Proper gauges for C# Standard Tunning

Reaction score
So, I didn't know where to post this and I've posted about the problems with having over double double the action I'd like on my guitar already, so I'm gonna test out new strings to see if it helps. I'm currently using the Elixir Heavy set, .012, .016, .024w, .032, .042, .052, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for C# Standard string gauges for a Floyd Rose guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'proper gauge for _____ tuning'. You can find people using 8-38 gauge, as well as 9-42, 9-46, 10-46, 11-...... and so on just for E standard tuning--and that's not even taking into account those who use custom gauges. It's all based on personal preference. If you're having issues with action on your FR that's because you need to set it up properly; once properly set up for the tuning and string gauge you then set your desired action in the process.

Stooly

Reaction score
I like using

D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound, Medium/Blues-Jazz Rock, 11-49 for my band that tunes to C# standard. I tried different sets and that was the sweet spot.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
This works for me on C Standard, and I like strings a little on the loose side, so tuning up a half step would be pretty good.

PL011
PL015
NW022
NW030
NW042
NW056

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I use the D'addario 10-52 light top heavy bottom set for Drop C and C# on my guitars and feel that it's perfect. I'm not sure if you dislike your current 12-52 set becuase it's too loose but I have most of my guitars set up with them. It's definitely a little tighter on my shorter scale PRS's but still great.