Randall RM22 HDX buy it or not?

ppazin

Reaction score
Few days ago, I bided for Randall RM22 HDX head and I won.

That is modular 20w head that take 2 Randall or Egnater module preamp that are interchangeable.

In description of auction, shop wrote that one module (XTC) is missing, and amp has only DLX module, so they warning that amp has distortion module and doesn't have clean module.

I am fine with that because distortion is all that I need, BUT, after I won I check description of modules on internet, and apparently it has Deluxe module based on the preamp circuit of a Fender Blackface Deluxe, and XTC module based on the preamp circuit of a Bogner Ecstasy red channel is missing. Now they assure me that DLX module has distortion, but I am not sure what to do. Price is good. But I feel cheated. I think that head actually has clean clean module and doesn't have distortion module, and that's quite opposite of what they are claiming.
Should I buy it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
A cranked Deluxe can get pretty dirty. In fact, it was a the basis for the original Lee Jackson preamp. That said, I have no idea what Randall's take is on that particular Fender model. You'd have to try and find some reviews or clips to see if it is suitable for your needs. And as a heads up, the Lee Jackson Deluxe is an 80s hard rock / metal tone - not extreme metal or the like.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The DLX has some gain on tap, but it's not a lot of gain. With the gain at 10, it's more like a crunchy tone than an all-out distortion.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Its both, mate. A Clean Deluxe is a classic blackface Fender. And when you push the preamp hard, it gets quite crunchy. Its not a Triple Rec or a 5150, but its more like a cranked 70s Marshall.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Its both, mate. A Clean Deluxe is a classic blackface Fender. And when you push the preamp hard, it gets quite crunchy. Its not a Triple Rec or a 5150, but its more like a cranked 70s Marshall.

Exactly this. I'd imagine with an OD pedal it could get some decent distortion, enough for some '70s and '80s metal, but nothing modern.

ppazin

Reaction score
So, if most 2 canal amps has clean and distortion canal, are you saying that XTC is clean and DLX is distortion canal?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
No, the XTC is a distortion module based on the red (high gain) channel of the Bogner Ecstasy. The DLX can be both a clean and overdrive module. At it's highest gain setting, the best it can achieve is an AC/DC-style crunch.

p4vl

Reaction score
If you can spare the extra money, there are modders out there that do unbelievable stuff with those modules.

ppazin

Reaction score
So you recon I should buy it? I am still bit upset because shop put wrong description of amp, trying to sell it. I would not even consider to buy if they put out truth that amp has only clean module, and no (real) distortion.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If they about not including the module, then don't do it unless you want to buy an extra module, which'll run around $200 extra USD.

p4vl

Reaction score
So you recon I should buy it? I am still bit upset because shop put wrong description of amp, trying to sell it. I would not even consider to buy if they put out truth that amp has only clean module, and no (real) distortion.

I would not. Even if you saved up a couple hundred to mod the MTS module, I don't think the Deluxe can be used for anything but clean modules:

Products
Salvation mods - MTS Mods

I reeeally wanted to get an RM50 and a couple of modded MTS's but that stuff gets expensive quickly.

Oh, and Randall does not make the MTS modules anymore. I think the people that sell modified MTS's bought up their unsold modules.

Elric

Reaction score
A fender deluxe is very NOT metal. Sorry. You will want another module to compliment it. Modules are going to be via the used market most likely. eBay etc

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Does any shop still selling original modules?

They go for $125 on ebay. Nobody asks more for them or they don't sell, unless already modded. Got over to the MTS Forums, I'm sure someone will let a stocker go for cheap.