Quad Cortex vs what?

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi. I need advice from the glorious sevenstring community.
I'm a bedroom guitarist with beefy AF PC, Adam monitors, Scarlet 2i2 and Gojira + Plini plugins which are pretty much fulfilling my needs and I really like to keep everything as simple as possible. I have no intention to gig or play in a band ATM.
The problem is, whenever I get asked by my relatives to play some song which has any tone switch (e.g. clean intro and dirty everything else), I can't really play it because I can't switch presets on the fly. I don't really want to bother to automate every song I know.
Another problem is that startup time is a factor: it takes some time to turn on my PC, load DAW, enable plugins I want, change presets. I find myself playing acoustically more than I'm playing plugged in because of that. I would like to just take a guitar and play whatever.
Space is a factor as well so I can't really go full analog because tube heads are too bulky for my apartment.
The only idea I have at the moment is to get a Quad Cortex (small and powerful thing) and use it as my audio interface + stomp box, and make some presets in it. As far as I know it has standby mode so I don't really need to turn on my PC every time I can take a guitar.
So what would you do if your priority was a clean and handy setup: little to no cables or bulky stuff and pretty much instant start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
You can get a midi controller for the NDSP plugins to switch presets and it's quite straightforward to program a button for each setting like clean rhythm and solo etc.

That doesn't really solve the plug and play aspect, but it is an option worth considering. Most people here will likely advocate for a Fractal FM3 over the Quad Cortex for a variety of good reasons. But the QC has a lot more buttons without needing a second device which seems like it may be a concern for you.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If ease of use is the goal, probably a small modeling amp. You can get smaller Boss, Yamaha, Peavey, Line 6, etc. stuff for like 1/3rd the price of the QC, and it really doesn't get more plug and play than that. :2c:
He’s not wrong.

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If ease of use is the goal, probably a small modeling amp. You can get smaller Boss, Yamaha, Peavey, Line 6, etc. stuff for like 1/3rd the price of the QC, and it really doesn't get more plug and play than that. :2c:
I had the Yamaha THR10II Wireless with Line 6 adapter, but the main problem with it was that it doesn't have a stomp box (and mobile app had quite a delay) and the third party midi controllers not only cost like half of the unit but could only change between presets up and down which is not really convenient so I ended up with the same problem regarding preset switching. It sounded surprisingly good for its size though.
Regarding Boss, the small one was far worse than Yamaha IMO. I've considered the Katana 50, but the size of it turned me away. I already have pretty good monitors so I would prefer to use them instead of the cheap speakers most modeling amps have. I'm mostly looking for convenience, the price is not really a big factor unless it's going into 5 digits lol.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I really appreciate it :)

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can get a midi controller for the NDSP plugins to switch presets and it's quite straightforward to program a button for each setting like clean rhythm and solo etc.

That doesn't really solve the plug and play aspect, but it is an option worth considering. Most people here will likely advocate for a Fractal FM3 over the Quad Cortex for a variety of good reasons. But the QC has a lot more buttons without needing a second device which seems like it may be a concern for you.
FM3 has a couple of problems for me: it would definitely require a separate stomp box because the 3 switches are definitely not doing it for me, so its 2 devices + cables. I would pay double to make it one small device. The other thing is fractal is more of "pay for features" than "pay for convenience" type of stuff and I'm in the opposite camp. I don't really want to mess with tons and tons of effects and amp sims. My friend has the Axe FX 2 and I just don't have that much time to mess with the device as he does. There is a reason why people online buy presets for it :)
As for MIDI controllers, I've seen a video from Neural DSP about connecting Behringer 1010 to their plugins. What a mess that was :D
But the MIDI Commander seems like a legit option if I could close my eyes at the startup time. Thanks for the advice :)

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Either a nice combo amp that sounds ok at appartment volumes, or a Line6 Helix lt which has also expression pedal, so you fix & store your presets easily once using your pc and then you play only with the helix lt & your monitors 😉

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man wants a QC and is looking for validation for his GAS not suggestions. Go get you a QC man you don't need our permission
Nice projection but I'm too old to ask for permission. I'm looking for options. Midi commander is one of them, thanks StevenC for suggestion BTW.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice projection but I'm too old to ask for permission. I'm looking for options. Midi commander is one of them, thanks StevenC for suggestion BTW.

Got to be honest it sounds like you decided you're buying a QC and are making sure nobody can talk you out of it. You've shot down multiple valid options with some pretty weak arguments. Just go buy the QC and get it over with.

Toisen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got to be honest it sounds like you decided you're buying a QC and are making sure nobody can talk you out of it. You've shot down multiple valid options with some pretty weak arguments. Just go buy the QC and get it over with.
If I decided, I wouldn't ask anybody :)
Regarding valid options, there was some indeed (the first two answers and Helix LT which I'm googling rn), then there are mostly "buy a combo amp". IDK maybe the reason "I don't have space" is weak for some, but not for me. I really think about midi controller atm, but I never messed with any of them so I need some time to Google the caveats. It seems pretty easy to setup (not the Behringer 1010 though. This one scares me).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I cant imagine buying a controller just to occasionally play songs for relatives, but im the guy that bought a whole rig on verbal “you’re in” only to be told “you’re out” 4 weeks later :lol:

Honestly if its to play songs for relatives, run a ndsp that cleans up with your volume knob. Are they critiquing the playing and tone too? No? Then who cares :yesway:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
FM3 has a couple of problems for me: it would definitely require a separate stomp box because the 3 switches are definitely not doing it for me, so its 2 devices + cables. I would pay double to make it one small device. The other thing is fractal is more of "pay for features" than "pay for convenience" type of stuff and I'm in the opposite camp. I don't really want to mess with tons and tons of effects and amp sims. My friend has the Axe FX 2 and I just don't have that much time to mess with the device as he does. There is a reason why people online buy presets for it :)
As for MIDI controllers, I've seen a video from Neural DSP about connecting Behringer 1010 to their plugins. What a mess that was :D
But the MIDI Commander seems like a legit option if I could close my eyes at the startup time. Thanks for the advice :)
I use a Morningstar MC8 with NDSP plugins and it's super simple. Takes almost no time to set up and it's super powerful. I use this controller for different midi rigs, but to my computer it's just a USB cable. For my money it is the best midi controller, though the smaller MC6 or MC3 might suit you very well. For example using the MC3 with 3 presets and a double press to go between pages.

That said, I do think the QC is a very good choice for you. Personally a proponent of more is more when it comes to buttons and controls, and it's pretty much the leader in that department. I also think a separate unit is a much better thing to have than needing your computer whenever you want to play.

Shask

Reaction score
It seems silly to me to spend $2k just to switch sounds faster for playing songs for a relative. However, I also agree that a MIDI controller makes the most sense if you like the sound of your plugins.

I am a Fractal fan, so I say FM3. If that doesn't have enough buttons then get a FM9. My 'dont feel like turning on all the tube and rack stuff' rig is a FM3 that sits on my desks with a EX-2 expression pedal under the desk. Fractal stuff IS more complicated, but I also find I mess with the settings less than other brands because it just sounds right out of the box with less fiddling.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I mean, is the plan to change your rig entirely? It seems like the impetus behind the whole thing is "playing songs for relatives", how often does that happen? If you're going to buy something to only use it sometimes, save your money and get a Pod Go or MIDI controller. If you're wanting to get something to use all the time - and will ostensibly be compatible with your plugins at some point in the future if Neural gets their shit together on that front - then just go ahead and get the QC

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fm3 plus a boss 2-button switch for $30 and bam 5 buttons (or something else 2-button and affordable) is doable. People always leap to the expensive options :lol:

i stand by “cleaner tone via the guitar and technique” because relatives just want to hear you play, they dont care if its accurate to a song.