PRS Archon 25W Combo

• Thread starter Mullet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mullet

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have an option on a used 25W PRS Archon Amp. Does anyone have one and how do they rate from your perspective? As an ex-6505+ and Mesa 2x12 guy who no longer has the desire for such a heavyweight rig I'm seriously considering the Archon.

Thanks for your help! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metallifan3091

Reaction score
I have an Archon 25w combo and I LOVE it. That said, it's my only tube amp and I only use it in my apartment for practice on my own and jamming with recorded tracks, so I may not be the best source of info depending on what you'd like to know about it. Feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out.

Mullet

Reaction score
Thanks @metallifan3091

How clear is the amp with middling gain? I need something that can play “busy chords” with a shit load of clarity. Also, how tight is the bottom end?

metallifan3091

Reaction score
I think the amp is great for 'busy chords' and things of that sort. I have a guitar with a SD Pegasus in A standard and another with a SD Black Winter in D standard and it doesn't have any trouble with clarity or low end tightness with either. I do use a Tube Screamer with mine but it may be possible to EQ the amp so that you don't really need to, based on the tones that you're going for.

The lead channel has a TON of gain on tap, but it's pretty responsive to different settings and it takes pedals really well on both channels. The clean is exceedingly clear and articulate but does start to break up nicely if you really crank the channel volume.

There's another thread on here that has a shootout video between an Archon and a block letter 5150, and the guy on there gets them to sound remarkably similar, so if you're happy with the 5150 sound I imagine you'll like the Archon. I have no complaints about mine whatsoever.

The 1

Reaction score
Thanks @metallifan3091

How clear is the amp with middling gain? I need something that can play “busy chords” with a shit load of clarity. Also, how tight is the bottom end?

I have one and really like it. I would say it does do chords with clarity on gain. For tightening the bottom end, you have a good amount of control over shaping the sound. In addition to bass/mid/treble eq per chanel, you have a master depth and presence control. I'd turn depth down and presence up to tighten up the sound.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I owned the 50 watt combo for a couple of years and LOVED it! One of the best high gain amps on the market IMO. It can literally do eveything. The only reason I sold it was because I needed a 3 channel amp, I would still own it if it was!

Mullet

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!! Much appreciated!! It seems like this is a pretty safe bet then!

jclogston

Reaction score
How does it compare to the EVH 50watt? I'm interested in the fact that the archon 25 has a half wattage switch.