Randall T2 head problem "between" preamp and power amp - please help!

Alexander Guth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am having a problem with my old and up until now trusty Randall T2 head: There appears to be a problem with the signal of the preamp section not reaching the power amp section properly. The sound is extremely low and quite distorted. I took the amp to a technician but he was not able to find the issue as he could not get his hands on full schematics. Furthermore, I have to say that I doubt his competence. However, fact is: The preamp section itself and the tubes are fine and in working order. Strangely, same applies for the power amp section! Both got tested successfully. So the problem appears to be the connection between the two. By now I got my hands on full and correct schematics of the amp, but as I said I have legitimate doubts about the skills of the workshop I have at my disposal here. Before I sell this amp as "hobbyist project", I have a question for a possible workaround (my apologies if this is a dumb idea on my side thinking about this): Would it be possible to "patch" preamp and poweramp by using the slave output and the FX loop (send/return)? My idea would be using the slave output and patching it with a cable to the FX return of the amp. Or would this be total nonsense? Many thanks and greetings from Northern Germany :) Alex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It had the wrong fuse but even throwing the correct one in, it still sounded damaged.

There was a blowout of sale of NOS T2’s and V2’s like 2 years ago and a bunch of people had problems with them. You might have gotten a lemon.