PRS Silver Sky DRAMA with Zach Myers and John Mayer???

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Any idea why John Mayer would get upset over something like this? I don't really know/follow him to understand if there is a hidden context that I'm missing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
Maybe it would steal the thunder of the bonnie pink release? Also seems a bit overdramatized. At the end of the day its his guitar who cares, John Mayer probably has bigger fish to fry.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Sounds like he got a pretty heated phone call. Maybe PRS or whomever needs to put it in the contract if they don't want him playing it or showing it in public or at shows. I say release a reissue of this guitar as his new sig model to piss both PRS and John Mayer off even more, cause that's rock n roll. They're just mad he beat them to their own ideas and came up with it first! To think someone acutally called all heated up about the mod's someone did to their own personal guitar is kinda disturbing. I've a lot of people tel lme they hate green guitars but nobody that ever got super heated at me and called me up to tell me it. Fucking psycho. If you look how he talks about it you can tell it was somene who was pretty fn mad by his expression on his face. geez. He says it was someone named Beth, which is close enough to Karen in my book. haha. He does admit to ripping off the relicing though.

Last edited:

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Well I was gonna spray paint my green strat black but now I feel like I better have my people check with Clapton’s people first just in case.

This is confusing. As guitarists do we have to start calling dibs on colors of our guitars? There has to be more to this. No one can be arrogant enough to assert dominion over a color

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
How much you wanna bet if you went on Reverb right now all pink strats are marked up 150% with the warning "get 'em now before pink becomes the new lawsuit era guitar. Buy now and get a free peavey combo amp with purchase....we're not sure what we were thinking on that end....but trust us. This is legit."

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
At first I thought, "wow this guy must really be in a bad place to be worried about what some buttrock guitar dude is doing," but then I remembered that John Mayer has always exhibitied hilariously fragile masculinity:

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.16.33 AM.png

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO heavy relics look like shit and that guitar is no exception.
I'm relic-agnostic but one of the things that looks off on a heavy relic is the finish having a million sanded/worn/chipped layers but the plastic is all entirely intact, no significant cracks/chips into the wood of the body and the hardware always has "patina" but no rust.

I mean, it'd look like shit with all of those things on it but that's the difference between mojo and fake mojo.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
IMO heavy relics look like shit and that guitar is no exception.
I've just never understood how people even get a guitar to that sort of state, I mean naturally speaking. I have an Epiphone from 1970 and a Korean superstrat from 1987 and neither of them has worn through the finish anywhere despite decades of being played. How are people wearing off entire blotches of finish? I get the nicks and scrapes thing, but I genuinely don't understand how what's happened to the top of that Silver Sky can happen naturally.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've just never understood how people even get a guitar to that sort of state, I mean naturally speaking. I have an Epiphone from 1970 and a Korean superstrat from 1987 and neither of them has worn through the finish anywhere despite decades of being played. How are people wearing off entire blotches of finish? I get the nicks and scrapes thing, but I genuinely don't understand how what's happened to the top of that Silver Sky can happen naturally.
Yeah... real beaters generally don't look like that. Look at like Rory Gallagher's old strat or SRV's strat and they don't have the same "lemme take a belt sander to the paint job" type damage .