Randall rg 150 watt head vs 2x12 150 watt combo?

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a new amp. I definitely want the Randall. I'm only looking for a 2x12, something that sounds good at bedroom and band settings. Im not sure if I want to buy the head and a 2x12 to hook it up to or just buy the 2x12 combo. The settings are exactly the same as far as I see. Is there going to be a tonal difference? They are both solid state.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Their might be a bit of tone difference if the speakers and cab dimensions are different. I’d always opt for head and separate cab. It’s easier (lighter) to lug around in two pieces and just looks cooler imo. But if I saw a great deal on a combo I’d snag it up...and probably build a head cabinet to house it in:lol:

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I'll always go for a head/cab over a combo. Easier to move, always nice to try different cabs with amp heads, cooler looking.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you getting this amp because you love it and plan to hang onto it or is it just a stop gap between something else?

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
Are you getting this amp because you love it and plan to hang onto it or is it just a stop gap between something else?

I've wanted a randall for a long time. As much I would love a good tube amp or a half stack, a 2x12 just really works between living with neighbors on the other side of me and lugging it around. Mainly using it as a practice amp.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've wanted a randall for a long time. As much I would love a good tube amp or a half stack, a 2x12 just really works between living with neighbors on the other side of me and lugging it around. Mainly using it as a practice amp.

Then grab whichever is cheaper.

You know you dig it, and it doesn't seem like you're going to be going through tons of gear to justify the modularity of the head/cab setup.