Proud Papa - My 2 year old on 2 wheels....

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Fellas - have to share this with you - this kid is one of those fearless types, so we are rolling with it....he will be 3 next weekend, and I got him this for his birthday, but we gave it to him before then in trade for his pacifier.....

:scream: :hbang: :scream:

He had a balance bike before this - which is a GREAT learning tool - if you have a young child i strongly recommend getting a balance bike for them and avoiding training wheels altogether. Our little guy went from tearing up the balance bike (could go on bike rides as a family), then his first time on the pedal bike could not even pedal. We practiced two more times and the video above happened - that was actually his second run riding by himself - if we would have gotten the first run on video, i would not have posted audio since my wife and I were geeking out even more than this :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Awesome. Loosing a binky is a good compromise. :yesway:

Yeah...its been almost a week and hes still asking for it and bedtime...a few meltdowns about it too. My wife is sick and he was up again tonight asking for it.....so i introduced him to the thumb! Now everyone is getting some rest finally :lol:

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Interesting. As soon as I made the pacifier compromise with my son, he quit cold turkey. Coincidentally my son isn't the fearless type :lol:

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
I wasn't able to ride a bike or swim until I was 7 simply for lack of trying... I lived in fear of falling or drowning, mostly because my parents placed immense pressure on me to do it. Never heard of a balance bike but I'm glad you opted for that route. It's a shizload better then some dude yelling at you JUST KEEP PEDALING NO NO NO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WHY DID YOU FALL IS THE PAVEMENT HURT?

:lol: but seriously congrats. Keep making sure that these types of experiences are positive and your kind won't end up bitter and jaded like half of us on SS.org :-D

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
That's awesome man, congrats! My daughter (5) just learned about a month ago. I wish we started sooner when she had a smaller bike as that might have been easier. The trick was taking off the pedals (so kind of like those balance bikes but without having to buy a separate bike). Once we took those pedals off and I made a game for her to see if she could keep beating her record of keeping her feet up without touching the ground it was game on!! Learned in no time!

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
This is so cute, man :lol: What an awesome kid. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was like 6!

I think i was probably 5 at the earliest. i mean, the bikes we had back in the day were more death trap than conducive to learning to ride. I believe mine had some kind of concrete filled tire and i don't think my dad could even pedal it lol.

thanks for the well wishes everyone - he's doing well on it, stil can't/won't start on his own - i think he needs some more strength in his legs and maybe some motivation to try more.

warilaopi

Reaction score
Keep making sure that these types of experiences are positive and your kind won't end up bitter and jaded like half of us on SS.org
c92u9n

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That is so awesome. We have a skate/BMX park near us, and one day I saw a kid bombing around in there who couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old. Totally fearless. Apparently, as soon as his big brother got a two-wheeler, he wanted one as well, and mastered it in no time.