PS5 thread

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching all of the trailers, and holy shit I'm excited. Hitman 3, Horizon 2. Gran Turismo 7. Godfall, Resident Evil 8. Ratchet and Clank. Demon Souls Remake. Stray. Oddworld Soulstorm.

God DAMN Im excited!

Anyone else with me on this?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I. Oddworld Soulstorm.

There's a new friggin Oddworld?!?!?!? Apparently I missed the one in 2014, so it's been a damn long time since I knew about one.

Gran Tourismo 7 looks too "glossy" somehow...for lack of a better term.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a new friggin Oddworld?!?!?!? Apparently I missed the one in 2014, so it's been a damn long time since I knew about one.

Gran Tourismo 7 looks too "glossy" somehow...for lack of a better term.

Whatever Oddworld came out on PS4 was super fun. Gran Turismo is probably more for my son, who is in a big racing car phase and likes the rate occasion I put GT Sport in.

mongey

Reaction score
Maybe I'm old and jaded ,well I know I am , but I didn't think anything was that interesting. re- makes and expected sequels .

how the hell can they justify another release of GTA5 ? just seems lazy

the time loop shooter thing sounded maybe cool

I haven't seen all the trailers yet . so I may have missed some good stuff

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I'm sitting here watching all of the trailers, and holy shit I'm excited. Hitman 3, Horizon 2. Gran Turismo 7. Godfall, Resident Evil 8. Ratchet and Clank. Demon Souls Remake. Stray. Oddworld Soulstorm.

God DAMN Im excited!

Anyone else with me on this?
I wish I cared about any of those games except GT7 but only in the hopes that it's exactly the same in its premise as everything from GT1 up to GT5.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Maybe I'm old and jaded ,well I known I am , but I didn't think anything was that interesting. re- makes and expected sequels .

how the hell can they justify another release of GTA5 ? just seems lazy

the time loop shooter thing sounded maybe cool

I haven't seen all the trailers yet . so I may have missed some good stuff

Part of me doesn't like the practise either, but I also don't like games languishing on forgotten platforms. If I could have a Need For Speed Underground 2 remaster, then I would. In a heartbeat.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I'm really only hyped for deathloop and Demon's Souls so far. The new spiderman might be neat

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently I missed the part about GTAV getting ported. While that seems lazy and they really should give us SOME news on VI, it makes sense since GTA Online makes them millions of dollars DAILY.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Death Loop looks fun, reminds me of Bioshock Infinite a bit
Horizon Forbidden Wests will be top notch like HZD, so I'm onboard for that
Spiderman, I want it to do more for me, I just don't know how much they can give us in a game that's a branch off from what we all want (ie, what villains do we go up against to make it worth it)
Returnal seems like it could be cool, just not sure if it wants to be a horror or action game
Kena: Bridge of Spirits does catch my eye, looks like a playable Disney movie. Maybe this will be the young adult launch title that Knack should have been.
RE8, if it doesnt have recurring "nothing you do can kill this one guy" bad-guys like RE7 did, will get my money for the setting alone.
Godhand, or whatever it's called, already seems like a missed marketing opportunity and it's Gearbox; so expect bullet sponge enemies with Diablo-esque gameplay and better graphics. Probably going to pass on that unless something comes along to change my mind.
Ratchet & Clank - onboard, no questions, just straight fun looking.

I also believe Stray will be the first game I platinum as I need to do everything I can for that little guy, I'm his only hope and he doesn't even know it

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
any confirmation on full backwards compatibility? ive avoided news/vids so far so i wouldn't be disappointed...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Glad they finally removed the spikes from the controller after 25 years, shame the stick is still in a dumb place. Much like PS4, don't care until there's a Kojima exclusive.

Can't believe we got through a whole console generation without a new GTA. Thanks Take Two.

FancyFish

bruh
Reaction score
What are yalls thoughts on Pragmata? Looks like it could be a Death Stranding sequel.

Siggevaio

Reaction score
Demon's Souls remake is enough for me to buy a PS5 since I didn't play it back then but got hooked on FromSoftware's games starting from Bloodborne. Ratchet & Clank is a must, as is Horizon and probably RE8 as well. I was a bit underwhelmed by the show when I watched it yesterday but looking back it was pretty awesome. Just FFVII: Remake part 2 and God of War 2 that was missing. :)

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
There weren't too many games that really excited me, but i did like host-less style of presentation of just stringing all the games in a row with minimal talking in between.

wankerness

Reaction score
1. GTA V - ENOUGH ALREADY, jesus christ, I wish people would stop playing online so they'd be motivated to do a new single player game instead of porting this yet again, cause I remember having a lot of fun with the single player campaign way back when i played it like...10 years ago? Whenever it was new on Xbox 360. Announcing this is like announcing Skyrim.

2. Spiderman Miles MOrales - Great, a trailer with no gameplay. I really didn't like the first one very much, it was like Batman Arkham Asylum/City but with very badly paced boss fights and very terrible secondary character "stealth on rails" sections that derailed it from being a game that could have been pretty great to a game with cool physics and controls and a couple good boss fights and TONS of padding. I think this could be better if they just tried to copy the pacing from the aforementioned two batman games, which are classics, and don't duplicate the drudgery that Spiderman 1 quickly fell into.

3. Gran Turismo 7 - not for me, I'm sure it will be good but I haven't played one of these since offroad mode was new in 3.

4. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - I've never played any of these. I have one that I got for free from PSN at some point. Maybe I should check it out. The trailer barely showed gameplay, it just really quickly cycled the player through a bunch of gameplay scenarios so I'm not really sure what to expect.

5. Project Athia - I liked everything I saw besides the super fast camera zooms on platforming sections, will definitely keep an eye on this. Square has hit a few things out of the park recently (ex Nier Automata) and also done a few things there's no way I would have paid more than 20 bucks for had I known the quality (FFXV) so it could go either way.

6. Stray - this could be awesome or could be like one of those high concept failures that we occasionally get. Trailer looked interesting, music was good, liked the environment, just playing as a regular cat in a real world is a unique idea (I think), but no idea what gameplay will be like based on the trailer other than you walk around.

7. Returnal - no idea what this will be like. The trailer is mostly ponderous boring plot stuff and stereotypical movie images, and then the flashes of gameplay you get at the end make it just look like a prettier MDK or Sin & Punishment as it's just locked position spamming open-terrain shooting machine gun at brightly colored enemies. Could really go either way, it might be a ponderous bore with incredibly repetitive gameplay or it could be more varied and interesting. The art direction looks great, if nothing else.

8. Sackboy - HUGE props for actually showing gameplay the whole time. Not my kind of game at all, though.

9. Destruction Allstars - they didn't show ANY gameplay in this trailer at all and as such I can only assume it's just really annoying and bad, cause the trailer sure was.

10. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - looks potentially very cool, kind of a combo of Horizon Zero Dawn and Starfox Adventures. Will wait for reviews, of course, but I'm interested. Also it obviously LOOKS incredible.

11. Oddworld Soulstorm - I don't know enough about these games to really say much. Looks like a sidescrolling puzzle platformer with a bunch of weird action elements thrown in. Probably not for me?

12. Ghostwire Tokyo - not really sure what to make of this. The graphics look kind of last gen. Gameplay looks rather dull with karatechopping and shooting lasers with your hands at a bunch of ghosts, but it's hard to tell with such tiny snippets of footage. It looks so weird that I could see it being one of those under-the-radar awesome games, or it could just suck.

13. Jett: The Far Shore - I HATE trailers with no gameplay. What is this? Is it like Sim Earth? Tropico? Minecraft? WHO KNOWS?

14. Goodbye Volcano High - I assume this is some kind of dating simulator game, or some kind of anime Life is Strange. Who knows. Not for me, no gameplay in video (but these kinds of games often don't really have "gameplay").

15. Godfall - hooray for containing gameplay footage. But, it looks like all you do is run down straight hallways (i mean, it doesn't look open world, it looks like you just run down straight maps) hitting guys with swords. Looks like a less interesting version of Kena aimed at guys who are insecure about their masculinity.

16. Solar Ash - looks pretty, but what IS it? Definitely doesn't look like my kind of thing regardless. Looks like an indie game where you run around doing very little other than looking at scenery.

17. Hitman 3 - never played any of these and thus don't really care, especially when there's not a second of gameplay in the trailer. I have heard they're fun and very well-made, but they don't sound like my kind of thing at all.

18. Astro's Playroom - looks like a cheap 3d platformer, not for me

19. Little Devil Inside - Not really sure what this is, looks like action game ala indie Uncharted sometimes, and with some outrageous enemies. Probably not for me cause I'm generally not pleased with indie games.

20. NBA 2k21 - nope

21. Bugsnax - "From the makers of octodad" has me apprehensive. That game was hilarious for about an hour, then I never wanted to play it again. I'm intrigued by the trailer, but I doubt I'll ever play it.

22. Demon's Souls - I have Dark Souls and haven't played more than an hour of it, same with Bloodborne. I hear this one was a lot easier than what came after, so I was interested back in the day, but not interested enough to ever get a PS3. Maybe I should check it out, though I suspect they'll beef up the difficulty with the port.

23. Deathloop - this looks cool, though again not sure if it's for me. The gameplay seems to be based around doing something over and over until you get it right, while I tend to like games where you don't have to fail at things repeatedly as part of the intended experience. :p Style looks neat, as do some of the weapons/abilities.

24. Resident Evil 8 - not much gameplay here, but I THINK it's still FPS based on the brief snippet that looked like gameplay footage? All the characters and locales looked way cooler than 7. As 7 was a pretty good game but stressed me out and had me relieved to finish it, I assume I'll also wait for a GOTY version of this to drop down to 20 bucks before I bite. :p

25. Pragmata - Uh, did Hideo Kojima make this? Nonsensical trailer that looks to be following the path of Death Stranding - get everyone talking about it for YEARS and speculating over what it is, ultimately make a game that plays like UPS Simulator.

26. Horizon Forbidden West - HZD is on a very short list of my favorite games ever, and the trailer didn't show much (or any?) gameplay but I still think I'll probably buy the system even if this is the only game that turns out to be any good for it. I really like the looks of it, the environments are even prettier than the first game, the new enemies look awesome, and the underwater stuff looks interesting, even if underwater sections of 3D games almost invariably turn out to be frustrating and bad. Not sure what I think of the chinese dragon stuff, I'm wondering where they're going with that!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
26. Horizon Forbidden West - HZD is on a very short list of my favorite games ever, and the trailer didn't show much (or any?) gameplay but I still think I'll probably buy the system even if this is the only game that turns out to be any good for it. I really like the looks of it, the environments are even prettier than the first game, the new enemies look awesome, and the underwater stuff looks interesting, even if underwater sections of 3D games almost invariably turn out to be frustrating and bad. Not sure what I think of the chinese dragon stuff, I'm wondering where they're going with that!

Chinatown in SF is the current estimation, as they showed off about five or six major landmarks in that area; along with the idea that they'll be doing the main coastline including down to the Las Vegas area (deserts shown in the trailer). The main game of HZD was based around Colorado, so it's not too far off geographically, but it'd be a big upgrade in scale to cover SF to Vegas.