ProTone Bulb Attack OD (Smaller, more affordable Bulb Deluxe OD)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I like the idea of a "budget" Bulb OD, but $170 is still a bit more than I'd pay for what's basically a TS clone with an etched logo IMO :shrug: though if I bought pedals brand new only I'd be more interested since it's not much more than a Maxon 808 or OD9.

I'll agree with a couple of other people above and say that 1.) $200 is my absolute limit for an overdrive, and even that would have to be something pretty different, and 2.) ProTone will see a significant decrease in sales of the regular/bigger Bulb overdrives since a lot of people who mindlessly buy Misha's sig/endorsed gear want to pay as little as possible for most stuff like this :fawk: :flame:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So it seems most modded tubescreamers do the same basic mods. Ie. Less of a bass cut, less of a mid boost, and more gain.

According to mishas original video, the "attack" switch adds more mids, cuts more bass and reduces the gain slightly. Does this mean it brings it back to normal (or close to normal) tubescreamer specs?

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
Can just as easily get something more versatile like the VFE Focus, the Green Rhino or even a hardwire cm-2

This x1000!

One could buy a used CM2 for less than $50! IMO, it's the most versatile, while still maintaining affordability, stock TS clone ever. I still love mine even though I no longer have tubes in need of screaming. It still sounds cool through my HD500X's "digitubes."

protest

Reaction score
You could get a CM-2. "Attack mode" is when you turn the high EQ up. That's like $45-60 pedal used. I have an MXR Badass Modified OD, and if you want more high mids and less bass you turn off the low mid bump, turn the tone above noon, and turn the 100hz knob below noon. That's $100 new.

I don't see the point of expensive OD's unless you actually use them as an OD, and not a sort of parametric EQ like we all (mostly) do.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I'm enjoying my Bulb OD more than I expected.

Would I pay the price again? Probably not, but I don't regret it. Really want to try an SD805 .

Taylord

Reaction score
I actually got the green version as a gift. It's pretty sweet, but I don't really use the attack switch. If I was in the market, I would probably go with the 805 as well.

narsh

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in since i got one not to long ago. It was my first OD pedal purchase with the intention of tightening up,the lows on my elevenrack as opposed to the simulated OD.

I ordered the pedal on 11/29/14 and received it on 1/20/15! Supposedly the mail,had issues but it seems to me like they sat on it. You'd think that for the price, they'd include a stinking powersupply but they didnt. So i had to wait another 5 days til they sent one.

Plugged it in, it worked fine for a day or two. Here is a sample

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/romeroenr/protonemultiple[/SC]

Now the LED stopped working and everything sounds like crap. I emailed them but I'm already considering this one a loss.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Figured I'd chime in since i got one not to long ago. It was my first OD pedal purchase with the intention of tightening up,the lows on my elevenrack as opposed to the simulated OD.

I ordered the pedal on 11/29/14 and received it on 1/20/15! Supposedly the mail,had issues but it seems to me like they sat on it. You'd think that for the price, they'd include a stinking powersupply but they didnt. So i had to wait another 5 days til they sent one.

Plugged it in, it worked fine for a day or two. Here is a sample

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/romeroenr/protonemultiple[/SC]

Now the LED stopped working and everything sounds like crap. I emailed them but I'm already considering this one a loss.

You should crack it open and post a pic. I am curious if the wiring is still as awful as it used to be.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
The VFE Focus looks like my best option for more 7 string clarity. I use big strings and 25.5 scale so I need more bite. But for our drop C set I'm going to continue to use the Bad Monkey or an OD sim outta the 1101.

Jaimie

Pinkie Anchorer
Reaction score
If its the price you are worried about just grab a b-stock one in sales, got mine for 80 dollars and 15 shipping to UK and I'm sure even cheaper deals are found on ebay et cetera so it's worth trying.

Also, not to go off topic but paid for mine 8 weeks ago and not arrived yet. This is normal for pro tone right?