Question regarding Keith Merrow Fishman set

• Thread starter Stuck_in_a_dream
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
So, I received the Fishman KM 6-string set today. To my surprise, when I looked at the bottom side of the pickups, the neck pickup reads "Fluence Classic Neck 6-string", while the bridge one reads "Keith Merrow Bridge 6-string". Is that ok? I knew the neck pickup was based on the Fluence Classic voicing, not that it was actually a Fluence Classic for production :confused:.

I just need someone to confirm, so that if it is a mistake, I'd need to return/exchange it. My plans for this set is to install them in my first Warmoth build, a Tele that borrows quite a bit from KM-iii specs. Will post all about it when done.

Best.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I've seen it mentioned in media releases that it's just a plain Classic neck. I'll see what I can dig up for you tomorrow after work. If I don't find any definitive answer, I'll pull mine up enough to see. Send me a pic of your pickup where it says Classic on it so I know where to look at.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Sure thing, here:
47uzffn72e4w6zj6g.jpg

6vvifxtpaunbgtw6g.jpg

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
....a quick update:
So I submitted a support ticket to Fishman to inquire about this, and they responded, within minutes, that this is indeed the case. KM's neck pickup IS the same as the Fluence Classic Open-core neck pickup.

So, overall, I think I'm fine, just thought that Fishman should have been more forthcoming about this. Nowhere on their KM product page they say anything to this effect. Maybe KM changed his mind later on, given what he said already regarding considerable modifications of the Classic neck pickup during the design phase. Or, maybe Fishman decided that such mods were not too dramatic to warrant a new pickup, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

What do you guys think?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
....a quick update:
So I submitted a support ticket to Fishman to inquire about this, and they responded, within minutes, that this is indeed the case. KM's neck pickup IS the same as the Fluence Classic Open-core neck pickup.

So, overall, I think I'm fine, just thought that Fishman should have been more forthcoming about this. Nowhere on their KM product page they say anything to this effect. Maybe KM changed his mind later on, given what he said already regarding considerable modifications of the Classic neck pickup during the design phase. Or, maybe Fishman decided that such mods were not too dramatic to warrant a new pickup, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

What do you guys think?

I think it should be stated that it's a modified Classic bridge and UNMODIFIED Classic neck just for the sole fact that people who have already tried the Classic set, will know what they're getting if they want to try the Keith Merrow set or vice versa.

Maybe they only changed the neck pickup for the seven string version, since I suppose it is the one that Keith focused on in the design phase?

7-string set is the same way

sscxd6rav88uwvx6g.jpg

Last edited:

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I actually stand corrected, it's on the product page!!!!! But still it doesn't make any sense in contrast with KM comments from design phase!!!!

Anyway, here's the description from the product page, and 2018 catalog.
With almost 62,000 Facebook followers and another 83,000 subscribers on YouTube, Keith Merrow is a visionary guitarist for the new world. With his credibility, passion, and a keen ear for the nuances that make the difference between good and great sound, Keith knows what he wants from a pickup, and how he wants it to feel under his fingers. As a passive pickup player, Keith has become accustomed to the bold way that a passive pickup responds to the initial pick attack. This, when combined with Fluence’s up-front dynamics and extended frequency response allowed Keith to finally voice a pickup free of the limitations of traditional pickup designs. When combined with the Classic Open Core neck pickup, Keith’s custom bridge pickup delivers an incredibly versatile range of tones for the modern guitarist.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I actually stand corrected, it's on the product page!!!!! But still it doesn't make any sense in contrast with KM comments from design phase!!!!

Anyway, here's the description from the product page, and 2018 catalog.

That's what I had read before but I thought it was just a third-party's comments on a news article about the release. Didn't know it was copy-pasted from the product page. haha

Strobe

Reaction score
I think they changed the voice 3 single coil voice on the most recent classics. At the time KM made the statement, it was probably true that it was different than the classic models. Fishman just updated the classics to have a different V3.

Reaction score
So, I received the Fishman KM 6-string set today. To my surprise, when I looked at the bottom side of the pickups, the neck pickup reads "Fluence Classic Neck 6-string", while the bridge one reads "Keith Merrow Bridge 6-string". Is that ok? I knew the neck pickup was based on the Fluence Classic voicing, not that it was actually a Fluence Classic for production :confused:.

I just need someone to confirm, so that if it is a mistake, I'd need to return/exchange it. My plans for this set is to install them in my first Warmoth build, a Tele that borrows quite a bit from KM-iii specs. Will post all about it when done.

Best.

Hey stuck in a dream... My name is ken susi, the guitarist for unearth and brand manager for Fluence. You are correct. Keith Merrow voiced a bridge pickup with us and when it came time to develope a custon neck, he couldn't see past our Classic neck humbucker. He liked the tone so much that we made it a part of his custom set. If you need anymore information, please go to the Fishman site

Thanks

Reaction score
As i stated below, keith's bridge pickup is custom voiced. When he played on our classic neck pickup, he couldn't imagine better neck voicings. This is exactly what he demanded for his custom pickup set. Fishman gave keith crestive freedom to do whatever and this is what he arrived at.

Last edited:

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
Hey guys, Keith here. Sorry for any confusion. At the time I wrote that post in question, the pickups were close to being released. We did indeed mess with the voicing and output of the neck pickup when I was working on this custom set. At the time, I was fairly certain that's what we were going to go with. But once I heard the split coil V3 on the new Classic Open Core (which came later), I was totally sold on it. So, that's what comes in the KM Custom Fluence set. I really just loved the Open Core Classic neck and the way it paired with the custom voiced bridge pickup. Hope that helps, thanks!

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Many thanks Ken, Keith for the explanation. I do really appreciate it, you guys rule :hbang::hbang::hbang:.
I have 2 Fluence Classic sets by the way, so it's not like I don't like how they sound :D. I didn't know about these latest developments, and was a bit confused when I received the set. All good now, thanks again!