What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
As someone who used to be pretty all in on prs, get the fender :yesway:

After spending a bunch of time with my vela and se ss the last couple days I kind of decided I don’t really need another single coil guitar, and if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a PRS inshould just find a used HB lol

Kind of circling back to previous has for strandberg. Looking at the NX6 standards again… still definitely not a fan of that price point for a Cort guitar but I understand there’s at least a few build cost aspects demanding a higher price

Someone on another forum told me I should go with an original series…. But I kinda draw the line well before $2300 for a Cort. Also I think using a veneer on a guitar at that price point is just douchey. I do like that it’s swamp ash, but that’s whatever basswood is fine on the standard

Last edited:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Isn't Paul a tall guy? Seems like a lot of stuff looks tiny on him. Big man needs a big guitar.
His bedazzled flying V (I think he did that himself) was cool, but otherwise, I'm not a fan of the various other guitars he used during his career (well, during the makeup years). The BC Rich guitars were cool, but I still prefer the Firebirds.

Paul also used Explorers, though it seems that he used them in 76 (Destroyer/Rock and Roll Over tours), then again in 79/80 (Dynasty "The Return of KISS" and Unmasked "KISSTeria" Australian tours). I don't think he used them much for the Love Gun and Alive II tours in 77, though the white one did occassionally pop up.

Ace with the Korina Explorer was cooler looking. If it were up to me, Ace would've used Explorers and Paul would've used Firebirds (and double neck SGs, since he was into doing 12 string stuff for overdubs/rhythms).

1974-12-20_Detroit01.jpg1975-05-15_Firebird.jpg1974-12-20_FirebirdI.jpg1976-11-15_Explorer.jpg1979-11-07_GibsonExplorerII.jpg
This one is from the Love Gun/Alive II era (however, it seemed his more common guitar of choice was the Ibanez Iceman):
1977-08-XX_GibsonExplorer.jpg1976-11-27_GibsonExplorer.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Was about to post about wanting a more organic Phaser to replace my digital sounding/intermittently working Boss Phase Shifter.

Then found, and scored a Mooer Orange Ninety Phaser on eBay for £14.
My favorites tend to be the 6 stage Phasers. I am not a huge Phaser person, but usually the 6 stage ones have a cool sweep to them that is different than the standard 4 stage ones. I have a clone I built of the Mu-Tron Phasor II that is probably my favorite sounding.

Alonious_Monk

Permanently Tired.
Reaction score
My favorites tend to be the 6 stage Phasers. I am not a huge Phaser person, but usually the 6 stage ones have a cool sweep to them that is different than the standard 4 stage ones. I have a clone I built of the Mu-Tron Phasor II that is probably my favorite sounding.
Can't say I've heard Mu-Tron Phasers, I'll have to give that a listen. I'm not a huge Phaser user which is why I'm going for a more classic style than anything too out there.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So I saw this Malmsteen pop up.

20240706_182909.jpg

I have a rosewood Malmsteen (3rd gen) and I prefer the rosewood, but the price was decent and I noticed some figuring (or what appeared to be figuring) in the neck. Blown away in real life!

20240706_182929.jpg

Man, love the giant headstock when it's figured. And the whole neck is like that. Anyway, I'm no expert but I've never seen such figuring except maybe on this one YouTuber's old Malmsteen, and where he specifically talks about the figuring for like 10 minutes in that video.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I want a 70s strat but I’m not sure I could appreciate or discern the difference between a fender Japan or vintners II or lawsuit copy or a classic vibe but the main issue is the colors on the squires are all kind of mid

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want a 70s strat but I’m not sure I could appreciate or discern the difference between a fender Japan or vintners II or lawsuit copy or a classic vibe but the main issue is the colors on the squires are all kind of mid

Just keep an eye on Music Go Round and when you see a MIJ Strat with a big stock, grab it. Tons of cool Fender, Squier, Fernandes, Ibanez, Greco, etc. comes through for well under $1k, it just tends to go fairly quickly so you have to stalk it.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Was this at Ish guitars or Brians at one point? Rings a vague bell.
I actually tried to find the original dealer before I pulled the trigger, but never did figure it out. It's likely from either Brian's or Ish. Picked it up on reverb about a week ago... Still waiting on UPS to deliver it. The specs were just too good to pass up. I had a CU24 previously with a rosewood neck nothing has topped that neck since.

• Tremonti
  • Wood Library
  • Yellow Tiger Finish
  • Quilted Maple "10 Top"
  • Mahogany Back
  • Indian Rosewood Neck
  • Tremonti Neck Carve
  • Ebony Fretboard
  • Bird Inlays
  • Smoked Black Hardware
  • Stoptail Bridge
  • PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
  • Tremonti Pickups
plqzahgunopkmi1z4sns.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Can't say I've heard Mu-Tron Phasers, I'll have to give that a listen. I'm not a huge Phaser user which is why I'm going for a more classic style than anything too out there.
Yeah, the Phase 90 is pretty much THE Phaser sound. It is a 4 stage Phaser, as most of the common ones are.

I am not a huge Phaser fan either, but I pulled out a few of the ones I had the other day and was playing them. I have built clones of several of them, including Uni-Vibe types.

I am more of a Chorus person overall.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
How "70s" does it need to be? IE, does it need to have the same size frets, bullet truss rod adjustment, and big headstock? Or does it just need to have the big headstock?

Shask

Reaction score
How "70s" does it need to be? IE, does it need to have the same size frets, bullet truss rod adjustment, and big headstock? Or does it just need to have the big headstock?
I have never been a fan of the huge headstocks. That is one reason I have never really looked at Squire seriously.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Just a big headstock. I think it's going to be a Olympic White classic vibe, it's not the lowest of the lowest whale shit rung so I don't have to feel bad putting parts I want on it.

Last edited: