PRS Vs Ibby

legolas151

Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm want to buy a new guitar and I don't know if should go for the PRS SE Custom 24 2012 or for the limited edition Ibanez RG721.
I think they're both beautiful guitars and the specs from both of them are perfect in different ways.
I already a RG1527 and a LTD MH 327 with a bkp black hawk in the bridge (I'm gonna review this pickup later). I'll sell the LTD with its original pickups and put the black hawks in my new guitar probably...

The thing is: I love my Ibanez. I really do. But, I mean... it's a prestige... and the 721 is a premium; I'm concerned about the neck on this thing. And there's no place where I can try this guitar in my country (Brazil). Besides, it's another Ibanez; I'm not sure if I'd actually need another Ibby - or if it wouldn't differ from my RG1527 at all. I just don't know if I should kinda leave the Ibbys world or stick to them. Also, it's a limited edition with perfect specs (imo) and look, but it would be a shot in the dark sts.

I've tried a PRS SE custom 24 (2011), for which I was GASing already for some time. I really liked the neck - I was certain that this would be the one until this damn Ibby release. I got also influenced by bands like Opeth and Pocupine Tree to buy the guitar - not because I play their songs, just for their reasons.

Would you have any recomendations? Should I buy another Ibanez blindly or a PRS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xxvicarious

Reaction score
Like you said they're both awesome guitars....
Everytime I buy a PRS, Gibson, Schecter, etc,
I end up selling them a month or two later for
a new Ibanez hahaha.

Word of advice: You can NEVER own too many Ibanez :agreed:

Murmel

Reaction score
They're 2 very different guitars in pretty much every aspect.

I would say PRS as you already have an Ibanez. With the PRS you could get some more versatility out of your guitar arsenal.
However, the Ibanez Premium I played today had better quality control than the PRS SE I've played, so from that aspect the Ibanez is probably a safer bet. The Premium's seem to be a bunch of solid guitars, with solid QC.

legolas151

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm almost sure about it; I'm probably gonna buy the PRS, because my next guitar (after this one) will almost certainly be another 7, if not an 8 string... and, yeah; certainly Ibanez.

legolas151

Reaction score
It's just sad because the 721 is a limited edition and its gorgeous as well x.x
I mean.. if I regreted it I could still sell it to get the PRS, but the other way around would be a lot more difficult..

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
Very different guitars, but I'd say PRS all the way. The premiums haven't impressed me all that much. But the Prs se's are really great guitars.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Ibby 921, had it for about two weeks, sold it. The guy I sold it too, said he didn't much care for it, would be selling it soon. I did pick up a PRS SE Custom 22, and with all my PRS, I am impressed with the sound, the quality, and the set-up.

It is true, that Ibanez and PRS are very different animals. I think it boils down to personal liking. But I have been seeing that a lot of people aren't digging the Premium series....

GXPO

Reaction score

In all fairness, those threads are based off the same guitar ;)

I know "Shitson" has an RG 721 CNF and has talked about having to possibly shim the neck for better (lower) action. The PRS SE's I've played have all been good for the money.

The thing about the RG is, is just a pretty version of an RG. You'll never really lose out on getting a similar model down the line. Good luck!