What was funny was the comment and how he didn't even catch what was happening in the beginning. Your analogy of a joke and people not getting it also doesnt make sense. For one people need to understand a joke to make it funny. for a movie or a book there can be different interpretations for a lot going on. I understand certain criticisms and i understand if someone genuinely doesn't like it, but this is a movie people were going to love and hate to begin with. Its such a monument to tackle and create the story for. I can tell you definitely have an interest for this and was disappointed. I was very scared that i would be disappointed too, but i loved it. Im happy they left room for discussion maybe there is so much info they didnt want to put it all in and for a sequel regret something they said?

I also havnt made anything up about my understanding of this movie. Its stuff i picked up on and Ridley backed up in interviews like the real "god" not the engineers.

the reptilian grey human thing is just a parallel. Anyways people loved it and people hated it. No one needs to make up anything to understand it.

Murmel

Reaction score
Watched it again last weekend.

I really don't get why Noomi gets so much praise, I think her acting is just downright awful at times.
And it really rustles my jimmies that I know exactly how she sounds when speaking Swedish, and there she is, speaking her fake British English. I guess her accent is pretty convincing, but just knowing that she's Swedish fucks me up.

I think she was good in the original Swedish Stieg Larsson trilogy though.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
This is exactly why people didnt like the movie. They cant understand anything without being told!

The engineer who "offed" himself was sacrificing himself to seed the planet with life. He was being watched by his creator, the real "god". Another race of alien superior to himself.

The people who dont like this movie truly dont understand it. Its so amazing that a lot of people cant put simple pieces of information together themselves. The movie is great. The whole movie is about creation.

Let me break this down simple.

God (unknown alien race) - Angels (the engineers) - Man
SAME AS
Reptilians - Greys - Humans

Alien mythos is very similar to biblical mythos

Now in the movie we have become gods by creating Artificial Intelligence (David)

Now we go to heaven and meet our creator.

We the audience understand about as much of what is going on as the characters in the movie. That is all.

All I have to say is, what the FUCK are you babbling on about? Reptilians - Greys - Humans? Are you referring to the movie or in real life? And for the record, I didn't like it not because I didn't understand some of the parts. I didn't like it because I thought it was gross, the effects looked cheezy, and sorry, but it wasn't about creation at all. It was about gross horror. That's all..

And before you start insulting everyone who just simply couldn't completely put pieces together, it's already mentioned that where this movie ends, IS NOT where Alien begins. Alien begins on a completely different planet in a completely different spaceship iirc. So how the fuck is someone like me who has never seen any of the Alien movies supposed to "piece" things together? And how is someone who has never seen the Ridley Scott interviews supposed to know anything about the "Alien Gods" or why that guy killed himself in the first scene? The average view who just goes to the movies and doesn't want to be bothered by having to go on the Internet to find out the true meaning behind the entire movie would be rather disappointed I would think.

Murmel

Reaction score
^
I haven't seen the Alien movies either and I understood fine.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
^
I haven't seen the Alien movies either and I understood fine.

Uhm... congratulations on your wonderful achievement? Just because you understood it, automatically everyone else understands it?

Murmel

Reaction score
I like how you go on about ST3M being an ass when you're even more of an ass yourself :lol: Not gonna bother with this.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
I don't understand how I am being an ass. Your comment was pretty pointless and offered no help at all. Like I said, it's great that you can assume you completely understood the movie, but the fact is, there are thousands of people who ultimately left the theater not knowing wtf just happened.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
In case anyone missed it, here's some of my sentiments in comedy form (well, they're pretty funny issues to begin with):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

The "creation" concept is a big DUH moment, and the average viewer gets that. But the execution was simply not on par with the rest of the production. You talk about people not being able to put together information, but there's so much information in this movie that DOESN'T go together that you also say "oh well you just don't understand it." That's what makes it a bust for me: If you tell a good joke that half the room gets, and half the room has to make shit up about to laugh at, was it a good joke? And, don't insult people's intelligence just because they have a different opinion than you, it's a bit immature IMO. On the flip side of that coin, it could be said that people who did like Prometheus don't have a good grasp for plot development or have an indominable hard-on for Ridley Scott. All just an opinion on my part of course. Either way, glad you thought it was nice, I do like the overall concept but would have went another way with it. Lets hope P2 is more well thought-out, if they make all this empty space work out awesomely I'll welcomely feel pretty dumb.

And right here, he hit the nail right on the head. Just because some people understood it, doesn't mean everybody else will.

Overtone

Reaction score
It takes zero backstory, having seen Alien franchise, or watching interviews, to understand what the first scene is all about. If it's not obvious from the beginning, by the time they analyze the Engineer DNA it should make sense.

On this topic I actually would have liked them to make things MORE mysterious. I like how some stuff is just there without ever being explained, which works for me. Then other stuff is spelled out in such a lumpy and obvious way that it kind of ruins the overall mystique because it makes the movie very inconsistent when it comes to transparency/opacity.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
See.. I just don't understand it. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I still don't see how the first scene represents creation of the humans. When I saw that the Engineers and Humans had the same DNA, I didn't automatically revert back to the first scene where the guy offed himself. All I was thinking at the time was, "Wow, these two species are related, that's awesome!". Not, "Oh their DNA is the same? That must be the reason the guy in the first scene killed himself!"

Sorry.. I'm just not understanding it. Not to mention that once the movie/horror really started to take off, I was not thinking about "creation" and where it was eventually going to wind up in the movie, I was busy trying to keep up with all the shit going down. The two guys dying in the cave in the most horrible ways imaginable, that douchebag robot, the guy who first got infected by the ooze, etc... I had virtually no time to really grasp any hint of creation, if there even was one. I was too focused on the horror aspect of the movie. And to be honest, I think that's probably what Ridley Scott was hoping for.. right? I mean... overall, it WAS a horror movie right? Not a strictly science fiction movie discussing and unveiling the creation of the human species.