Racking up small Peavey amps

sadomano

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello guys, I was looking for a small amp that I can put in a rack with Twonotes Torpedo Live and i found some options like Laney IRT-Studio, those small Victory amps and some of hughes&kettner`s amps but I didn`t quite like those amp`s ( maybe Laney is good ) and I found Peavey made small version of Invective but i couldn`t find racked version of that amp, do you guys know how can i put that amp on rack or do you have any solutions ?

Thanks for your interest.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I know Mesa Mark IV and JP2C both can be found with a rack mount if those are more up your alley. Otherwise it wouldn’t be too difficult to remove the Invective MH amp from the headshell and fab a rack mount for it. It’s only 14” wide so you could even grab a rack shelf and bolt it to that, with room to spare.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is this a live-in situation that you plan on gigging?

They make rack cases to fit all manner of amps, they just hold everything in place with foam, sort of like a mini shock mount.

You can also just attach the amp to a rack shelf.

laxu

Reaction score
The whole reason racks died was because nobody wanted to haul those damn behemoths. Other than storage in a studio/home situation I just don't see a benefit to cramming full tube amps into a rack.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The whole reason racks died was because nobody wanted to haul those damn behemoths. Other than storage in a studio/home situation I just don't see a benefit to cramming full tube amps into a rack.

In fact, nowadays everyone and their mums want full tube amps for playing at home and recording direct. I can't understand why they don't go into rack mode. I already have two preamps, and I won't stop there :lol:

lewis

Reaction score
yet most on here seem fine with lugging around huge weighty 100 watt tube amps and 4x12 cabs?

laxu

Reaction score
yet most on here seem fine with lugging around huge weighty 100 watt tube amps and 4x12 cabs?

I don't think most people enjoy moving 4x12 cabs and a decent size rack can weigh as much or more quite quickly.

lewis

Reaction score
I don't think most people enjoy moving 4x12 cabs and a decent size rack can weigh as much or more quite quickly.
think it depends on context

like i got my band to invest into a large tour case on wheels with the idea of it being the bands Hub. I.e ALL our gear bar the drum stuff obviously, inside.
in that situation it seems brilliant because all you have is one large case for everything, and just guitar cases.

if the band all had 4 separate smaller rack cases, even if combined it was the same weight, that seems a BS idea thats overly bulky taking up more space than needed.

sadomano

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I won`t be using any cabs because I will plug in to Twonotes Torpedo live so it will go DI to the front of house and that`s why I wan`t to build a rack so everything is in one place and I just pick the rack case and go. The amp that Im thinking about is Peavey Invective MH it has smaller size than a normal Pevay Invectives that`s how Im planning to manage them in one rack case if i can lul.

sadomano

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know Mesa Mark IV and JP2C both can be found with a rack mount if those are more up your alley. Otherwise it wouldn’t be too difficult to remove the Invective MH amp from the headshell and fab a rack mount for it. It’s only 14” wide so you could even grab a rack shelf and bolt it to that, with room to spare.
They are just too much money for me but rack shelf option is really logical to me thank you for your suggestion I will definelty consider it.

sadomano

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is this a live-in situation that you plan on gigging?

They make rack cases to fit all manner of amps, they just hold everything in place with foam, sort of like a mini shock mount.

You can also just attach the amp to a rack shelf.
Yes those foam cases are an option but what I found out is that they are expensive and amp can get overheated in them ( I live in cyprus and weather can get up to 42 degree here ) and live situation is yes and no at the same time I just want my rig to be tidy so i don`t deal with seperate equipment and everyting is in one place.

Beheroth

Reaction score
how about a kartakou colossus then ? it's a 5150 rack preamp (all toobs), pair it with a rack poweramp (tube or SS) boom done.

lewis

Reaction score
on this actually, ive seen people convert the 5150 combo amps into heads
can the same be done into a rack?
can you even buy empty rack chassis ?

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I think the Invective MH is still a while away from showing up.

sadomano

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
on this actually, ive seen people convert the 5150 combo amps into heads
can the same be done into a rack?
can you even buy empty rack chassis ?
lol maybe they do some kinda custom chasis idk but why would you do that

sadomano

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
how about a kartakou colossus then ? it's a 5150 rack preamp (all toobs), pair it with a rack poweramp (tube or SS) boom done.
Only that is 450 euros I don't know with the whole thing i guess buying an amp is cheaper and It's tone is not same with the Invective but thank you for your suggestion I learnt new thing from you I didin't know that such a thing existed thank you.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because these are so bulky and makes your amp over heat I live in Cyprus and in summers i can go up to 40 degree

I don't know. I've played in clubs in South Florida where the temperature was at least 35C and in Arizona where it was just over 40C and never had a problem with two amp heads in a live in rack. As long as the front and back covers are off there shouldn't be a problem.